Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    I listen to a number of podcasts and Burks is the darling of the NBA after the last game. This season he has shown he can stay healthy and that he still has his athleticism. Wings are at a premium right now. This will also be Burk's last year of his contract, so he is an expiring deal. Basically, Burks contract is now somewhat valuable.

We also have two contracts with players that that do not have guaranteed deals. Those are really valuable for teams looking to salary dump.

In the past, the Jazz have shown a desire to improve via a trade vs free agency. A trade, you can go after anyone you want in the NBA, free agency, you fight with every team on whatever players happen to be available.

We also have our 1st round pick this year.

Armed with those 4 assets, is there anyone you would want to trade for?

Also, as a side note, with Igor taking over the head coaching position of the Pheonix Suns, I think there is a good chance they could sign Favors. They do not have a legit center, they have lots of cap space, and Favors would bring that veteran presence and knowledge of the system. I really like Favors, but I am sure Igor likes him too and knows that he is better as a modern NBA center. They have the cap space to pay him.

Quote Originally Posted by Raupie View Post
    Also, as a side note, with Igor taking over the head coaching position of the Pheonix Suns, I think there is a good chance they could sign Favors. They do not have a legit center, they have lots of cap space, and Favors would bring that veteran presence and knowledge of the system. I really like Favors, but I am sure Igor likes him too and knows that he is better as a modern NBA center. They have the cap space to pay him.
    Great point. That makes a lot of sense for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raupie View Post
    I listen to a number of podcasts and Burks is the darling of the NBA after the last game. This season he has shown he can stay healthy and that he still has his athleticism. Wings are at a premium right now. This will also be Burk's last year of his contract, so he is an expiring deal. Basically, Burks contract is now somewhat valuable.

We also have two contracts with players that that do not have guaranteed deals. Those are really valuable for teams looking to salary dump.

In the past, the Jazz have shown a desire to improve via a trade vs free agency. A trade, you can go after anyone you want in the NBA, free agency, you fight with every team on whatever players happen to be available.

We also have our 1st round pick this year.

Armed with those 4 assets, is there anyone you would want to trade for?

Harrison Barnes is a real option. He is a great fit for us. He is still young, can play the 3 or 4, can space the floor, and brings some scoring and athleticism. He is owed 24 mil next year and has a 25 mil player option the year after. That may seam like a lot but it's not bad if they take Burks and a few other team option contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Harrison Barnes is a real option. He is a great fit for us. He is still young, can play the 3 or 4, can space the floor, and brings some scoring and athleticism. He is owed 24 mil next year and has a 25 mil player option the year after. That may seam like a lot but it's not bad if they take Burks and a few other team option contracts.
    Mavs fans and Mavs team has stated this year that he's not on the table for trades. They're trying to get rid of Mathews, which no one wants because it's WAAAY to high for a player with an Achilles tear.

Also, if the Suns get the number 1 pick than they will get the best player in the draft in Ayton, who is a VERY talented Center. So I'm not sure they would pick up Favors.
    Last edited by Firefistus; 05-07-2018 at 05:24 PM.

I have no interest in harrison barnes. he is simply on a bad team putting up mediocre stats. He is not the piece that we should trade for to completely end our cap space for a couple of years. With Mitchell we have a 2 year window where we need to maximize our cap space before we have to give him the max.

Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    I have no interest in harrison barnes. he is simply on a bad team putting up mediocre stats. He is not the piece that we should trade for to completely end our cap space for a couple of years. With Mitchell we have a 2 year window where we need to maximize our cap space before we have to give him the max.
    I agree Barnes is a good not great idea, but I don't see a great idea out there for us this summer. Overpaying Aaron Gordon, Julius Randle, or especially Jabari is far from a sure thing. We don't want to overpay for mid level talent but that is the only way these restricted free agents won't be matched. Resigning Favors is a good idea if your goal is an early playoff exit. Please someone make a suggestion that makes sense.

I just don't see anyone I like this off-season. I would say stay pat, and clear room for an offer on Kawhii Leonard next year. We have a similar system, he already knows Dennis Lindsay, and you KNOW Kawhii would prefer small market over big market teams.

I personally believe that the media is over-blowing Kawhii's issue with San Antonio, but if he's healthy for next year and looking to leave I think we're just the place for him, and Dennis Lindsay is the only person who will be able to get him out of San Antonio.

I think the Jazz are kind of stuck right now. the only free agent who moves the needle at all for the Jazz is Paul George and I would put his chances of coming at less then 1% based on everything I have seen about him. So if we can't do free agency then that leaves trades, but we don't really have awesome trade assets other then expiring contracts and obvious Gobert and Mitchell which we aren't trading. So the Jazz are going to have to get lucky and rob someone in a trade for someone or sign a unlikely free agent if we ever want to really improve.

Personally I don't even want Paul George. He doesn't have the right attitude for this team. He's too much of a "me" guy and not enough of a "we" person. I saw today that the front office is considering giving favors a Large 2 year deal with a team option for next off-season. That way if someone comes up that we have a chance for we can release favors and sign him for less, or have him look for another big paycheck somewhere else.

I LOVE the idea of maxing him out this year for 2 years, and if we can't pick up someone in 2019 we can just release him instead, or re-negotiate our deal with him. That way he still gets his money and we can get him a little cheaper when we need the cap room.

maybe your right on PG, but we could really use another wing option and like said we really don't have any other way to improve. I don't want the 2nd round of the playoffs to be good enough each year because honestly even with PG or even Kahwi we still aren't on the warriors level.

I wonder if Favors would do that deal. I think that is the kind of thing we need to because I think we have to do something next offseason if we can't do something this one. and locking ourselves into Favors and Gobert ins't a title winning move.

I like a short term deal with Favors idea only if there is a team option for year 2. Favors is a good player, but we are talking about going from a good young team to a contender. It is a big jump from where we are now and also the hardest jump to make in the NBA. It will take several years of development from Rudy and Mitchell plus we will need to add one more solid player. We have 2 great young players and some good role players but we need one more star to compete with the Warriors, Rockets, and future Celtics. Looking over the list I don't think that player exists in free agency this year. 2019 may be a better year to make a splash for several reasons: we will have more cap space, another year of player development is needed, the Warriors, Rockets, and Lebron will be another year older. Taking a risk on Aaron Gordon or Jabari and eating up out cap space long term is unnecessary.

pg doesn't does have the right attitude and his defense is meh.

what do y'all want us to do with thabo?
    HAWKS '13 ,'1 4, & '15 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

"of course tom 'jan' brady would whine about a rule change."
    -chipurmunki

Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    pg doesn't does have the right attitude and his defense is meh.

what do y'all want us to do with thabo?
    Thabo is a keeper unless we make an unlikely splash in free agency. He shot 38% from 3 and plays good defense. At times he even played the 4. That gives us another option.

I found this awesome Jazz cap calculator. See link.

http://saltcityhoops.com/2018capcalculator/

I played around with a bunch of scenarios. A few important things stuck out to me:

- Unloading Burks contract gives us the flexibility we need. If we are unable to trade him this could be a quiet offseason.
    - Royce O'Neale and Jae Crowder have amazing contracts.
    - These non guaranteed contracts are perfect options for several cap strapped teams this offseason. We should have a few great opportunities to trade.
    -Overpaying Favors and Exum could be a huge mistake long term. We should let them walk if they want too much.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast