Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Jon Robinson promoted to Exec. VP and talks about offseason goals

They announced today that they had promoted Jon Robinson to General Manager and Executive Vice President. Something that he absolutely deserves after doing an amazing job in both free agency and the draft last offseason.

Last year he went out and signed Ben Jones and Rishard Matthews to reasonable deals and both ended up being solid starters. Matthews had 65 receptions for 945 yards and 9 touchdowns and will be under contract for the next 2 years (through his age 28 year). Ben Jones was graded by PFF as one of the best free agent pickups on the offensive line and is under contract for the next 3 years (through his age 29 year).

Perhaps the biggest steal of the offseason was getting Demarco Murray from the Eagles just for a swap of 4th round picks. He ended up with 1,664 yards and 12 touchdowns rushing/receiving. That is just on the field production. He was also a leader in the locker room.

In the draft I heard them saying today that after you taken into consideration the trades with the Rams and Browns that they pretty much got Jack Conklin, Derrick Henry, Austin Johnson and the #5 pick in the 2017 draft for the #1 in 2016 and 2nd round pick in 2017.

That looks like a great deal considering that Jack Conklin had the highest rating at RT by PFF (they named him their All-Pro Right Tackle) and only allowed 2 sacks with 2 penalties. Derrick Henry looks like he is gonna be the future at running back. I actually see possible problems arising at the position with Henry and Murray (only 28) having to split carries for the next 3 years.

Even some of the other picks from the draft have potential. Kevin Byard looked like he could be a contributor at times. Mike Mularkey said that they think that LeShaun Sims has potential to be a starter down the road. Tajae Sharpe finished on a down note but still had 41 catches for 522 yards which is solid production for a 5th round pick who just turned 22.

So what do they do in 2017?

Jon Robinson said that the focus in 2016 was in the trenches and controlling the ball. They feel like they shored up those areas pretty well and will now focus on guys that can make plays down the field on both sides of the ball. No surprise there as we all expected wide receiver and cornerback to be addressed.

He said that one area where they felt they lacked on both sides of the ball was speed on the outside. That is something that they will look to address in the offseason. They want to add somebody at wide receiver that can get down the field. They want to add somebody in the secondary that can create turnovers. That a few big plays could have been the difference between the Titans going 9-7 or 12-4.

Marcus Mariota

Bob Bratkowski was fired, WR coach last year. He was also a Mularkey guy, so I think once again, this speaks volume of the sense of accountability in this regime. I think it also says something of the fact that they feel like WR corps is something they want to focus on during this offseason. To be fair, I'm not certain what was exactly the deal with Bratkowski, because it didn't really feel like this was a group that failed to live up to their expectations. If anything, it was the contrary, at least for Matthews it was, given how he stepped up into basically close to a #1 role.

Anyway, I'm intrigued. There are names in FA that could provide that speed they're talking about, biggest of which being DeSean Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
    Bob Bratkowski was fired, WR coach last year. He was also a Mularkey guy, so I think once again, this speaks volume of the sense of accountability in this regime. I think it also says something of the fact that they feel like WR corps is something they want to focus on during this offseason. To be fair, I'm not certain what was exactly the deal with Bratkowski, because it didn't really feel like this was a group that failed to live up to their expectations. If anything, it was the contrary, at least for Matthews it was, given how he stepped up into basically close to a #1 role.

Anyway, I'm intrigued. There are names in FA that could provide that speed they're talking about, biggest of which being DeSean Jackson.
    They fired the assistant receiver coaches as well. So they clearly feel like that was a position where they needed to get better both talent and coaching wise.

They did mention something about Tajae Sharpe having trouble during the season as teams started playing him differently. Maybe they felt like that was something that the coaches didn't do enough.

I think they might address wide receiver in the draft and expect them to address the secondary in free agency. They said that they are in a good spot cap wise to where they might make a big signing or two.

Marcus Mariota

It'll help that our OC was considered one of, if not the best, WR coach before coming to Nashville.

Heroes In Blue