Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 184

Thread: Great Quotes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,315

    Great Quotes

    To stay away from Christianity because part of the Bible is offensive assumes if there is a God he wouldn't have any views that upset you.~ Timothy Keller

    "Wait till Next Year"
    Just Took on a Whole New Meaning!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    40,177
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    To stay away from Christianity because part of the Bible is offensive assumes if there is a God he wouldn't have any views that upset you.~ Timothy Keller
    Sure.

    But I'm thinking those who are staying away from Christianity can find a lot better reasons than that.

    Still, this quote kind of proves that one of God's alleged traits -- omni benevolence -- is impossible, no?
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    12,523
    "a potato that says he's a tomato is still a potato."

    I don't remember who said it, but it was clearly one of the great thinkers of our time... OR someone who thinks potatoes can talk. And who knew... potatoes are boys. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Last edited by flips333; 02-23-2017 at 11:08 AM.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    27,103
    Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions -- Blaise Pascal
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions -- Blaise Pascal
    Ooooh a quote we can test!!!

    Let's look at the worst people in history...

    Hitler? Religion caused his genocide? Nope... social Darwinism!

    Somebody go next!!!

    "Wait till Next Year"
    Just Took on a Whole New Meaning!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,315
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    To stay away from Christianity because part of the Bible is offensive assumes if there is a God he wouldn't have any views that upset you.~ Timothy Keller
    Sure.

    But I'm thinking those who are staying away from Christianity can find a lot better reasons than that.

    Still, this quote kind of proves that one of God's alleged traits -- omni benevolence -- is impossible, no?
    Just because you can't see the benevolence in what He does doesn't mean it isn't benevolent. I would bet your kid(s) don't think you sending them to school is very benevolent, but sure enough you are doing it for their own good.

    "Wait till Next Year"
    Just Took on a Whole New Meaning!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    40,177
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Just because you can't see the benevolence in what He does doesn't mean it isn't benevolent. I would bet your kid(s) don't think you sending them to school is very benevolent, but sure enough you are doing it for their own good.
    Yep.

    Just because countless numbers of people suffer unspeakable horrors doesn't mean there isn't benevolence going on in there somewhere.

    Oh, but that's not OMNI benevolence, is it? See, OMNI benevolence is different from just plain old benevolence, ain't it?
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    24,599
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Ooooh a quote we can test!!!

    Let's look at the worst people in history...

    Hitler? Religion caused his genocide? Nope... social Darwinism!

    Somebody go next!!!
    Hitler stated he was a Christian in Mein Kampf...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,315
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Ooooh a quote we can test!!!

    Let's look at the worst people in history...

    Hitler? Religion caused his genocide? Nope... social Darwinism!

    Somebody go next!!!
    Hitler stated he was a Christian in Mein Kampf...
    i

    And totally against Christianity in many other places and in his practices...

    But let's not facts get in the way.

    "Wait till Next Year"
    Just Took on a Whole New Meaning!!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,315
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Just because you can't see the benevolence in what He does doesn't mean it isn't benevolent. I would bet your kid(s) don't think you sending them to school is very benevolent, but sure enough you are doing it for their own good.
    Yep.

    Just because countless numbers of people suffer unspeakable horrors doesn't mean there isn't benevolence going on in there somewhere.

    Oh, but that's not OMNI benevolence, is it? See, OMNI benevolence is different from just plain old benevolence, ain't it?
    So someone who is Omni-benevolent must stop others from hurting themselves and others?

    Is that your argument?

    "Wait till Next Year"
    Just Took on a Whole New Meaning!!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,315

    Great Quotes

    Mein Kampf was written in 1925... clearly his views had changed over time...

    "The religions are all alike, no matter what they call themselves. They have no future- certainly none for the Germans. Facism, if it likes, may come to terms with the Church. So shall I. Why not? That will not prevent me from tearing up Christianity root and branch, and annihilating it in Germany."

    Sounds awfully atheistic if you ask me...

    "Wait till Next Year"
    Just Took on a Whole New Meaning!!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    27,103
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Ooooh a quote we can test!!!

    Let's look at the worst people in history...

    Hitler? Religion caused his genocide? Nope... social Darwinism!

    Somebody go next!!!
    So its not true? For centuries if not a few thousand years, military leaders have not waged battle in the name of God and thanked God for their victories -- as if he was on their side?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,315

    Great Quotes

    Deaths in the name of religion, even over thousands of years, pale in comparison to the murders committed in one century alone by atheistic societies.

    Hitler- estimates are as high as 80 million deaths attributed to WW2... because of Social Darwinism... the natural conclusion for Evolution. No gods... unless you consider evolution to be a "god".

    Mao- 40 to 70 Million lives... no gods

    Stalin- 20 million lives under his regime... no gods.

    So the quote by Pascal clearly is wrong... but then again Pascal never saw the rise of Darwinism.

    Either way, Pascal never said he was against religion... only that men, who are inherently evil, will use anything , and especially religion, to gain control and power... that's not news.

    Btw, Pascal was a Christian.
    Last edited by The20thK; 02-24-2017 at 03:16 AM.

    "Wait till Next Year"
    Just Took on a Whole New Meaning!!!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,315

    Great Quotes

    Belief is a wise wager. Granted that faith cannot be proved, what harm will come to you if you gamble on its truth and it proves false? If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager, then, without hesitation, that He exists."

    ~ Also Blaise Pascal

    "Wait till Next Year"
    Just Took on a Whole New Meaning!!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    40,177
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Just because you can't see the benevolence in what He does doesn't mean it isn't benevolent. I would bet your kid(s) don't think you sending them to school is very benevolent, but sure enough you are doing it for their own good.
    Yep.

    Just because countless numbers of people suffer unspeakable horrors doesn't mean there isn't benevolence going on in there somewhere.

    Oh, but that's not OMNI benevolence, is it? See, OMNI benevolence is different from just plain old benevolence, ain't it?
    So someone who is Omni-benevolent must stop others from hurting themselves and others?

    Is that your argument?
    Kind of, although now you've alluded to omnipotence. So if he has the power to do everything but still lets bad things happen he can't be omni benevolent.

    If something bad has to happen in order for something good to happen, THAT isn't Omni benevolence
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •