Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Great Quotes

Language is essential in the expression, as well as probably the development, of consciousness (though EO Wilson gives more attention to our hands than our brains).

I have to disagree about language, however, being simpler two thousand years ago. I have no working knowledge of either Hebrew or Ugaritic, but I do know some Koine Greek, and it is a rich and complex language.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Language. Not just literal but also representational. Awareness is built on recognition. I cannot conceive of what I am experiencing until i can construct and identify relationships and their meanings. To do this, we need a system of signs — language being the predominant system.

Been thinking about this lately—!about the limitations of language in particular.

On a side note, when Jesus spoke to his Apostles, when God spoke to Moses, when the Bible was written, knowledge was limited and language was much more simple. I wonder how different the story of creation would be if the Book of Genesis was written in 2018 by contemporary authors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    On the other hand, mute animals conceive of all their experiences every day of their lives without accesss to any type of language.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    On the other hand, mute animals conceive of all their experiences every day of their lives without accesss to any type of language.
    Which is why i said a system of signs — whatever form that might take.

Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Summer’s gone it’s too late to cut the grass

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213