Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    I am not sure how the rules go. If we trade Heyward after the season, does the team receiving him receive his bird rights and thus ability to pay him the max money?

Basically, what I am asking is, if Heyward decides he wants to go to the Celtics, does he have the option to try to force a trade so that he still gets paid the max money and the Jazz receive compensation in return?

Also, I read somewhere that we may try to make trades with guys like Burks and Favors before the time that Heyward can opt out of deal so we have the ability to improve the team to help convince him to stay. Does anyone know how that all works?

You cannot sign and trade a player with the bird rights pay raise. They also cannot qualify for the all nba team raise if they make that.

As far as next year goes so far, if we sign hayward for around 40 million a year (which is probably going to be close to his salary). Than just by signing him alone will put us over the cap, but just barely. If we trade Burks and Favors off we will have close to 20 million to sign Diaw (probably around 5 million a year) and Ingles (who will probably ask for around 10 million a year).

That gives us an extra 5 million to sign Hill unless the Millers let us go over the salary cap for a few years.

After watching these playoffs (and some of the games during the season), we cannot overpay Hill. He is way overvalued. He is an aging PG that struggles with injuries and is not as clutch as he is given credit for.

Chris Paul has eaten Hill alive this whole series. Watching game 5 and it looked more like Hill was trying to help the Clippers win than help the Jazz. Fouls Reddick on 3 point shot, then next position fouls Paul with 21 seconds on the shot clock sending him to the line. On the offensive end, they put the ball in Ingle's hands or Joe Johnson's hands. Ingles has also been guarding Paul more as well.

To start the season, Hill was helpful to stabilize the team. And he can still hit open 3s and is still a valuable rotation player. But he is not the impact player we thought he was mid-season. He is a solid supporting player who can still have some big games when he is healthy and rested, but Ingles have proven himself to be more of an impact player to me this series. When it comes to the off-season, I hope we retain both, but I will be upset if we keep Hill but can't keep Ingles.

You know, if Deron Williams is cheap, I would love to have him return. I think he could finish his career here nicely. He still has a house in Utah for the summer. His defense is good and he's a good passer.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefistus View Post
    You know, if Deron Williams is cheap, I would love to have him return. I think he could finish his career here nicely. He still has a house in Utah for the summer. His defense is good and he's a good passer.
    I would be good with DWill on the team next year. A combination of DWill, Exum, and Neto is a solid PG rotation and should be cost effective. Ingles can also run the point if needed in a pinch or for a specific purpose.

Given the system we run that does not require a PG to do everything, I don't think we should overpay for one. Milos Teodosic is someone who I hear is going to come to NBA next year. He is 30. He would be a great fit for us I think. Again, would not want to overpay, but with how deep the PG position is in this year's draft and given some of these other options, you think that will hopefully drive down the price a bit.

I'm really hoping we look at Michael Fusek (played on the French team this year). He's 7'2", entering the draft this year, and has a 7'8" wingspan. But he's light, he would need to gain more weight. He's 20 pounds lighter than Gobert was when Gobert was 22.

There's also a 7'5" big man that no one is looking at, but he's VERY similar to Gobert. I just want us to be able to have a backup center that we can actually play, and have Favors play the PF for once in his life.

We have 2 secound rounders this year, so we get a couple cracks at it.

i don't think anybody, fans and brass included, wants to see favors next to gobert, even with the stifle tower's developments on offense. we can probably maximize favors's value by trading him.
    HAWKS '13 ,'1 4, & '15 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

"of course tom 'jan' brady would whine about a rule change."
    -chipurmunki

Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    i don't think anybody, fans and brass included, wants to see favors next to gobert, even with the stifle tower's developments on offense. we can probably maximize favors's value by trading him.
    Agreed. Favors just doesn't have the mobility to guard the smaller PFs. He is strong and can hold his own against slower centers. Offensively he is good with the ball in the post, but not good away from the basket. By all accounts, he is best suited to be a center.

The hardest thing is to find a trade partner where we get descent value for him. If we do not get descent value, he is a very solid backup center, especially once he gets healthy.

Celtics really struggle with interrior defense and with defensive rebounding, I think Favors would be a good fit there, and i love Avery Bradley and they have a top pick to select one of the drafts top PGs, so you would think Bradley could be available. That is the trade I would like to see.

Suns showed an interest in him and they are loaded with young PF talent. If they would be willing to move one of them for Favors, I would be good with that trade as well.

Favors is better than all their Forwards and Centers that they already have in Phoenix, that's why they are interested in him. Bender is a project down there and may or may not pan out. He didn't have a very good season this year, and that may be good for us. I say if we're going to make a trade, trade Favors for Bender.

I also think this would be a trade that would benefit both teams. They already have a stacked deck with three ball shooting, and as a result Bender doesn't get to the perimeter much. And we don't need multiple people in the paint as Rudy is more that sufficient at clogging up down low. So having a PF that can play perimeter is what we need.

I have to recant my previous statement that Favors and Gobert can't coexist on offense. We have an 11 game win streak with them, and working on another 11 game win streak, and in the middle of the greatest single season turn around in history. I say don't muck up a good thing.
    HAWKS '13 ,'1 4, & '15 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

"of course tom 'jan' brady would whine about a rule change."
    -chipurmunki

When we lost to Atalanta on January 22 I was convinced we were a lottery team and that we should blow up the roster this summer. Now I just don't know. If we finish the season with solid play it becomes very difficult to make drastic roster changes. The other possibility I see is a tough 1st round playoff opponent like GS or Houston showing us how far from true contention we are. Then it may be hard not to make some changes.

We have 3 solid starters in Gobert, Mitchell, and Ingles, but the other spots are up for grabs. I'm convinced we will resign Exum and let him and Rubio battle for our future PG next season. That leaves us with the 4 spot. I'm sure we will kick the tires on a few restricted free agents like Gordon or Parker but ultimately their current teams will likely match our offer, plus the only way to steal them away is to take the risk of offering them a max deal. If those unlikely options don't work we will be left with Favors as our best option. Unless you prefer Julius Randle over Favors, but I don't.

It appears we only have 10m of cap space in the summer anyway, before signing Exum/Favors (if we do), so we'd only be armed with that or the mid level anyway, so it wouldn't surprise me if we signed them both back.

2019 looks like we could have 50m or so, that may be the year to attempt to make a splash.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobjarree View Post
    It appears we only have 10m of cap space in the summer anyway, before signing Exum/Favors (if we do), so we'd only be armed with that or the mid level anyway, so it wouldn't surprise me if we signed them both back.

2019 looks like we could have 50m or so, that may be the year to attempt to make a splash.
    I agree 100%. As much as we would like to go for it this summer 2019 will have many more opportunities. For the 2019/20 season we will only have Gobert, Mitchell, Ingles, Crowder, O'Neale, and an option on Bradley. That's only 50.2 million with a cap projected to be 109 and the luxury tax line at 132. That gives us a minimum of 58.8 and a max of 81.8 to use. That would be exciting except that as of right now there are 17 of 30 other teams with similar or better cap space. However, out of the teams with cap space there are few good teams on the list. Most of those teams are bottom dwellers that don't have talent like Gobert and Mitchell to pair with. The reason I'm giving you this breakdown is to show how signing Exum or Favors to reasonable deals will not hurt us long term. It may occupy our cap space for this summer, but in 2019/20 we will be fine. With Exum's injury history and inexperience I see us signing him for 10 -12 per year. Worth the risk and an amazing contract if he plays well. I don't see another team offering more. Next season should become a battle between Rubio and Exum for our future PG spot. Favors could easily get an offer by a desperate team for 20 per year. This is where I have to let him go. I'm hoping we can keep him for closer to 15, but that may be unrealistic. Favors is a good player but I attribute his recent success with Rudy to a brilliant coach. If Quinn can make this awkward Rubio/Favors/Gobert lineup work then I'm sure he could do even better with a stretch 4. Dennis has been very good about not overpaying players. I trust he won't break the bank for Favors or Exum.

Early in the season I wasn't sure if we had a long term point guard on this roster. My opinion has changed, and I think either Exum, Rubio, or both is the answer. I would be shocked if we didn't resign Exum at this point. At times Exum looks awesome with his speed and length. I guess having Rubio for one more year is perfect. Exum is only 22 and still needs another year to develop before we could be comfortable with him running the team. My prediction is that Exum resigns with us, but we have to pay him more than many fans are comfortable with at first. Once the game slows down and he can play fast under control we should have a solid starting PG for the future. Rubio is our insurance policy.

be sweet if we got him on a steph curry injury discount type contract. I love Ex, I really hope he pans out in Utah.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast