Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    That's really what it all boils down to. Atheists believe science applies to all that is real. Theists believe that too, with one notable exception.
    Well of course, if science were to apply to that noticeable exception, well than that notable exception wouldn't be so notable, now would it.

I get what ur saying. What ur saying just carries zero weight.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

I have yet to see a logical argument to justify believing in any of the world.

If someone wants to believe in a God concept since there is alot we don't know then great. Nothing wrong with that. However when people pretend to know details about God and how God wants us to love our lives then I simply can't take you seriously anymore.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by macc View Post
    I have yet to see a logical argument to justify believing in any of the world.

If someone wants to believe in a God concept since there is alot we don't know then great. Nothing wrong with that. However when people pretend to know details about God and how God wants us to love our lives then I simply can't take you seriously anymore.

This is the problem with the gods are outside of science problem.

If a god can't be detected by science, fine. But if someone claims to know something about a god then THAT can be tested by science. None of those tests point to any god.

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    This is the problem with the gods are outside of science problem.

If a god can't be detected by science, fine. But if someone claims to know something about a god then THAT can be tested by science. None of those tests point to any god.
    What does this mean?

How would a test point to a god?

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    What does this mean?

How would a test point to a god?
    The same way we test anything. Through observation, testing, seeing a pattern... something.

This is where you say "well God is outside our natural world"

Which ultimately is just a scape goat answer because there is no basis at all to believe that. Except stories. Stories are not validation.

The same way we test anything. Through observation, testing, seeing a pattern... something.

This is where you say "well God is outside our natural world"

Which ultimately is just a scape goat answer because there is no basis at all to believe that. Except stories. Stories are not validation.

What's an example of how a test would point to God?

How about someone repeatibly raising people from the dead regardless of how they perished after saying a prayer for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    How about someone repeatibly raising people from the dead regardless of how they perished after saying a prayer for them?
    So basically if we observe something which we cannot explain through natural means?

Apparently Jesus done did that, btw

So basically if we observe something which we cannot explain through natural means?
    No. That's simply the god of the gaps.

Again, if gods lay outside of our ability to EVER be able to test for them how can anyone claim to know of their existence or what they reward or punish?

Well that is a tough question. Even within the confines of religion God is not defined. So when something is not defined it's impossible to give you an accurate answer to your question.

So we are left to figure these things out using the senses we have. Perhaps we are very limited with our few senses and perhaps there is alot going on around us we are oblivious to. But that's all speculation.

So all we can do is use the tools we have and not believe things until there is a reason to believe them.

If the tools we use are limited then I wouldn't know any better which still doesn't justify the belief in these religion based God's.

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    No. That's simply the god of the gaps.

Again, if gods lay outside of our ability to EVER be able to test for them how can anyone claim to know of their existence or what they reward or punish?
    I understand that's simply God of the gaps, if you break down what he's saying is that not his argument? That was basically my point right there.

Well I can claim to know of a gods existence because I know that there must be a supernatural element to our universe because according to the laws of nature, natural law cannot self create.

I put the I's in bold because I understand that for whatever reason, this reality doesn't seem to apply to everyone. I can't explain to you why that is, I just know that from talking about this earlier, this is somehow or another not a reality in some people's lives. But either way, it's my answer, it's a major part of why I think what I think.

Some of us feel that while God may kinda above and beyond human capability, we still feel a connection with him, we still feel in tune with him, we believe some people who brought us these books are very knowledgable and have an AMAZIGLY strong connection with our maker and so we follow in their footsteps, and follow their books and traditions etc. Just the same way if you love beer and a brewmaster shows you how to brew it you listen to what they say and see what works for you and what doesn't, this is basically many peoples approach with their religion, it helps us create that personal connection with God. It helps us understand.

Well that is a tough question. Even within the confines of religion God is not defined. So when something is not defined it's impossible to give you an accurate answer to your question.

So we are left to figure these things out using the senses we have. Perhaps we are very limited with our few senses and perhaps there is alot going on around us we are oblivious to. But that's all speculation.

So all we can do is use the tools we have and not believe things until there is a reason to believe them.

If the tools we use are limited then I wouldn't know any better which still doesn't justify the belief in these religion based God's.

God IS defined (somewhat universally), unfortunately for the scientists mind this definition places it outside of science. So this is where our divide begins...

It's funny reading your post cuz I agree with a lot that you're saying, it's just our conclusions are obviously very opposite.

I understand that's simply God of the gaps, if you break down what he's saying is that not his argument? That was basically my point right there.

Well I can claim to know of a gods existence because I know that there must be a supernatural element to our universe because according to the laws of nature, natural law cannot self create.
    So, god of the gaps.

Some of us feel that while God may kinda above and beyond human capability, we still feel a connection with him, we still feel in tune with him, we believe some people who brought us these books are very knowledgable and have an AMAZIGLY strong connection with our maker and so we follow in their footsteps, and follow their books and traditions etc. Just the same way if you love beer and a brewmaster shows you how to brew it you listen to what they say and see what works for you and what doesn't, this is basically many peoples approach with their religion, it helps us create that personal connection with God. It helps us understand.
    Some people believe they have amazingly strong connections with characters from TV series.
    I believe those people are delusional.

There's no evidence that these people with connections to gods know more about the universe than anyone else. If they did, that would be evidence, but FAR from proof, of the existence of gods

What Science Can't Do

It has always seemed strange to me that people have trouble grasping the creation of the universe and their answer is to say God created it as if you don't run into the same problem of creation with God.

If it's easy for you to grasp God being immortal or infinite, why can't you grasp that principle for the universe itself?

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast