Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
    This is kind of what I thought might happen as well, but I think we need to make sure that the huge hole we currently have at the CB position is covered, and then have him restructure slightly and try him out at FS.

Also, by the way, has anyone else seen Kuharsky posting about how Robinson's analytics played a role in NE drafting Ryan, and what he thinks of the guy? At this point, I pretty much believe they're going to pursue him. They will likely have to pay some pretty big contract, though, because he's hardly a hidden gem given what the market looks like.
    I also like the idea of a big signing and early draft pick at cornerback and then going into camp letting guys like McCourty and Searcy compete for roster spots or be there in case somebody gets hurt.

For me with Logan Ryan it all depends on the price. I have seen a couple sites saying that he should be in that $6-8 million a year range because he is at his best working in the slot and has been inconsistent on the outside. There are also people that think he is a product of that scheme. But he is absolutely worth signing at that price. If he gets up into that +$10 million a year range then I don't know.

I read what Kuharsky had on there about Jon Robinson and using analytics to convince them to draft Logan Ryan. It has a comment about Bill Belichick not liking to use analytics and how it was rare for it to influence his decision.

I call bull**** on that one. When we hired Jon Robinson in one of his first interviews he talked about how the Patriots keep advanced metrics and game stats on every player going back to high school that they use not just for the draft but also when resigning and in free agency. That he was gonna do that with the Titans and start putting together data on all the players. So I guess the Patriots just keep that huge database for the hell of it.

Marcus Mariota

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    I also like the idea of a big signing and early draft pick at cornerback and then going into camp letting guys like McCourty and Searcy compete for roster spots or be there in case somebody gets hurt.

For me with Logan Ryan it all depends on the price. I have seen a couple sites saying that he should be in that $6-8 million a year range because he is at his best working in the slot and has been inconsistent on the outside. There are also people that think he is a product of that scheme. But he is absolutely worth signing at that price. If he gets up into that +$10 million a year range then I don't know.

I read what Kuharsky had on there about Jon Robinson and using analytics to convince them to draft Logan Ryan. It has a comment about Bill Belichick not liking to use analytics and how it was rare for it to influence his decision.

I call bull**** on that one. When we hired Jon Robinson in one of his first interviews he talked about how the Patriots keep advanced metrics and game stats on every player going back to high school that they use not just for the draft but also when resigning and in free agency. That he was gonna do that with the Titans and start putting together data on all the players. So I guess the Patriots just keep that huge database for the hell of it.
    I know a little while ago BB said something about not being a fan of those advanced metrics websites (such as PFF, I would assume), I think that's the quote Kuharsky was getting at. But I think he specifically cited the websites, and not the analytics.

Anyway, yes, I don't think we should get in a bidding war over Ryan. There's no real FA this year worthy of that, except maybe Berry if he doesn't head back to KC, but in reality, we need to add much more than one body. Unless they can really structure it very team-friendly, I wouldn't sign him at 10 mil per year. I'd rather get two players that combine for 13-14 M per year than Ryan at 10 M by himself.

Ideally they'd be able to front-load the deal for one if they decide to go that route. They have the cap to pay a couple guys heavy this year and the next. They've got to use the cap space now with Lewan and Mariota right around the corner.
    Last edited by scarylarry23; 01-25-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Heroes In Blue

Some things that I read from various places around the internet today.

State of Roster

A couple interesting stats that pretty confirm the eye test and what we all have known

The Titans were dead last in the league in passing yards allowed to opposing teams #1 receiver. They were also dead last in the league in passing yards allowed to the opposing teams #2 receiver. Furthermore they were 29th in the league in passing yards allowed to running backs.

So yeah that just jams the fact that our cornerbacks suck right into your eyeball. But that also shows that we need linebackers that can cover as well.

The Titans desperately need speed at receiver. According to next gen stats 3 of the 4 fastest offensive plays were by Mariota, Murray and Walker. Rishard Matthews didn't have a play where he got over 20 MPH. Chris Jones and Marquette King had plays that got over 20 MPH.... they are punters.

The Titans currently have Rishard Matthews, Tajae Sharpe, Kendall Wright and Harry Douglas. If you look at their 40 times from the combine the fastest was Harry Douglas who ran a 4.51 and he has slowed down considerably over the years. So the Titans don't have anybody with speed.

Rishard Matthews and Tajae Sharpe ranked 156th and 168th in the league out of 172 qualifying receivers for yards after catch.

We need somebody that can make big plays and stretch the defense. Something that has already been said by Jon Robinson and even Rishard Matthews.

Free Agency

The Rams are believed to be going into a full rebuild and thus will be letting many of their free agents walk as its not expected for them to resign Kenny Britt or Trumaine Johnson.

Eric Berry has said that his preference is to stay with the Chiefs and that negotiations have been going but he is unsure because of the salary cap situation.

According to some of the Patriots sites Logan Ryan is said to be seeking something in the neighborhood of 5-year $50 million and they are said to be offering 4-year $24-28 million. It is mentioned on several of the other sites including Patriots sites that they expect Tennessee to make a big push for Ryan.

The Titans are expected to be aggressive in free agency due to the roster situation and cap space. They have a handful of players that are expected to resign for smaller contracts. After that they will have most of the team from last year under contract. And still will likely have around $50 million in cap space after setting aside for draft picks. Speaking of which they are expected to have 9 picks after the comp picks are announced... So you get alot of cap space and not too many roster spots unless you want to replace alot of guys from last years team.

Draft

The Senior Bowl has been going on and there are rumors going around from the practices and workouts. But it is worth noting that the Titans drafted 4 players (Byard, Sharpe, Johnson and Tretola) that they spoke with and paid alot of attention to at the Senior Bowl. Jon Robinson said that Byard is a player that caught their eye at the Senior Bowl last year. That they look for players who work hard in the practices and pay attention to the coaching.

So far its been said that they have been paying attention and talking to Texas A&M DE (projects as 3-4 OLB) Daeshon Hall, Western Michigan OT Taylor Moton and Villanova DE Tanoh Kpassingo. All have said to look good so far.

Other players to point out from the Senior Bowl.

O.J Howard has impressed everybody as expected with both his receiving and blocking. They are saying that he is steadily moving up the boards and could come off as early as the first half of the 1st round.

Tre'Davious White put on a good showing with good technique and made several plays in practice.

There are sources saying that the Titans are said to be looking at wide receivers with the #18 pick and believe that they are interested in Mike Williams if he falls to that spot.

Jon Robinson talked highly about this group of tight ends and said that hopefully when the time comes they can get one.

Marcus Mariota

Quote Originally Posted by scarylarry23 View Post
    Ideally they'd be able to front-load the deal for one if they decide to go that route. They have the cap to pay a couple guys heavy this year and the next. They've got to use the cap space now with Lewan and Mariota right around the corner.
    They are planning to keep rolling over a good chunk of cap space because they know they got some big contracts coming up. He said it in one of the interviews talking about the cap space for free agency. That they will set aside for the draft and like to keep a fair amount as a buffer for resigning down the road or in case they want to sign a late cut or trades. But that they would likely still have a good chunk to use in free agency. The interview said like $30-40 million and he said yeah in that ballpark.

Marcus Mariota

I totally forgot you can roll over cap into the next season.

Heroes In Blue

If it's speed they want to add to our WR corps, I don't think Williams would make any sense. He's not any burner. I don't think he's as slow as Treadwell was coming in last year, but he doesn't really look to have the speed element to his game. If anything, Davis or even Ross would make more sense, but I think they can add a good prospect like that later in the 3rd round. I've been saying this for a while, but I don't think WR is as big of a need as most people. A Dupre, Ford or Zay Jones if we're looking at more outside WR prospects, or Samuel, Taywan Taylor as slot WRs would be good value to add in the 3rd.

If it's speed they want to add to our WR corps, I don't think Williams would make any sense. He's not any burner. I don't think he's as slow as Treadwell was coming in last year, but he doesn't really look to have the speed element to his game. If anything, Davis or even Ross would make more sense, but I think they can add a good prospect like that later in the 3rd round. I've been saying this for a while, but I don't think WR is as big of a need as most people. A Dupre, Ford or Zay Jones if we're looking at more outside WR prospects, or Samuel, Taywan Taylor as slot WRs would be good value to add in the 3rd.
    I agree.

I actually don't want Mike Williams. He might end up being a good player but when I look at him I don't see any separation and a guy that has to constantly use his body against smaller and less skilled defensive backs than he will see in the NFL. I seen too many of his highlight plays where that isn't a catch in the NFL.

I love Corey Davis. I don't know if he fits what they are looking for either but I feel like he is gonna be a great receiver. A 4-year starter at a MAC school who was never held to less than 4 catches in a game and had some of his best games against bigger competition like Michigan, Michigan State etc. PJ Fleck said he was the hardest working player that he has ever coached.

John Ross does fit what they are seemingly looking for at wide receiver with his speed and ability to get down the field. But I don't know about taking him in the 1st round.

I agree if they are looking for somebody that is primarily a speed guy that they can get that later in the draft. You mentioned Taywan Taylor and he has been lighting up the Senior Bowl this week and the Titans have shown interest in him as well.

Also they were saying that the Titans were paying real close attention to O.J Howard. If they get a tight end of his caliber then wide receiver might not be seen as much of a need in their eyes either. If they are really wanting to add a pass catcher then one of those 3 receivers or Howard will seemingly be there at 18.

Marcus Mariota

Also something that Jon Robinson said today that was interesting in my opinion. He said that free agency is to address need and the draft is for acquiring talent.

Marcus Mariota

Howard and Walker on the field together could be fun.

Heroes In Blue

Is this the Titans next cornerback? Texans free agent to-be A.J. Bouye told The Midday 180 his daughter who's about to be 2 makes it easier not to dwell on what's next. He has family in Tennessee.
    I know we're hanging on the local connections narrative again, but man it would be sweet if we manage to land him.

First round talent is first round talent. I say it every year I don't care who we pick there, but this year I pray that one of those 2 picks is a starting caliber DB. I also hope we sign a starting caliber DB because we don't have many of them if any right now. OJ Howard would be a nice addition, and I would be ok with a WR at 18.

There are 2 DBs from LSU in Adams and White. I would love to get both of those guys, plus they already have chemistry playing together. I think It would be interesting, and a definite upgrade. I am also still a huge fan of Peppers from Michigan.

If we could trade the #5 pick for something around #10, and some other picks we could still walk away with a combination of Peppers/Howard or Williams/Tabor or Humphrey/Ross or any other combination of a DB and pass catcher. Or possible double up on DBs and go Peppers/Tabor or Tabor/Humphrey

I suggest the trading back for multiple reason.
    1. The patriots were known for trading back.
    2. The players that we seem to want/need are mostly mid 1st round picks, not really top 5 picks. (my opinion)
    3. I love having extra picks that allows us to control the draft.

I know we're hanging on the local connections narrative again, but man it would be sweet if we manage to land him.
    Yeah this gave me a little unrealistic hope. I still don't see any scenario where they let him leave. They've got a few feasible avenues to maneuver an extension in. Logan Ryan seems like the most likely resolution at CB in Free Agency. I am going to hold out hope for one of Bouye or Trumaine Johnson though.

Heroes In Blue

Quote Originally Posted by cgreenhill View Post
    First round talent is first round talent. I say it every year I don't care who we pick there, but this year I pray that one of those 2 picks is a starting caliber DB. I also hope we sign a starting caliber DB because we don't have many of them if any right now. OJ Howard would be a nice addition, and I would be ok with a WR at 18.

There are 2 DBs from LSU in Adams and White. I would love to get both of those guys, plus they already have chemistry playing together. I think It would be interesting, and a definite upgrade. I am also still a huge fan of Peppers from Michigan.

If we could trade the #5 pick for something around #10, and some other picks we could still walk away with a combination of Peppers/Howard or Williams/Tabor or Humphrey/Ross or any other combination of a DB and pass catcher. Or possible double up on DBs and go Peppers/Tabor or Tabor/Humphrey
    I think #5 is as near as it could be to as good as gone. The Bills make a ton of sense with the Jets possible looking for a QB right behind us, so #10 seems reasonable. If they could do that and get a 2nd out of the deal that'd be fantastic. The strengths of the draft and our team needs line up really well. It would give us the opportunity to just go BPA even easier. There are a lot of combinations that could work at each spot. We just need to add a starting CB in Free Agency. That would open up our options even more so. I really like the way things are setting up for us.

Heroes In Blue

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast