Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 163 of 163 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163
Results 2,431 to 2,438 of 2438
  1. #2431
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    9,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    well, tis the time of the year where optimism runs high...and then my pessimistic *** will chime in once Wiggins is eating up 34 mpg and leading us in shot attempts 20 games in. But, like you said, a new regime is here, and honestly making decisions, so far, I like. Even hiring a recovery/rest doctor, and some guys who are developmental coaches, is such a drastic view change from prior. The biggest issue we have always faced, is we never develop anyone, and relied on a few guys to develop themselves. So annoying. The Spurs could turn Helen Keller into a 3-D rotation player, yet we can't develop anything.
    Indeed. The Spurs are not one of the large market teams but they still manage to be competitive every season. Even without Kawhi/Duncan.

  2. #2432
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisdom Listens View Post
    Indeed. The Spurs are not one of the large market teams but they still manage to be competitive every season. Even without Kawhi/Duncan.
    But they are a warm weather team with one of the GOATs at coach. Plus they went Robinson/ Duncan to Manu/Parker/Duncan to Duncan/Kawhi to Kawhi/Aldridge to Aldridge/DeRozen.

  3. #2433
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    9,005
    They have gotten a lot of production form players they have helped cultivate is the point. There are plenty of warm weather teams that can't draw good players.

  4. #2434
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN
    Posts
    7,187
    I know you guys are going to hate me for this, but what about Melo at PF for a year for about $5 million? He can still play. I feel like we are a mediocre team regardless(meaning a late lottery pick), so why not get into the playoffs? I think Melo is still a plus player as a starter given a role. I understand that Teague,Wiggins and Melo in the starting lineup is terrible, but considering Melo has been working on becoming a perimeter player(with questionable success), we may be fine offensively.


    PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

    a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

  5. #2435
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    79,110
    Quote Originally Posted by m_witter2003 View Post
    But they are a warm weather team with one of the GOATs at coach. Plus they went Robinson/ Duncan to Manu/Parker/Duncan to Duncan/Kawhi to Kawhi/Aldridge to Aldridge/DeRozen.
    warm weather has nothing to do with it. They were ahead of their time with international scouts, and bringing in developmental coaching. Sure, they hit the jackpot by having D-Rob, Sean Elliot, and half the roster go down for most the year in 93-94', which landed them Duncan, but they also plucked good players late in the draft (remember nearly every team had a chance at Manu/Paker but passed), and rarely made mistakes along the way. They, like the Patriots, are the model of what teams attempt to do, or should that is.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  6. #2436
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,644
    I've mentioned this before, and I was reminded of this when I was reading an article about Bell. I believe that the team is attempting the real definition of moneyball. Some people IMO misunderstand it, thinking it's only buying cheap players that will later have more value. Now if I understood it correctly because my knowledge of baseball is minimal, the point is to find the players that do specific jobs in order to fill a need of the team.
    And I think that is what the Wolves have attempted this year. First with the hiring of a defensive and a offensive coordinator. Then by analyzing the team and finding what they need.
    Will it work? Who knows? We are the Wolves.

  7. #2437
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN
    Posts
    7,187
    In addition to my previously terrible idea, if we need to add a scoring punch off the bench in mid season, B-Easy will likely be available.


    PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

    a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

  8. #2438
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    79,110
    Quote Originally Posted by silverson View Post
    I've mentioned this before, and I was reminded of this when I was reading an article about Bell. I believe that the team is attempting the real definition of moneyball. Some people IMO misunderstand it, thinking it's only buying cheap players that will later have more value. Now if I understood it correctly because my knowledge of baseball is minimal, the point is to find the players that do specific jobs in order to fill a need of the team.
    And I think that is what the Wolves have attempted this year. First with the hiring of a defensive and a offensive coordinator. Then by analyzing the team and finding what they need.
    Will it work? Who knows? We are the Wolves.
    yeah it is very close to the definition of money ball. The basketball version is probably more lose, but I imagine it is looking for a few things, versus one. Baseball is so at bat/single pitch specific, if you have literally one elite skillset they will find a spot for you. Basketball, you can't hide someone who sucks at a lot of things so easily haha.

    Culver was/is a stat nerds projection dream, but Houston ran with this for years, and usually succeeded in finding rotational talent, and good players versus pick spot. But the basis was always still that those players are great, but stars rule, which is indeed the case in the NBA. All the role players Morey/Rosas used to compile were cheap, so they were attractive as asset pieces when chasing big fish.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •