Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 145 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145
Results 2,161 to 2,167 of 2167
  1. #2161
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I agree, but please excuse me for having a hesitant optimism for a team that continually makes more bad decisions than good is all. Seriously man, imagine yourself in around 10-12 years (our age diff), with those years filled with more, and more disappointment. Getting an idea where I am yet? Factor in as well I have a 2 year old daughter, and a son coming in around 2 months, and my attention has gone elsewhere along with the slide in Wolves interest.

    Look, I hope they get it right. But this team could have landed Zion, had Durant take the min to come play here, and I would still be hesitant to believe they would get it right..
    I don't overly care if you are optimistic or not but don't run around saying you are the realist either then when you are just kinda mirroring the casual fans takes (whether that be high with Jimmy or not following much after). You even admit you aren't overly following things anymore and that fits too.

    Like you haven't really countered my takes on the team or anything, I am not basing this on optimism I am basing it on reality. That reality is leaving me much more optimistic than when my buddies who don't watch twolves texted me asking why I wasn't as hyped as them and so on with Butler. I don't see Covington or Okogie or Culver or even Towns as untouchable and I said to oefarmy we can expect another downish year next year this won't happen overnight. There are still positives to take away and discuss if you aren't just looking to be negative because you don't follow the team much anymore or got over hyped then let down or have done it too long etc.

    I never expect MN teams to be good but I am capable of noticing when they do good things. This FO seems to be a good thing by the accounts we have and the one clear chance they have had to make moves/improve has gone well. There is an actual promise with how they started so it will be talked about positively. I am not sure what you mean but if you don't think getting Zion/min Durant this offseason would have been "getting it right" from this FO assuming we kept Towns then I again would question the idea of realism and point out you clearly are just trying to be pessimistic even if the like best possible offseason had happened haha.

  2. #2162
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN
    Posts
    7,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I agree, but please excuse me for having a hesitant optimism for a team that continually makes more bad decisions than good is all. Seriously man, imagine yourself in around 10-12 years (our age diff), with those years filled with more, and more disappointment. Getting an idea where I am yet? Factor in as well I have a 2 year old daughter, and a son coming in around 2 months, and my attention has gone elsewhere along with the slide in Wolves interest.

    Look, I hope they get it right. But this team could have landed Zion, had Durant take the min to come play here, and I would still be hesitant to believe they would get it right..
    I think it's perfectly fine to be low on the Wolves, I am as well - it's what I call being realistic. And nothing is sacred while Taylor is the owner of this team, nothing. If anything, it's basically a 80% chance that they will screw whatever they are given on a silver platter up. I used to watch a lot of game as well, with my dad, every other night basically. My dad now hasn't watched a Wolves game in 10 years, simply because there is nothing worth watching. Obviously my fandom has changed. I am much more reserved in my fandom of the Wolves. I don't get worked up if the Wolves are loosing games, I expect it, but that's the ticket to also not get stressed out over it. The best stance with the Wolves(and every other MN sport, tbh) is always expect the worst and then be pleasantly surprised when it ends up being mediocre. Is it a good way to be a fan? No, but it definitely beats being delusional(Laker/Packer fans). Our teams absolutely sucked when we had Rubio, Lavine and yes(even a young Wiggins), but they were still fun to watch. If anything, overrated or underrated, Okogie is fun to watch, and I hope Culver will be too - and that's what I care more about than wins nowadays. I have transitioned from being a Wolves fan(don't get me wrong, they are still the only team I care about in probably all of pro sports), to being a player fan(Lavine, Rubio, Okogie, Doncic). Also, I would say that we have actually been doing better deeper in the draft over the last two years - KBD is underrated AF and as I have been trumpeting for a few days, I think Nowell will be good as well.


    PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

    a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

  3. #2163
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN
    Posts
    7,148
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I don't overly care if you are optimistic or not but don't run around saying you are the realist either then when you are just kinda mirroring the casual fans takes (whether that be high with Jimmy or not following much after). You even admit you aren't overly following things anymore and that fits too.

    Like you haven't really countered my takes on the team or anything, I am not basing this on optimism I am basing it on reality. That reality is leaving me much more optimistic than when my buddies who don't watch twolves texted me asking why I wasn't as hyped as them and so on with Butler. I don't see Covington or Okogie or Culver or even Towns as untouchable and I said to oefarmy we can expect another downish year next year this won't happen overnight. There are still positives to take away and discuss if you aren't just looking to be negative because you don't follow the team much anymore or got over hyped then let down or have done it too long etc.

    I never expect MN teams to be good but I am capable of noticing when they do good things. This FO seems to be a good thing by the accounts we have and the one clear chance they have had to make moves/improve has gone well. There is an actual promise with how they started so it will be talked about positively. I am not sure what you mean but if you don't think getting Zion/min Durant this offseason would have been "getting it right" from this FO assuming we kept Towns then I again would question the idea of realism and point out you clearly are just trying to be pessimistic even if the like best possible offseason had happened haha.
    On one hand you are calling somebody out for acting like a "casual fan" and on the other hand you are jumping to conclusions about how this front office is performing based exactly two things they have done: moved up in the draft and then publicly stating they are interested in somebody else's RESTRICTED free agent. The only reason I am more optimistic this year is because we can't be hit by the injury bug in back-to-back years right?(Sure we can, this in MN after all). Well that and the fact that I really like our 2nd round picks from the last two drafts. Saying "prove me wrong" is not being a "casual fan", it's being a true, blue-green in your blood Timberwolves fan, with a capital F. The "casual fans"(we all know you mean bandwagon) of the Wolves died out 15 years ago and that's a fact.
    Last edited by Oefarmy2005; Today at 03:36 PM.


    PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

    a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

  4. #2164
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    78,949
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I don't overly care if you are optimistic or not but don't run around saying you are the realist either then when you are just kinda mirroring the casual fans takes (whether that be high with Jimmy or not following much after). You even admit you aren't overly following things anymore and that fits too.

    Like you haven't really countered my takes on the team or anything, I am not basing this on optimism I am basing it on reality. That reality is leaving me much more optimistic than when my buddies who don't watch twolves texted me asking why I wasn't as hyped as them and so on with Butler. I don't see Covington or Okogie or Culver or even Towns as untouchable and I said to oefarmy we can expect another downish year next year this won't happen overnight. There are still positives to take away and discuss if you aren't just looking to be negative because you don't follow the team much anymore or got over hyped then let down or have done it too long etc.

    I never expect MN teams to be good but I am capable of noticing when they do good things. This FO seems to be a good thing by the accounts we have and the one clear chance they have had to make moves/improve has gone well. There is an actual promise with how they started so it will be talked about positively. I am not sure what you mean but if you don't think getting Zion/min Durant this offseason would have been "getting it right" from this FO assuming we kept Towns then I again would question the idea of realism and point out you clearly are just trying to be pessimistic even if the like best possible offseason had happened haha.
    why counter your points? We have been through this exercise a thousand times (the fans and retooling this team top to bottom). Everything you are typing is great, but holds no water when it comes to reality. The Wolves are the ones that need to prove their words, not me.

    Maybe I should just stay away from this board, and let some of you younger guys get at it without the crusty old guy who is sick of cheering for continued failure. Let me know if they ever get it right

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  5. #2165
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Oefarmy2005 View Post
    On one hand you are calling somebody out for acting like a "casual fan" and on the other hand you are jumping to conclusions about how this front office is performing based exactly two things they have done: moved up in the draft and then publicly stating they are interested in somebody else's RESTRICTED free agent. The only reason I am more optimistic this year is because we can't be hit by the injury bug in back-to-back years right?(Sure we can, this in MN after all). Well that and the fact that I really like our 2nd round picks from the last two drafts. Saying "prove me wrong" is not being a "casual fan", it's being a true, blue-green in your blood Timberwolves fan, with a capital F. The "casual fans"(we all know you mean bandwagon) of the Wolves died out 15 years ago and that's a fact.
    I am saying someone not invested in the team by their own admission is more casual and linking how my other casual fan friends think the same way as he has. They didn't die out it is just that Butler left so they faded into the background more and when you hear them it is just complaining wolves are always bad again etc (based on my experiences). It is the arguments/rhetoric/way he is choosing to discuss that is similar to that approach and I think is normally off base as it ignores the actual current team/specifics.

    A separate point is that this FO by early accounts/readings and the limited we have seen has promise.

    I am not saying anyone down on the team is a casual fan though lol that would be strawman. I have been down on the team plenty before but it wasn't based on my own free time, me not watching games, me losing interest, the history unrelated to current players and FO. That is very important because all of this is actually just personal stuff and not related to the actual wolves right now is my point. You can whine all you want about the team but I am not overrating them in reality just because he is mad/angry/whiny personally and if he wants to talk about the actual team and overrating as I said he can feel free at any point to actually cover what I said about the actual team.
    Last edited by mngopher35; Today at 05:31 PM.

  6. #2166
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    why counter your points? We have been through this exercise a thousand times (the fans and retooling this team top to bottom). Everything you are typing is great, but holds no water when it comes to reality. The Wolves are the ones that need to prove their words, not me.

    Maybe I should just stay away from this board, and let some of you younger guys get at it without the crusty old guy who is sick of cheering for continued failure. Let me know if they ever get it right
    Lol this is what I mean he openly says he doesn't want to counter and we have been through it a thousand times but this is all new. We haven't at all. He just questioned me specifically on our roster and Covington/okogie and Culver was in there too. He doesn't want to get into my breakdown of the team but still wants to pretend this makes him a realist by ignoring reality being pointed out/having no counters.

    Now our ages matter too lol. See my problem isn't that you have a negative opinion on the team it is that you are being pessimistic/whiny/bashing without any real validity as to what this team is now. When I bring up points you don't acknowledge anything with validity it is just more of the same going into personal issues weirdly.

    It's all about your personal life, our age compared to yours, you not wanting to have to get into but still saying others are wrong with 0 validity etc. that is the problem. If you have negative points feel free to share but at least back them up otherwise you start looking like that "crusty old guy" yelling fake news at everyone else who disagrees while never adding facts/data/validity to your own arguments.

  7. #2167
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,404
    This FO, these players, and so on are all something new and different. It will likely end up as the same old failed experiment down the road sure, that's how sports work for a large large large majority of teams/FO's throughout sports.

    If your argument is we are the wolves, we suck, we have been through this before, I am older than you, you just don't understand but I won't back up my points etc. I just don't think that is meaningful as it relates to THIS team. It is just personal feelings/disappointment from past and so on getting in the way of wanting to talk logically about what is going on now (probably to avoid the hurt when it fails).

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •