Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Futures Game Comment..

Fangraphs was somewhat effusive in it's praise of some of the players at the USA v World Futures games with Mike Trout receiving the lion's share of praise, however, the note that truly struck home was:

..the best showing before the game belonged to Lonnie Chisenhall. The Indians prospect has a beautiful swing, and effortlessly hit a couple balls over the right field fence. Itís hard to imagine that he doesnít hit in the Major Leagues...
    The CHIZ has only a few more weeks in the minors before he becomes a member of the Sons of Geronimo.. a sweet swing, a solid glove and a work ethic that knows no boundaries.. just what Chris Antonetti/Mark Shapiro need to boost the team's performance..

Baseball America chimed in with the following comment:
    With a quick, compact stroke, Chisenhall has one of the best pure swings in the minors. It wasn't a big surprise that he showed an efficient swing in BP and good plate discipline during the game, but one question scouts have had is how much power Chisenhall will have. So while Mike Moustakas (Royals) and Brown crushing balls over the fence in BP wasn't much of a shock, it was more surprising to see Chisenhall doing the same while generating excellent loft and backspin on several balls.

Quote Originally Posted by GeronimoSon View Post
    Fangraphs was somewhat effusive in it's praise of some of the players at the USA v World Futures games with Mike Trout receiving the lion's share of praise, however, the note that truly struck home was:

The CHIZ has only a few more weeks in the minors before he becomes a member of the Sons of Geronimo.. a sweet swing, a solid glove and a work ethic that knows no boundaries.. just what Chris Antonetti/Mark Shapiro need to boost the team's performance..
    wow....

Try another year. He won't be up this year. Tribe's 40-man is far too crowded at the moment and Chiz isn't even Rule 5 eligible after this season. No way he's called up especially after missing time with an injury.

There is a chance he's in Columbus sometime in August....but even that is no guarantee. Goedert needs to be called up first.

As far as Chiz the player....he does look about as close to a can't miss as you can get, right up there with Santana. Was just ranked the 18th (I believe?) best prospect by Baseball America (mid-season rankings). Probably would have been a bit higher if not for the shoulder injury, which zapped his power to start the year.

I've said it before but he reminds me a lot of Carlos Baerga when he was young, but with an even sweeter swing and better defense. I see him hitting .300 with 200 hits and 15-25 HRs a year. He's athletic enough that he could play pretty much anywhere on the infield just like Baerga (Bearga was a SS originally just like Chiz then a 3B before Thome pushed him to 2B).

3B is his though sometime in the summer of 2011 if he can take it. Looks like an ideal #3 hitter with Santana and Laporta 4-5. The heart of great lineup.
    Last edited by Hermie13; 07-13-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Chen also had a great showing at the Futures Game. Was also praised somewhat for his catching ability though it sounded like it was more a product of the other catchers just being even worse than him. He's still not likely to remain back there if he reaches the MLs....his bat though could carry him there regardless.

Tribe will still give him time behind the plate though as it definitely increases his value.

I could see him called up some time last year sort of like the santana situation. IMO when everybody gets healthy and called up we are going to be very dangerous 1-9. Kipnes Chisanhall Drubal Laporta Infield Godeart DH in 2012. Pitching on the other hand scares me. White projects so does hagadone hopefully the lefty we just drafted is the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by 11tg635 View Post
    I could see him called up some time last year sort of like the santana situation. IMO when everybody gets healthy and called up we are going to be very dangerous 1-9. Kipnes Chisanhall Drubal Laporta Infield Godeart DH in 2012. Pitching on the other hand scares me. White projects so does hagadone hopefully the lefty we just drafted is the real deal.
    This does look like where we're headed on the infield. On thing about DH though is Hafner is still under contract for 2012 so will be interesting to see what we do with him then.

Not really a fan of Goedert DH but it's possible. Tribe still isn't that high on him. While he's having an unreal season, he needs to show this the real him and not the previous couple seasons. He's definitely back on their radar (he was actually close to being cut before the season due to the numbers crunch in AAA/AA).

2B is going to be IMO the most interesting position to watch going forward. Donald, Valbuena, Phelps, Goedert (if they let him move back there), Kipnis, and maybe Washington (if he can't cut it in CF) and Wolters (if he can't stick at SS)....

Went from being one of the weakest positions in the system to arguably the strongest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermie13 View Post
    This does look like where we're headed on the infield. On thing about DH though is Hafner is still under contract for 2012 so will be interesting to see what we do with him then.

Not really a fan of Goedert DH but it's possible. Tribe still isn't that high on him. While he's having an unreal season, he needs to show this the real him and not the previous couple seasons. He's definitely back on their radar (he was actually close to being cut before the season due to the numbers crunch in AAA/AA).

2B is going to be IMO the most interesting position to watch going forward. Donald, Valbuena, Phelps, Goedert (if they let him move back there), Kipnis, and maybe Washington (if he can't cut it in CF) and Wolters (if he can't stick at SS)....

Went from being one of the weakest positions in the system to arguably the strongest.
    I was reading on indiansprospectinsider that before he got injured he was raking like he is now and said him moving to second is what injured him if he would dh he would only have to worry about hitting

Quote Originally Posted by 11tg635 View Post
    I was reading on indiansprospectinsider that before he got injured he was raking like he is now and said him moving to second is what injured him if he would dh he would only have to worry about hitting
    He was hitting extremely well down in LC in 2007 before the injuries. Problem is though he is still low on the depth charts. As said (and on indiansprospectinsider), he's below Kyle Bellows as far as organizational talent at 3B in the eyes of the Tribe.

Guy needs to repeat this year's performance before you can start talking ML DH with him. Especially with Weglarz well ahead of him as a prospect. Wegz started out slow upon his promotion to AAA but is having a big July so far and has his OPS up to .800. He's probably the favorite for the DH spot come 2012 depending on where Grady and Choo are (Brantley being the other OFer).

That all said, I agree you have to keep him in mind for DH (and 3B, 1B, 2B, and LF/RF) in the coming years. Still say he needs to show he can play multiple positions like a Casey Blake or Mark DeRosa to have big time value to this club going forward. But man, hard to ignore that bat right now.

He could also become a decent trade chip going forward.
    Last edited by Hermie13; 07-15-2010 at 12:38 PM.

The fan club is composed of reforms for all issues for the citizens. The chain of the event and edugeeksclub review for the ways. The path is a field for the ream for the concluded element for the citizens.