Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 372 of 375 FirstFirst ... 272322362370371372373374 ... LastLast
Results 5,566 to 5,580 of 5624
    Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    I just read on Twitter per fox sports that Robo Umps would be used in triple AAA this year. I have mixed feelings,I've always been against it but after seeing people like Angel Hernandez etc. I'm thinking how much worse could it be?
    I remember when I played (mostly hockey) all I would want is consistency. Every Ref(ump) is different and it was up to the player to adapt, you got to know what you could and could not get away with.
    Even with the strike zone you would hope that whether the ump was a pitchers ump or a hitters ump you would just want consistency.
    Here's my question, the Robo would call balls and strikes but how would they call balks, catchers interference plays at the plate etc???
    Thoughts fellas?
    We will have to wait and see as it is probably on the table for negotiation. However based on info I gathered early last year, it seems there will still be an umpiring crew to handle everything on the field save for balls and strikes. Balks, check swings, hit by pitch, catcher interference ect. will remain the purview of the onfield / home plate umps.

Runner, if interested in taking a closer look, these two cited below are worth a read.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/n...-simple-think/

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2021/1...ague-robo-umps

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Tie him to a tree in a jungle with raw steaks hanging from him. Set up a camera and let nature run its course.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    agreed, or put him is a seal wet suit with steaks around his neck and make him swim around White Shark island.. Whatever it is, something besides prison is needed for this guy. Raping a 2yr old that causes her to bleed out is about the most disturbing thing i could imagine. Jail isn't enough

“Christ, he’s [Munson] tough. I hit him square on the arm with 100 mph fastball he just grinned. Later. . . I got a note from him, ‘I took your best f*cking shot, you cockroach (Signed) The White Gorilla.’ And he spelled ‘gorilla’ wrong.” - Goose Gossage on his new teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Runner, if interested in taking a closer look, these two cited below are worth a read.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/n...-simple-think/

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2021/1...ague-robo-umps
    Thnx Doc a lot of valuable info there.
    Here's one way we can eliminate Robo Ump's. Aren't umpires graded every game (I know the answer) and aren't they also rated by players and managers? Well here's a crazy idea,,,, how bout we hold them accountable?
    I'm amazed that no matter how many times we hear how bad Laz Diaz or Angel Hernandez is at umpiring they not only keep their jobs, they get to umpire playoff games. Obviously there is going to be human error because ,,well they're human but lets see these guys held accountable. You do a poor job, you continue to grade low you do not work, and certainly you don't get playoff games.

Love the idea of a pitch clock! Please!!! It's not just the pitchers it's the batters as well stepping out after every pitch, kicking dirt pulling on their gloves. In hockey when it's time for a face-off you had better be ready or the puck will be dropped and you won't be there.
    It would take some adjusting but I think I read only 6 current major leaguers have never been exposed to some sort of pitch clock?

Way too much down time in baseball,,,my fear though is lets say this works and we decrease time by 20 minutes? Does eventually MLB use that saved time for more commercials? I read one thing where someone wrote " with how much sports is now involved in on line gambling during live events, do they really want to shorten the time of the game? the longer the event the more the gambling?"

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    “Christ, he’s [Munson] tough. I hit him square on the arm with 100 mph fastball he just grinned. Later. . . I got a note from him, ‘I took your best f*cking shot, you cockroach (Signed) The White Gorilla.’ And he spelled ‘gorilla’ wrong.” - Goose Gossage on his new teammate.
    Ahhh. Love it.

Today's game, they would have a moment of silence. Have 4 Drs check him out and then have a good long talk, about his feelings to see if he wanted to play and if he needed a couple of days off to feel better.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Ahhh. Love it.

Today's game, they would have a moment of silence. Have 4 Drs check him out and then have a good long talk, about his feelings to see if he wanted to play and if he needed a couple of days off to feel better.
    Today they would send him to the IL for 10 days, misdiagnose it, causing him to miss an additional 4-6 weeks

Brady retired. Congrats to him on an incredible career. If you liked him or not you have to admire what he did and how he treated people throughout his career. GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Brady retired. Congrats to him on an incredible career. If you liked him or not you have to admire what he did and how he treated people throughout his career. GOAT
    Never got the hate for this guy. All he ever did was show up and win. Very little drama certainly didn’t seem like a jerk to me. He was what a sixth round pick?
    Being a GIANTS fan it makes me extremely proud that not only did we beat the GOAT 2X in the Super Bowl, Eli got the MVP both times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now, Brady didn't retire.

Ignorance is bliss

Now, Brady didn't retire.

Right. Everyone except Brady has said he retired. LOL
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

Never got the hate for this guy. All he ever did was show up and win. Very little drama certainly didn’t seem like a jerk to me. He was what a sixth round pick?
    Being a GIANTS fan it makes me extremely proud that not only did we beat the GOAT 2X in the Super Bowl, Eli got the MVP both times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can't get behind him as the GOAT. Too many rule changes that were made essentially for him.
    If a DL could take a step and a half and hit the QB without worrying about where they hit or how they landed, Brady would never have survived as long nor would he have been as productive.
    I still think guys like Montana, Bradshaw, Staubach... are up at the top. Those guys took absolute beat downs. Not to mention the DBs were allowed 7 yards of press and not 5 and they could be way more physical.
    He is certainly top 3 but I can't give him the GOAT

Ignorance is bliss

I can't get behind him as the GOAT. Too many rule changes that were made essentially for him.
    If a DL could take a step and a half and hit the QB without worrying about where they hit or how they landed, Brady would never have survived as long nor would he have been as productive.
    I still think guys like Montana, Bradshaw, Staubach... are up at the top. Those guys took absolute beat downs. Not to mention the DBs were allowed 7 yards of press and not 5 and they could be way more physical.
    He is certainly top 3 but I can't give him the GOAT
    You certainly can make that argument and I will add to your points this,,4th qtr time is winding down which QB would you like to have? I've seen Montana pull off miracles and Staubach and maybe his regular season stats aren't elite but we sure did see what Eli could do in the Super Bowl when you HAD to score in the final moments. One of the reasons I said I was so proud to beat him 2X in the big game.

And Bradshaw won 4 super correct? That doesn't happen by accident
    Last edited by runnermjr1296; 01-30-2022 at 01:06 PM.

You certainly can make that argument and I will add to your points this,,4th qtr time is winding down which QB would you like to have? I've seen Montana pull off miracles and Staubach and maybe his regular season stats aren't elite but we sure did see what Eli could do in the Super Bowl when you HAD to score in the final moments. One of the reasons I said I was so proud to beat him 2X in the big game.

And Bradshaw won 4 super correct? That doesn't happen by accident
    Yep. Bradshaw won 4.

Brady is incredible. In no way am I diminishing his accomplishments. I just truly believe that if he got hit the way Bradshaw and Staubach did? They aren't winning as many SBs and his career is done much, much earlier. Same with Brees.

The new guys are insane. Mahomes and Allen could quite possibly rewrite everything. If they continue to grow and have talent around them, they will be the top 2 for the next decade.
    Brady was also lucky enough to play in the AFC east. He was the best QB in that divine by far, for 15 years. It gave them post seasons every year.
    If the young QBs in the AFC east turn out to be good, it will be the best QB division in football. Allen, Wilson, Jones, Tua

Ignorance is bliss

Yep. Bradshaw won 4.

Brady is incredible. In no way am I diminishing his accomplishments. I just truly believe that if he got hit the way Bradshaw and Staubach did? They aren't winning as many SBs and his career is done much, much earlier. Same with Brees.

The new guys are insane. Mahomes and Allen could quite possibly rewrite everything. If they continue to grow and have talent around them, they will be the top 2 for the next decade.
    Brady was also lucky enough to play in the AFC east. He was the best QB in that divine by far, for 15 years. It gave them post seasons every year.
    If the young QBs in the AFC east turn out to be good, it will be the best QB division in football. Allen, Wilson, Jones, Tua
    This would be tough to remember but if memory serves me right hasn't the league gotten a LOT more lenient with intentional grounding? Seems to me if you're under pressure and you throw it within the zip code they don't flag you.