Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 60 of 62 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 LastLast
Results 886 to 900 of 918
  1. #886
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,561
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    It's the day after the draft and it is oddly quiet in here. I hope this is a good thing
    Sorry VF0845 i've been away for a little while. Since the end of last season i've been repeating myself constantly, saying as soon as our offense becomes balanced and unpredictable our team is going to take off. We have to be able to control the trenches and run the ball effectively in order to limit the pressures on Sam, limit the pressure our o-line faces, and keep defences on their heals. We also have an elite defense to contend for a championship. An effective run game will limit the snaps our defense has to play, which was a huge reason why we started to tail off on the defensive side of the ball down the stretch last year. They were constantly on the field and playing too many snaps because our offense couldn't control the clock and move the chains.

    I loved our first 2 picks! Combine Cook and Elflein with Reiff and Remmers and our running game is going to be MUCH improved. As hard as we tried with Sirles, Long, Clemmings etc. at tackle last year we could not run the ball to save our lives. We got to a point in each game where we simply just stopped trying to run it. That sets your tackles up for disaster, especially ones who struggle to pass protect to begin with. As a defensive lineman, if you know the opposing offense is going to throw the ball every down with no threat of the run, you are going to pin your ears back and attack the QB every snap. As an offensive tackle this is very hard to deal with. You are showing the same set and same technique on every play, which is only a matter of time before you get beat by an NFL pass rusher.

    That is not going to be the case this year. With Cook running behind Reiff-Boone-Elflein-Berger/Sirles-Remmers we are going to be able to run the ball effectively. We purposely went after Reiff and Remmers because they are excellent in the run game. I also love the nastiness and attitude that Elflein brings as a run blocker, he is wise beyond his years at the center position. Boone has always been pretty solid in the run game and Berger has been our most consistent lineman for the past 2 years. I do believe we will still have some pass protection issues but this is not of huge concern. Our balance on offense and the constant threat of the run (fear of Cook) will keep defensive lineman honest and out of hunting mode on every snap. I see most of our protection issues surfacing on 3rd and long, which hopefully we won't be in too much. Balance is the key for our offense, but really its the key for our team as a whole. If we can get that and maintain that for an entire season, I really believe we could be this year's Atlanta Falcons! Just with a much better defense to close out a 28-3 lead in the superbowl lol.

    As for the remainder of the draft, i really have no idea about the rest of the players we took. I heard Jaleel Johnson was unblockable at the senior bowl and is stout against the run (don't watch his penn state tape). The rest we will just have to see how it works out. We didn't think anything of that little guy we drafted out of Maryland in the 5th round a few years back and now he's our best receiver, so you never know!

  2. #887
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    978
    What are your thoughts on our Defense coming up this year? It seemed like we fell away from the A-gap pressure as they season went on, which I thought was strange. Perhaps that is because Barr was not his normal self. I think with our new LB Gedeon, we might switch Kendricks to the Will spot. Gedeon can be our thumper in the middle and Kendricks will destroy anything to the outside.

    As far as the offense goes, as much as I will miss AP, I'm liking the new offense that is definitely tailored more towards the QBs we have. I think we are in for a fun season! (Hopefully without the injury bug present)
    Catch 22: run or pass, you're screwed either way!


  3. #888
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Steubenville, Ohio
    Posts
    14,565
    Quote Originally Posted by nasthemasta View Post
    Sorry VF0845 i've been away for a little while. Since the end of last season i've been repeating myself constantly, saying as soon as our offense becomes balanced and unpredictable our team is going to take off. We have to be able to control the trenches and run the ball effectively in order to limit the pressures on Sam, limit the pressure our o-line faces, and keep defences on their heals. We also have an elite defense to contend for a championship. An effective run game will limit the snaps our defense has to play, which was a huge reason why we started to tail off on the defensive side of the ball down the stretch last year. They were constantly on the field and playing too many snaps because our offense couldn't control the clock and move the chains.

    I loved our first 2 picks! Combine Cook and Elflein with Reiff and Remmers and our running game is going to be MUCH improved. As hard as we tried with Sirles, Long, Clemmings etc. at tackle last year we could not run the ball to save our lives. We got to a point in each game where we simply just stopped trying to run it. That sets your tackles up for disaster, especially ones who struggle to pass protect to begin with. As a defensive lineman, if you know the opposing offense is going to throw the ball every down with no threat of the run, you are going to pin your ears back and attack the QB every snap. As an offensive tackle this is very hard to deal with. You are showing the same set and same technique on every play, which is only a matter of time before you get beat by an NFL pass rusher.

    That is not going to be the case this year. With Cook running behind Reiff-Boone-Elflein-Berger/Sirles-Remmers we are going to be able to run the ball effectively. We purposely went after Reiff and Remmers because they are excellent in the run game. I also love the nastiness and attitude that Elflein brings as a run blocker, he is wise beyond his years at the center position. Boone has always been pretty solid in the run game and Berger has been our most consistent lineman for the past 2 years. I do believe we will still have some pass protection issues but this is not of huge concern. Our balance on offense and the constant threat of the run (fear of Cook) will keep defensive lineman honest and out of hunting mode on every snap. I see most of our protection issues surfacing on 3rd and long, which hopefully we won't be in too much. Balance is the key for our offense, but really its the key for our team as a whole. If we can get that and maintain that for an entire season, I really believe we could be this year's Atlanta Falcons! Just with a much better defense to close out a 28-3 lead in the superbowl lol.

    As for the remainder of the draft, i really have no idea about the rest of the players we took. I heard Jaleel Johnson was unblockable at the senior bowl and is stout against the run (don't watch his penn state tape). The rest we will just have to see how it works out. We didn't think anything of that little guy we drafted out of Maryland in the 5th round a few years back and now he's our best receiver, so you never know!
    Welcome back bro. I loved our first 2 picks as well. The run should be much better with the additions of Reiff, Remmers, and Elflein plus Cook and Murray. Pass protection will still have problems but at least it won't kill our offense like last season.

    The rest of the draft was interesting. Johnson is a solid pick. Gedeon has some thumper ability. Adams, Coley, and Hodges are talented but pretty raw. Odenegbo has some potential as well. I'm pretty satisfied with our draft.
    2018 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Mike Hughes CB UCF
    Round 2: Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State
    Round 5: Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan
    Round 5: Daniel Carlson K Auburn
    Round 6: Colby Gossett G Appalachian State
    Round 6: Ade Aruna DE Tulane
    Round 7: Devante Downs LB California


  4. #889
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    7,976
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Welcome back bro. I loved our first 2 picks as well. The run should be much better with the additions of Reiff, Remmers, and Elflein plus Cook and Murray. Pass protection will still have problems but at least it won't kill our offense like last season.

    The rest of the draft was interesting. Johnson is a solid pick. Gedeon has some thumper ability. Adams, Coley, and Hodges are talented but pretty raw. Odenegbo has some potential as well. I'm pretty satisfied with our draft.
    You didnt even mention our ultimate boom or bust steal, Elijah Lee.

    Teddy "Throwsevelt" Bridgewater

  5. #890
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    7,270
    Quote Originally Posted by niftynation11 View Post
    What are your thoughts on our Defense coming up this year? It seemed like we fell away from the A-gap pressure as they season went on, which I thought was strange. Perhaps that is because Barr was not his normal self. I think with our new LB Gedeon, we might switch Kendricks to the Will spot. Gedeon can be our thumper in the middle and Kendricks will destroy anything to the outside.

    As far as the offense goes, as much as I will miss AP, I'm liking the new offense that is definitely tailored more towards the QBs we have. I think we are in for a fun season! (Hopefully without the injury bug present)
    One thing to remember with our defense as the year went on last year......our offense couldn't stay on the field, putting a LOT more pressure (and time on the field) on the D. If indeed our offense can be average to decent, it only helps the D.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  6. #891
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,561
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    One thing to remember with our defense as the year went on last year......our offense couldn't stay on the field, putting a LOT more pressure (and time on the field) on the D. If indeed our offense can be average to decent, it only helps the D.
    Bingo

  7. #892
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    7,270
    Hey we finally signed a draft pick! Rodney Adams

    I'm sure they'll get this contract language issue resolved and have all picks signed soon....
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  8. #893
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    7,976
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Hey we finally signed a draft pick! Rodney Adams

    I'm sure they'll get this contract language issue resolved and have all picks signed soon....
    Also the DE from Penn State but some journalist think these two just went rogue from what the NFLPA wanted them to do.

  9. #894
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    7,270
    The later they get drafted, the less they have reason to care about that contract language....if there even IS such language in THEIR contracts. The language the union is worried about has to do with how guaranteed money is viewed late in a contract, right? Gotta stick with the team long enough to get there first.

    Actually, looking further neither HAVE guaranteed money TO offset, so....

    Northwestern btw re Odenigbo
    Last edited by SiteWolf; 05-26-2017 at 08:38 AM.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  10. #895
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    7,976
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    The later they get drafted, the less they have reason to care about that contract language....if there even IS such language in THEIR contracts. The language the union is worried about has to do with how guaranteed money is viewed late in a contract, right? Gotta stick with the team long enough to get there first.

    Actually, looking further neither HAVE guaranteed money TO offset, so....

    Northwestern btw re Odenigbo
    Good call on Northwestern, I forgot. Also these agents are probably more likely to just want to get deals done because they are smaller agency so they want their money.

    Teddy "Throwsevelt" Bridgewater

  11. #896
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    12,268
    Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Very hypothetical question here. I don't think there is anyway this happens but if Deshaun Watson was there when we picked with our 2nd Rd pick would you take him? Personally I think Watson is the best QB out of this bunch and for sure it the most ready to come in and start.
    Anyone still take this? lol. I guess its a double edged sword because his injury would have been just our luck.


    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Charlie Campbell at Walterfootball has a fantastic mock for the Vikings:

    Dan Feeney RG
    Kareem Hunt RB
    Pat Elflein C
    That would have been nice as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    I am really quite shocked that the QB's fell like they did. I think Watson going to the Texans is the best fit. He can come in and have success right away imo. The Bears going for Mitch at 2 is risky, just dont like him that high. Mahomes going to KC isnt too bad either. He can sit and learn which is what he needs.

    Did not like Ross to Cincy. I like Ross but not sure he fits with Dalton and I feel they reached with 2 other WR's going already.

    A lot of good players left for the Vikes. I really want us to stay put to be honest but if we could get a Forrest Lamp and not give up too much I would love it. If we stay put it'll be interesting to see what we do.
    I really liked Watson. I was trying to find my final QB rankings which I think I had Watson listed as #1.

    Quote Originally Posted by El Jorge 69 View Post
    Also, do you guys think it is worth trading up for Dalvin Cook!
    Yes Jorge, yes I do!

    Quote Originally Posted by D-Sharp View Post
    No! Kareem Hunt my man, Kareem Hunt!!!! or samaje perine......
    D-Sharp was on point here. Hunt would have been fantastic as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMark247 View Post
    I have a feeling we might pick Cook
    Right on!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfpac_101 View Post
    Nothing worth taking there. They just got a 1st round talent and a potential star at running back at 41. And all they gave up was an extra 4th? Absolute steal.
    Sure does appear that way!

    Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Ok, lets go Desmond King, Jaleel Johnson and George Kittle. Maybe a little biased on my behalf lol. BUT in all seriousness they would all fit.

    King can play safety and is great in coverage. He is a ball hawk and would allow Smith to be played where ever we wanted.

    Johnson is a great talent at DT. Early on some thought he could go 1st Round. Disappears at times but played big in big games.

    Kittle is a stud at TE. Has great speed, I believe he ran 4.46 at the IA pro day. Also a great blocked. 6'4" 250 lbs..
    We got Johnson but I really felt Kittle and King would have both been great additions as well. King has played very well for the Chargers.

  12. #897
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    12,268
    Nothing new on Teddy so I figured I would check out the Draft forum lol

  13. #898
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Steubenville, Ohio
    Posts
    14,565
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I have a new favorite RB. Kareem Hunt from Toledo is amazing. This dude breaks so many tackles and has great balance. Has the look of a 3 down back too. His film is pretty exciting. Looked really good in the Senior Bowl as well.
    I think I can say I nailed this one lol
    2018 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Mike Hughes CB UCF
    Round 2: Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State
    Round 5: Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan
    Round 5: Daniel Carlson K Auburn
    Round 6: Colby Gossett G Appalachian State
    Round 6: Ade Aruna DE Tulane
    Round 7: Devante Downs LB California


  14. #899
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    26,139
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I think I can say I nailed this one lol
    He's been a beast. 6 td in his first 3 games, none since but still putting up #s
    It sucks Cook got injured. I'd love to see where he'd be at by now, but McKinnon has filled in wonderfully and Murray had that one solid game. I like McKinnon, glad to see him thriving in our offense since Cook got hurt.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  15. #900
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    7,976
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    He's been a beast. 6 td in his first 3 games, none since but still putting up #s
    It sucks Cook got injured. I'd love to see where he'd be at by now, but McKinnon has filled in wonderfully and Murray had that one solid game. I like McKinnon, glad to see him thriving in our offense since Cook got hurt.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Weird how when you use guys correctly how they flourish. If only we had a QB that was used incorrectly that could flourish under this same new dynamic offense

    Teddy "Throwsevelt" Bridgewater

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •