Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Not every question is meant for an atheist to respond.

Some of these questions are for people who have a belief in a higher power.

So get over yourself, understand that there are people who believe in God and stop inserting your atheist belief system into ever conversation.

We are, after all, on a religion forum... Not an atheist forum. Try to be respectful of those who do believe.
    Atheism is not a belief system.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Not every question is meant for an atheist to respond.

Some of these questions are for people who have a belief in a higher power.

So get over yourself, understand that there are people who believe in God and stop inserting your atheist belief system into ever conversation.

We are, after all, on a religion forum... Not an atheist forum. Try to be respectful of those who do believe.
    An atheist started the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

Calvinism and Predestination

1) I knew that the only thing some of you would take from my response is "atheism is not a belief" completely ignoring the whole point.

2)Regardless of who started the thread, why does every thread have to have atheist bashing Christians for what we believe?

It's laughable. It doesn't matter what the thread is about, it will always devolve into someone inevitably saying Christians are stupid for believing in the bible.

It adds NOTHING to the conversation and the mods should really start deleting posts and giving out infractions because it derails the conversation from the point of the topic.

But that won't happen because no LGBTQ/ProChoice/Minority's feelings were hurt.

1) I knew that the only thing some of you would take from my response is "atheism is not a belief" completely ignoring the whole point.

2)Regardless of who started the thread, why does every thread have to have atheist bashing Christians for what we believe?

It's laughable. It doesn't matter what the thread is about, it will always devolve into someone inevitably saying Christians are stupid for believing in the bible.

It adds NOTHING to the conversation and the mods should really start deleting posts and giving out infractions because it derails the conversation from the point of the topic.

Well... you can report posts that you feel are disruptive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

Didn't know that... mods just always seem to step in when it's offensive to every other group.

But I will take your advice and report

Didn't know that... mods just always seem to step in when it's offensive to every other group.

But I will take your advice and report
    Mods are not always vigilant forum to forum. It can create confusion -- what's "acceptable" in one forum may get you an infraction in another.

Wrong verb. Try "challenging." Atheist enjoy "challenging" theists, especially Christians, on their beliefs, essentially because these beliefs influence so much of our secular world here in America. If these beliefs went no further than your local churches, few of us would care.

Too often when these beliefs are challenged, it is often thought of as "bashing." That usually is not the case although, to be fair, it sometimes is.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

I was scrolling through the forum here and never knew this portion existed and saw this portion decided to click on it. Frankly, the reason I'm posting in here in a post that's over a year old is that I would argue no one has come close to giving justification to the Calvinist view of predestination. This is not a matter which can simply be summed up in a few paragraphs, but I will do my best to get to some of the key points.

Predestination is in reference to God's absolute sovereignty. It's the belief that God is in absolute control of history. It's deeply rooted in the rationale that God has control over all of creation. While all humans are sinners and are unworthy of God's grace, God chooses a group of His "elect" to be saved. Some notable examples of predestination in scripture include Ephesians 1:4-6, 1:11-12 and Matthew 22:14. No one is saved on their own merits because none of us are worthy of this grace.

A lot of people confuse predestination and double predestination, double predestination is heresy, God does not predestine people to hell. Again, to completely explain this concept it would take far more than a couple paragraphs to explain, this doctrine doesn't eliminate human responsibility, that would be hyper-Calvinism, also heresy. To deny God's sovereignty is absolute heresy, and sways into a number of unbiblical beliefs.

I could go into more detail and a few sentences don't give this justice and I would love to add more to this, but this is a very bare bones explanation. It's a complicated topic which often is written off as irrelevant because people don't understand it.

Welcome to the forum IRNMN!

Great explanation of Calvinism in a quick post. I rarely discuss this topic because I don't consider it a "Salvation" issue and it usually divides believers more than anything else.

Like I said, I have many Calvinist friends and love them all dearly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12