Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 184

Thread: Great Quotes

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    41,268
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    "a potato that says he's a tomato is still a potato."

    I don't remember who said it, but it was clearly one of the great thinkers of our time... OR someone who thinks potatoes can talk. And who knew... potatoes are boys. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    i think it was me
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    19,138
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Belief is a wise wager. Granted that faith cannot be proved, what harm will come to you if you gamble on its truth and it proves false? If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager, then, without hesitation, that He exists."

    ~ Also Blaise Pascal
    Believing in God just to cover all the bases is a disingenuous and cowardly way to practice religion.
    ~ Ezekial, 2/24/2017

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hammond, IN
    Posts
    2,734
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Just because you can't see the benevolence in what He does doesn't mean it isn't benevolent. I would bet your kid(s) don't think you sending them to school is very benevolent, but sure enough you are doing it for their own good.
    Yep.

    Just because countless numbers of people suffer unspeakable horrors doesn't mean there isn't benevolence going on in there somewhere.

    Oh, but that's not OMNI benevolence, is it? See, OMNI benevolence is different from just plain old benevolence, ain't it?
    So someone who is Omni-benevolent must stop others from hurting themselves and others?

    Is that your argument?
    Kind of, although now you've alluded to omnipotence. So if he has the power to do everything but still lets bad things happen he can't be omni benevolent.

    If something bad has to happen in order for something good to happen, THAT isn't Omni benevolence
    i

    I appreciate the try to push God into your little box but surprisingly enough... He doesn't live within the constraints of your mind.

    This argument, omnipotent and omnibenevolent, not being able to coexist was settled a long time ago. Even educated atheists don't argue this point any longer.

    If you'd like to be more educated on this, since you want to argue from this standpoint, you should read Plantinga's Free Will Defense. But when you do... actually read it... don't just sit there and try to argue with it. Many have tried and and all have failed.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    28,345
    ...challenge accepted

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    29,666
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Mein Kampf was written in 1925... clearly his views had changed over time...

    "The religions are all alike, no matter what they call themselves. They have no future- certainly none for the Germans. Facism, if it likes, may come to terms with the Church. So shall I. Why not? That will not prevent me from tearing up Christianity root and branch, and annihilating it in Germany."

    Sounds awfully atheistic if you ask me...
    Your point is his atheism was a direct contributor to his beliefs, his beliefs clearly pre-date his atheism. So atheism wasn't the prime motivator or reasoning for any of his atrocities.

    But let's not let facts get in the way.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    29,666
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    I appreciate the try to push God into your little box but surprisingly enough... He doesn't live within the constraints of your mind.

    This argument, omnipotent and omnibenevolent, not being able to coexist was settled a long time ago. Even educated atheists don't argue this point any longer.

    If you'd like to be more educated on this, since you want to argue from this standpoint, you should read Plantinga's Free Will Defense. But when you do... actually read it... don't just sit there and try to argue with it. Many have tried and and all have failed.
    God has infinite power no? So God could, theoretically, create a world where humanity learns every single lesson he wants us to learn without having any suffering. If he could not, then his power is not infinite.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    13,992
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    i

    I appreciate the try to push God into your little box but surprisingly enough... He doesn't live within the constraints of your mind.

    This argument, omnipotent and omnibenevolent, not being able to coexist was settled a long time ago. Even educated atheists don't argue this point any longer.

    If you'd like to be more educated on this, since you want to argue from this standpoint, you should read Plantinga's Free Will Defense. But when you do... actually read it... don't just sit there and try to argue with it. Many have tried and and all have failed.
    But you have already accepted another little box. You have decided that god is defined by the bible and any other interpretation is wrong. So how is your box any different than anyone elses'?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    13,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    Believing in God just to cover all the bases is a disingenuous and cowardly way to practice religion.
    ~ Ezekial, 2/24/2017
    plus which one to believe in?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    13,992
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    i think it was me
    I have no doubt that if the potatoes are talking to anyone on here... it's you.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    44,838
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    i

    I appreciate the try to push God into your little box but surprisingly enough... He doesn't live within the constraints of your mind.

    This argument, omnipotent and omnibenevolent, not being able to coexist was settled a long time ago. Even educated atheists don't argue this point any longer.

    If you'd like to be more educated on this, since you want to argue from this standpoint, you should read Plantinga's Free Will Defense. But when you do... actually read it... don't just sit there and try to argue with it. Many have tried and and all have failed.
    I won't try to argue with it but i would like to become familiar with it and then read up on the criticism of it which im sure there will be plenty. I'm sure of this before i even get started on it. I'll correct myself in a subsequent post if I find that i am wrong.

    At any rate, thanks for pointing me in this direction. And i mean that sincerely.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

  11. #26
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    19,138
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    plus which one to believe in?
    Whichever one adheres best to your prejudices of course.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hammond, IN
    Posts
    2,734
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Mein Kampf was written in 1925... clearly his views had changed over time...

    "The religions are all alike, no matter what they call themselves. They have no future- certainly none for the Germans. Facism, if it likes, may come to terms with the Church. So shall I. Why not? That will not prevent me from tearing up Christianity root and branch, and annihilating it in Germany."

    Sounds awfully atheistic if you ask me...
    Your point is his atheism was a direct contributor to his beliefs, his beliefs clearly pre-date his atheism. So atheism wasn't the prime motivator or reasoning for any of his atrocities.

    But let's not let facts get in the way.
    His breast-feeding days predate even his faith... so I guess it must be that...

    My argument is that when you remove God from the picture... we get a lot more malevolent. As opposed to the the person suggesting that the quote meant that theism made men worse.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hammond, IN
    Posts
    2,734
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    I appreciate the try to push God into your little box but surprisingly enough... He doesn't live within the constraints of your mind.

    This argument, omnipotent and omnibenevolent, not being able to coexist was settled a long time ago. Even educated atheists don't argue this point any longer.

    If you'd like to be more educated on this, since you want to argue from this standpoint, you should read Plantinga's Free Will Defense. But when you do... actually read it... don't just sit there and try to argue with it. Many have tried and and all have failed.
    God has infinite power no? So God could, theoretically, create a world where humanity learns every single lesson he wants us to learn without having any suffering. If he could not, then his power is not infinite.
    And God cannot create square circles either... maybe some thing are just what they are?

    I love the argument that because we are bad... that's somehow Gods fault.

    Must be the millennials...

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hammond, IN
    Posts
    2,734
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    i

    I appreciate the try to push God into your little box but surprisingly enough... He doesn't live within the constraints of your mind.

    This argument, omnipotent and omnibenevolent, not being able to coexist was settled a long time ago. Even educated atheists don't argue this point any longer.

    If you'd like to be more educated on this, since you want to argue from this standpoint, you should read Plantinga's Free Will Defense. But when you do... actually read it... don't just sit there and try to argue with it. Many have tried and and all have failed.
    I won't try to argue with it but i would like to become familiar with it and then read up on the criticism of it which im sure there will be plenty. I'm sure of this before i even get started on it. I'll correct myself in a subsequent post if I find that i am wrong.

    At any rate, thanks for pointing me in this direction. And i mean that sincerely.
    You're welcome... I look forward t talking about it more. Everything that I have read has said that there isn't really an acceptable rebuttal that can be agreed upon but that many atheist respect Platingas argument.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    29,666
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    And God cannot create square circles either... maybe some thing are just what they are?

    I love the argument that because we are bad... that's somehow Gods fault.

    Must be the millennials...
    That wasn't my argument at all. Re-read my post and if you still have no idea what my point is let me know.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •