Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Ersan Ilyasova signs 3/$21M with Bucks third year nonguaranteed

https://fansided.com/2018/07/01/nba-...va-sign-bucks/

I was gonna bump his old thread. But that's buried. Also forum search had a error. I just made a new thread. Well this deal pretty much ate up most of our MLE.

This is such a bucks move. Use up basically the vast majority of the money we have available on a guy who doesnít really fill a hole on the roster. I like ersan. He canít help this team, but not near as much as guys who could fill a hole. And 3/$21 is too many years and too much money, especially in a potentially tight money year and especially when itís within the first couple hours of free agency.

I have to imagine thereís more to the plan here, and this has to signal the end of jabari. But as of right now, this is looking pretty bad.

Its a bit much since he will come off the bench. Also Giannis will get the majority of minutes at PF. So Ersan wont get that many minutes unless him or Giannis plays some center? Ersan will be another 3 ball shooter and rebounder which we lack. But still feeling like the 2 year deal since third year is unguaranteed feels like just another Amigo added to the pile.

As much as any deal reported in the early hours of Sunday morning, Ilyasova to the Bucks came as a surprise. Perhaps that should not have been the case, given his history with the organization. This is Ilyasova's third tour of duty in Milwaukee, the most recent one coming under a different front office and coaching staff. Still, there's a level of familiarity there on both sides.

During the three years since the Bucks traded him to Detroit, Ilyasova has done a strong job of retaining his value into his early 30s. His ability to stretch the floor remains a constant, and Ilyasova battles defensively. He's one of the NBA's most prolific charge-takers, tying for second in the league by drawing 26 of them last season, according to NBAMiner.com research.

Back in Milwaukee, Ilyasova figures to fill the role Mirza Teletovic was expected to play before a recurrence of blood clots sidelined him and ultimately led to his release. One interesting development last season was Ilyasova playing center as part of the Philadelphia 76ers' small lineups in Joel Embiid's absence, and Ilyasova-Giannis Antetokounmpo frontcourts could be potent offensively.

The big concern with Ilyasova is whether he'll fall off at some point in his mid-30s. According to reporting by ESPN's Zach Lowe, the final season of Ilyasova's contract is non-guaranteed, providing the Bucks cover.

Now the question becomes what happens with Milwaukee restricted free agent Jabari Parker. Ilyasova could be Parker's replacement, and dipping into the non-taxpayer version of the midlevel exception to sign him hard caps the Bucks at about $130 million in salary. In practice, Milwaukee is unlikely to pay the tax, meaning a de facto hard cap of $123.7 million. Adding Ilyasova puts the Bucks at about $110 million for 13 players, meaning a big offer for Parker is no longer forthcoming.

It's possible Parker could still return if he takes his $4.3 million qualifying offer and targets unrestricted free agency a year from now. But it's increasingly clear Parker isn't part of Milwaukee's long-term plans.
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...rprising-moves

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    This is such a bucks move. Use up basically the vast majority of the money we have available on a guy who doesnít really fill a hole on the roster. I like ersan. He canít help this team, but not near as much as guys who could fill a hole. And 3/$21 is too many years and too much money, especially in a potentially tight money year and especially when itís within the first couple hours of free agency.

I have to imagine thereís more to the plan here, and this has to signal the end of jabari. But as of right now, this is looking pretty bad.
    Pretty much agree. I wouldn't mind the deal if we had a hole there. Its relatively cheap production. But if this is the move we make so we don't need to bring back Parker I don't get it. No one is going to convince me Ersan makes the Bucks a better team than Parker would.

That being said, this move plus pushing the Jennings deadline back to me signals the Bucks are looking to trade Parker and are willing to take on some cap in return (would use Jennings as a filler). I still think you're looking at a tiny market for that kind of move. Only thing I could think we might get would be an overpriced aging big from a bad team they don't want.

I get a Parker S&T going with Bulls or Kings. Heck even the Nets.

Another bad contract.

The 3rd year non guarantee saves it for me. We are unlikely to have a bunch of cap next year anyhow, but expiring contracts can be of value. We legit could have 3 very attractive expirings next offseason that we can either cash in for assets or let expire and maybe free up a max slot.

I love the signing. Money is Arite, especially with the 3rd year ungarenteed like crew said. Always does the little things to help the team win. Shoots 3s, rebounds, takes charges, smart, can pass, knows the team and city. I like it.

Where Becoming a Legend Happens.
    @ChrisWagner87

IMO, what the Bucks need from a man coming from bench to give breaths to Giannis, is a big that his game resembles the one of Giannis (as much as it can be). Thomas Robinson (or Mo Bamba) comes in mind... I don't think Giannis would agree on the Ilyasova deal if he was asked.

One has to understand that Giannis has worked hard to create a "brotherhood team" that is based on close relations between players, Horst has to take that in mind... Giannis doesn't like Ilyasova or Bledsoe being loaded on him (but he'll never say it).

IMO, some of Horst's decisions are leading Giannis to consider leaving the Bucks although its not what he intents. Can't people see that the Magic are preparing a team as to land Giannis at the end?

Ersan IlyasovaĎs new deal with the Bucks will pay him an even $7MM over three seasons, with a yet-to-be determined guarantee amount and date on year three.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/07/...-ilyasova.html

Question:

"Now that we have Wood who seems perfect as to rotate with Giannis and so many bigs to play center, what we need Ilyasova for?"

Probably depth. 82 games is a long season. We needed rebounding and three point shooting. Reason we probably raced out and signed him first minute of free agency. Bud wants to surround Giannis with plenty of shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by MILLERHIGHLIFE View Post
    Probably depth. 82 games is a long season. We needed rebounding and three point shooting. Reason we probably raced out and signed him first minute of free agency. Bud wants to surround Giannis with plenty of shooters.
    Wood seems a pretty good shooter... no worst than Ilyasova anyway... but Ilyasova is 2/14M and we do need a forward to play SF... We only have Middleton and Snell now, which is "thin roster depth" at SF, while at PF, other than Giannis or Wood, (much cheaper than Ilyasova) Zeller can play it too if Ilyasova's roster spot was open...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast