Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 163 of 164 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164 LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 2448
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    well, tis the time of the year where optimism runs high...and then my pessimistic *** will chime in once Wiggins is eating up 34 mpg and leading us in shot attempts 20 games in. But, like you said, a new regime is here, and honestly making decisions, so far, I like. Even hiring a recovery/rest doctor, and some guys who are developmental coaches, is such a drastic view change from prior. The biggest issue we have always faced, is we never develop anyone, and relied on a few guys to develop themselves. So annoying. The Spurs could turn Helen Keller into a 3-D rotation player, yet we can't develop anything.
    Indeed. The Spurs are not one of the large market teams but they still manage to be competitive every season. Even without Kawhi/Duncan.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdom Listens View Post
    Indeed. The Spurs are not one of the large market teams but they still manage to be competitive every season. Even without Kawhi/Duncan.
    But they are a warm weather team with one of the GOATs at coach. Plus they went Robinson/ Duncan to Manu/Parker/Duncan to Duncan/Kawhi to Kawhi/Aldridge to Aldridge/DeRozen.

They have gotten a lot of production form players they have helped cultivate is the point. There are plenty of warm weather teams that can't draw good players.

I know you guys are going to hate me for this, but what about Melo at PF for a year for about $5 million? He can still play. I feel like we are a mediocre team regardless(meaning a late lottery pick), so why not get into the playoffs? I think Melo is still a plus player as a starter given a role. I understand that Teague,Wiggins and Melo in the starting lineup is terrible, but considering Melo has been working on becoming a perimeter player(with questionable success), we may be fine offensively.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

Quote Originally Posted by m_witter2003 View Post
    But they are a warm weather team with one of the GOATs at coach. Plus they went Robinson/ Duncan to Manu/Parker/Duncan to Duncan/Kawhi to Kawhi/Aldridge to Aldridge/DeRozen.
    warm weather has nothing to do with it. They were ahead of their time with international scouts, and bringing in developmental coaching. Sure, they hit the jackpot by having D-Rob, Sean Elliot, and half the roster go down for most the year in 93-94', which landed them Duncan, but they also plucked good players late in the draft (remember nearly every team had a chance at Manu/Paker but passed), and rarely made mistakes along the way. They, like the Patriots, are the model of what teams attempt to do, or should that is.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

I've mentioned this before, and I was reminded of this when I was reading an article about Bell. I believe that the team is attempting the real definition of moneyball. Some people IMO misunderstand it, thinking it's only buying cheap players that will later have more value. Now if I understood it correctly because my knowledge of baseball is minimal, the point is to find the players that do specific jobs in order to fill a need of the team.
    And I think that is what the Wolves have attempted this year. First with the hiring of a defensive and a offensive coordinator. Then by analyzing the team and finding what they need.
    Will it work? Who knows? We are the Wolves.

In addition to my previously terrible idea, if we need to add a scoring punch off the bench in mid season, B-Easy will likely be available.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

Quote Originally Posted by silverson View Post
    I've mentioned this before, and I was reminded of this when I was reading an article about Bell. I believe that the team is attempting the real definition of moneyball. Some people IMO misunderstand it, thinking it's only buying cheap players that will later have more value. Now if I understood it correctly because my knowledge of baseball is minimal, the point is to find the players that do specific jobs in order to fill a need of the team.
    And I think that is what the Wolves have attempted this year. First with the hiring of a defensive and a offensive coordinator. Then by analyzing the team and finding what they need.
    Will it work? Who knows? We are the Wolves.
    yeah it is very close to the definition of money ball. The basketball version is probably more lose, but I imagine it is looking for a few things, versus one. Baseball is so at bat/single pitch specific, if you have literally one elite skillset they will find a spot for you. Basketball, you can't hide someone who sucks at a lot of things so easily haha.

Culver was/is a stat nerds projection dream, but Houston ran with this for years, and usually succeeded in finding rotational talent, and good players versus pick spot. But the basis was always still that those players are great, but stars rule, which is indeed the case in the NBA. All the role players Morey/Rosas used to compile were cheap, so they were attractive as asset pieces when chasing big fish.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Would the wolves trade Covington and Okogie for Bledsoe if the Bucks would suggest it?

Quote Originally Posted by buckalis View Post
    Would the wolves trade Covington and Okogie for Bledsoe if the Bucks would suggest it?
    I would imagine there is literally 0 chance that would happen. Bledsoe is an almost 30 year old oft injured PG, his timeline doesn't matchup with Towns, or any other young player we have. So why would we trade arguably our most valuable contract, and a young rotation player on a rookie deal for 3 more years, for Eric Bledsoe? I am not even sure if you swapped Middleton for Bledsoe we would do it, but that would at least make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I would imagine there is literally 0 chance that would happen. Bledsoe is an almost 30 year old oft injured PG, his timeline doesn't matchup with Towns, or any other young player we have. So why would we trade arguably our most valuable contract, and a young rotation player on a rookie deal for 3 more years, for Eric Bledsoe? I am not even sure if you swapped Middleton for Bledsoe we would do it, but that would at least make sense.
    Aren't the Wolves looking for a starting PG? Isn't the PG that is used to do the work behind Giannis, a proven PG to have behind KAT? Isn't having a starting PG secure at a great salary contract for 3 or 4 seasons a safe investment for the Wolves to have?

If you insist that Bledsoe wouldn't suit you and it was up to you to decide, would you prefer a 3-team deal that would get you Schroeder instead of Bledsoe?

For instance...

OKC receives: Ilyasova, Matthews and Okogie
    Wolves receive: Schroeder and 2x2nd from the Bucks (both via Pacers) & a 1st from OKC (via Clippers) &...
    Bucks receive: Covington

Does this looks better IYO?

Aren't the Wolves looking for a starting PG? Isn't the PG that is used to do the work behind Giannis, a proven PG to have behind KAT? Isn't having a starting PG secure at a great salary contract for 3 or 4 seasons a safe investment for the Wolves to have?

If you insist that Bledsoe wouldn't suit you and it was up to you to decide, would you prefer a 3-team deal that would get you Schroeder instead of Bledsoe?

For instance...

OKC receives: Ilyasova, Matthews and Okogie
    Wolves receive: Schroeder and 2x2nd from the Bucks (both via Pacers) & a 1st from OKC (via Clippers) &...
    Bucks receive: Covington

Does this looks better IYO?
    I think we'd only move Covington for a really strong return - rightly or wrongly, he's valued very highly within the Wolves org. We supposedly knocked back Pick 4 for him in the draft just gone.

I also think we're looking at young/established players, rather than picks at this stage. Rosas (our new POBO) looks to be wanting to build around KAT with players of or around the same age. This is just going off stuff I've read/watched in the media, but I don't think Covington gets moved for anything less than an upcoming, 20-25 year old with All Star-type upside. That might sound like he's being over-valued (which, to be honest, he probably is), but that's at least my take on it.

I think we're focused right now on moving Dieng contract and possibly Wiggins - and adding a second or third 'star' to build with KAT. I don't think you'll see us involved in any other meaningful trades/talks outside of that. I also think, and this is just conjecture, that Covington will be the key piece we offer in trying to get Russell across from GSW - we would likely need to add an Okogie/Pick as well, but once Klay gets healthy, a late-season roster of Curry-Klay-Covington-Green-Looney/WCS becomes damn scary.

It does seem that Covington would suit well the GSW roster after KD's gone... and it also seems that Russel isn't chemistry wise the perfect man to have in the place of Thompson, but there are alternatives to Covington that GSW would look for and would come much cheaper... (Bjelica, any out of the Morris twins, Jabari Parker... just to name a few), GSW could consider even more expensive (Gallinari, Porter etc) given Russell's salary...

But I think that none of this will happen, I think that CAA wants to pair D.A. Russell with Zion (who also is with CAA) to the Pelicans and therefore there will be a Jrue Holliday for D.A Russell trade happening... (given that Holliday fits GSW's roster much better than Russell does in order to temporarily take Thompson's role, but to be used as Curry/Thompson back-up too later on).

Therefore I think that GSW will look for a cheaper alternative to Covington (trade cost wise, not salary wise) than use Russell in order to get a 3/4 combo...

Honestly, I think that the Wolves can't find better than Bledsoe (or even Schroeder) available in the trade market... There is an obvious shortage on starting-able PGs in the league and the position is too important for a team to ignore, it doesn't come cheap either, but a team without a starting PG can't really have a progress plan or plan for the short term future for that matter.

It does seem that Covington would suit well the GSW roster after KD's gone... and it also seems that Russel isn't chemistry wise the perfect man to have in the place of Thompson, but there are alternatives to Covington that GSW would look for and would come much cheaper... (Bjelica, any out of the Morris twins, Jabari Parker... just to name a few), GSW could consider even more expensive (Gallinari, Porter etc) given Russell's salary...

But I think that none of this will happen, I think that CAA wants to pair D.A. Russell with Zion (who also is with CAA) to the Pelicans and therefore there will be a Jrue Holliday for D.A Russell trade happening... (given that Holliday fits GSW's roster much better than Russell does in order to temporarily take Thompson's role, but to be used as Curry/Thompson back-up too later on).

Therefore I think that GSW will look for a cheaper alternative to Covington (trade cost wise, not salary wise) than use Russell in order to get a 3/4 combo...

Honestly, I think that the Wolves can't find better than Bledsoe (or even Schroeder) available in the trade market... There is an obvious shortage on starting-able PGs in the league and the position is too important for a team to ignore, it doesn't come cheap either, but a team without a starting PG can't really have a progress plan or plan for the short term future for that matter.
    Bledsoe is pretty good, especially considering his value for his contract, but he is due for a big injury(unfortunately based on his history) and by the time the Wolves are really ready to compete, Bledsoe will be 32. I would say this, if Culver plays like the real deal and there is no way we can get Russel by moving RoCo+moderate asset, this deal would be a pretty good one. But to be honest, while Bledsoe is a borderline Allstar right now, I don't think he is a needle mover in 2-3 years from now and if someone from that age group fit with what we are doing, we could have just kept DRose around. I would also prefer Kyle Lowry to Bledsoe if we are in the win now mode and he is likely available and can be obtained fairly cheaply.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

Honestly, if I am building this team around KAT, I get him and his buddies together. Basically:
    1) Trade Wiggins, Culver + top 3 protected first for Devin Booker
    2) Trade whoever you have to trade to GS and get Russel when GS is ready to move him.

I think that KAT, Booker, Russel + right role-players is a contender in the modern NBA in year or two. At least, if I was playing NBA2K GM mode, that would be my first build.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1: