Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Lance Stephenson waived by Pelicans

http://www.nba.com/pelicans/pelicans...nce-stephenson

I suppose this is because of his groin injury that reportedly requires surgery. Nothing in this report about that being why, but it seems like a raw deal to me. Pelicans shouldn't be cutting players, especially when a guy gets injured who had been contributing. Heck he almost won the game for them the other night before young talent Devin Booker went off.

Is this dude done? I don't know how bad the injury is, but surgery sounds he'll be gone for a while.

If even Pelicans give up on him, I wonder who takes a chance now, but dude was averaging 9 points a game, so there's some hope.

6/15/19...when my wish became a reality.

I wouldn't be surprised if some team picks him up off of waivers since his contract is cheap.

Come home to Brooklyn, Lance Stephenson!
    World Championships

New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets

New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III

Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)

New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

I kind of think him rehabbing away from a team structure may be the worst thing for him. We may not see him again.

Some more info: http://www.nba.com/article/2016/11/0...nce-stephenson

Apparently, the Pelicans did not want to release him, and have signed former Suns player Archie Goodwin. Lance can train with the team's facility, so it looks like they parted amicably and a return is not out of question as the rehab will take a couple of months at best.

6/15/19...when my wish became a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by kobe4thewinbang View Post
    Some more info: http://www.nba.com/article/2016/11/0...nce-stephenson

Apparently, the Pelicans did not want to release him, and have signed former Suns player Archie Goodwin. Lance can train with the team's facility, so it looks like they parted amicably and a return is not out of question as the rehab will take a couple of months at best.
    While I appreciate what they're doing, I don't think they can do that.

They are continuing to pay him on a nonguaranteed contract even though they cut him, obligating him at least morally to not sign with another team. They essentially created a 16th roster spot by paying him under the table, in violation of the CBA.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    It sounds like they just need a rotation player in the mix while he's gone and will bring him back when healthy. He was playing fairly well for them.

I think he should play for Vogel. I'm surprised that the Cavs or even the Knicks haven't tried to pick him he. He's had a rough patch, but he's got game and talent.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    While I appreciate what they're doing, I don't think they can do that.

They are continuing to pay him on a nonguaranteed contract even though they cut him, obligating him at least morally to not sign with another team. They essentially created a 16th roster spot by paying him under the table, in violation of the CBA.

I don't think they can cut an injured player unless they keep paying him until he is healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby23 View Post
    I don't think they can cut an injured player unless they keep paying him until he is healthy.
    You are correct, I found the answer here
    Also, if a player is waived prior to January 10 but is injured as a direct result of playing basketball with his team, then his salary is guaranteed until he is ready to play again or until the end of that season, whichever comes first.

I feel bad for the guy. Used to hate him for his silly antics and temper but I watched a few Pelicans games and he hustles for every play. I think a few teams could use a guy like him.