Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2021 NBA Draft thread

With the Timberwolves it looks like y'all are picking 1st again for the 2nd year in a row from mocks that I've seen virtually everywhere and taking Cade Cunningham with the #1 overall pick

Have to wait and see what happens in the lottery. If we keep our pick(has to be in the top 3) I would think it will be somewhat similar to last year, "expect the wolves to shop their top pick for a star" headlines will fill your Twitter feeds. If we don't keep our pick, it will be interesting to see what Rosas does. He likes to make trades and be active on draft night, so I would expect him to try and get back into the draft if the pick ultimately goes to the warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by MadCowKG View Post
    Have to wait and see what happens in the lottery. If we keep our pick(has to be in the top 3) I would think it will be somewhat similar to last year, "expect the wolves to shop their top pick for a star" headlines will fill your Twitter feeds. If we don't keep our pick, it will be interesting to see what Rosas does. He likes to make trades and be active on draft night, so I would expect him to try and get back into the draft if the pick ultimately goes to the warriors.
    This year is good up top the draft, and we could badly use Cade ot Jalen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    This year is good up top the draft, and we could badly use Cade ot Jalen.
    I think Mobley, Cade, and Suggs would all be great additions. I'm not sure what the haul ultimately would have been for the number 1 pick last year but I would have to think a top-three pick this year could be moved easier and for a better return. It's a good thing our pick is top 3 protected, at least you aren't losing out on one of those three assets if the pick ends up in the warriors hands.

I like Green and even Kuminga some too based on what I have seen but in the end it only really matters if we land top 3 or not. I think adding any of the top guys is going to be a major factor in our outlook moving forward and if we are likely to truly be a competitive team or more of a fringe playoff type.

We haven't had beasley but Russell came back now and with Edwards developed and Towns healthy too we actually have played well. I haven't noticed tons with the new coaching other than rotations and he lets em play a bit but overall seems solid to me so far.

We really need to keep that pick though.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I like Green and even Kuminga some too based on what I have seen but in the end it only really matters if we land top 3 or not. I think adding any of the top guys is going to be a major factor in our outlook moving forward and if we are likely to truly be a competitive team or more of a fringe playoff type.

We haven't had beasley but Russell came back now and with Edwards developed and Towns healthy too we actually have played well. I haven't noticed tons with the new coaching other than rotations and he lets em play a bit but overall seems solid to me so far.

We really need to keep that pick though.
    Certainly wouldn't hurt to add Cade, Suggs, or Mobley to this team now that we have seen they could be a competent team when fully healthy....I'd feel better about the Wiggins trade if we keep our top three this year and then we finish middle of the pack next year and only give away a 12-16 pick next year. I have watched most of the Finch-coached games and I think he has done way more than just better rotations. Even if we lose our pick because of playing well over the end of the season, I do see some value in the continuity with this team and having this momentum carry into the offseason. Not as much value as getting a top-three pick but the roster is at least proving it can win some games.

Quote Originally Posted by MadCowKG View Post
    Certainly wouldn't hurt to add Cade, Suggs, or Mobley to this team now that we have seen they could be a competent team when fully healthy....I'd feel better about the Wiggins trade if we keep our top three this year and then we finish middle of the pack next year and only give away a 12-16 pick next year. I have watched most of the Finch-coached games and I think he has done way more than just better rotations. Even if we lose our pick because of playing well over the end of the season, I do see some value in the continuity with this team and having this momentum carry into the offseason. Not as much value as getting a top-three pick but the roster is at least proving it can win some games.
    Ya I noted before the season how risky that was and here we are. I agree if it had just been next years pick instead we would be looking much better but making it this years could really limit us from taking a big step forward.

I mean it gets said every season the team does better in the 2nd half. We often seem to have a stretch like this but even ignoring that itís still a big difference between winning some games and truly competing. The pick is going to be the difference and if we lose it that will be a killer to the idea we will get to that next level we will be very limited going forward (unless we still suck in which case... well we would basically start over around Edwards).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya I noted before the season how risky that was and here we are. I agree if it had just been next years pick instead we would be looking much better but making it this years could really limit us from taking a big step forward.

I mean it gets said every season the team does better in the 2nd half. We often seem to have a stretch like this but even ignoring that itís still a big difference between winning some games and truly competing. The pick is going to be the difference and if we lose it that will be a killer to the idea we will get to that next level we will be very limited going forward (unless we still suck in which case... well we would basically start over around Edwards).

With the new lottery odds, the Wolves can't really win enough games to have a large enough effect. We've moved down to 4/5 even when our odds were like 70% to be in the top 3. As a realist, I will assume we are losing this pick and if we somehow end up keeping it, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I suggest you do the same. The truth is, how strong\weak a draft is is purely subjective. If anything, this past draft has already proven that. The 2020 draft may very well end being one of the best and deepest drafts in recent years. In fact, I am willing to bet on it.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

2021 NBA Draft thread

Quote Originally Posted by Oefarmy2005 View Post
    With the new lottery odds, the Wolves can't really win enough games to have a large enough effect. We've moved down to 4/5 even when our odds were like 70% to be in the top 3. As a realist, I will assume we are losing this pick and if we somehow end up keeping it, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I suggest you do the same. The truth is, how strong\weak a draft is is purely subjective. If anything, this past draft has already proven that. The 2020 draft may very well end being one of the best and deepest drafts in recent years. In fact, I am willing to bet on it.
    Well I was the one worried about losing it at the beginning of the year and said it could be high lol. I have been the expecting us to possibly lose a higher pick for a while thatís why I said the trade was riskier due to that possibility (and itís obviously looking more and more risky). We donít know what the options were but if he could have given something else like unprotected 22 itís a much better outlook for our future.

Even so itís seen as strong right now which would matter for trade value if long term we didnít see the prospects that way via scouting. The value of losing that pick is pretty high given where itís likely to end up.

I definitely agree though just expect not to have it. Itís always nice to dream of the what ifís though and how great of an outlook we could have if so.

Officially no draft picks this year.....for now. Does anyone think Rosas will prioritize getting a draft pick in this year's draft via trade? The NBA draft isn't like the NFL draft where GM's try to get picks because it is cheap depth but there is some value in trying to pick up an early 2nd/late 1st. With no cap space, it will be an interesting off-season to see what is changed.

I think the first priority will be trying to find ready talent to win. I could see a move including getting a later pick or 2nd though for sure within that push.

At least it wasnít a top 5 pick but this ones gonna sting a little. I have seen some Rosas hate and negative views overall online but I think there is still at least some hope for us. At the very least we should be competing for playoffs next year (especially assuming Rosas makes some moves)

I think the first priority will be trying to find ready talent to win. I could see a move including getting a later pick or 2nd though for sure within that push.

At least it wasnít a top 5 pick but this ones gonna sting a little. I have seen some Rosas hate and negative views overall online but I think there is still at least some hope for us. At the very least we should be competing for playoffs next year (especially assuming Rosas makes some moves)

I mean, the trade itself served multiple purposes. Wiggins was literally sucking the life out of Wolves fans. I have never seen so much negativity (including from myself) around the team than during his last couple of years, after he was maxed. Getting rid of him, and getting even a marginally better player in return, even though we surrendered the pick (which hurts, for sure), is still a positive to me. Hell even if the 7th pick turns into the GOAT, we can't look at the trade differently than we do today.

Hey at least we aren't adding $7M in salary this year, amirite?

I literally had one foot out the door that last 2 years Wiggins was here. I couldn't even watch us play. I just got irate.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

I mean, the trade itself served multiple purposes. Wiggins was literally sucking the life out of Wolves fans. I have never seen so much negativity (including from myself) around the team than during his last couple of years, after he was maxed. Getting rid of him, and getting even a marginally better player in return, even though we surrendered the pick (which hurts, for sure), is still a positive to me. Hell even if the 7th pick turns into the GOAT, we can't look at the trade differently than we do today.

Hey at least we aren't adding $7M in salary this year, amirite?

I literally had one foot out the door that last 2 years Wiggins was here. I couldn't even watch us play. I just got irate.
    I think the Wolves fans being so down on Wiggins is part of why some still see this as a win while largely outside it seems to be more called a good deal or even steal for Warriors due to his play last season. I agree he was bad here but we gave up a 7 pick which is pretty nice, hopefully Russell is healthy next year and gives us more reason to believe we still came out on top. I won't say it isn't a positive yet but looking at the trade today a lot are a bit down on our side of it now (Wolves fans seem more ok or at least mixed).

Russell/Edwards/Mcdaniels/?/Towns

Rubio/Culver/Okogie/Juancho/Naz/Nowell/Layman/Bolarmo/22 1st round pick all available for trade to get said ? or to keep as role players off bench hopefully. We should at least be able to watch us play next year if healthy which is a credit to Rosas no matter how you look at that trade in the end imo. However there is work to be done on getting one more solid piece at least along with maybe a role player or two via fa to replace what we lose in trade.

I think the Wolves fans being so down on Wiggins is part of why some still see this as a win while largely outside it seems to be more called a good deal or even steal for Warriors due to his play last season. I agree he was bad here but we gave up a 7 pick which is pretty nice, hopefully Russell is healthy next year and gives us more reason to believe we still came out on top. I won't say it isn't a positive yet but looking at the trade today a lot are a bit down on our side of it now (Wolves fans seem more ok or at least mixed).

Russell/Edwards/Mcdaniels/?/Towns

Rubio/Culver/Okogie/Juancho/Naz/Nowell/Layman/Bolarmo/22 1st round pick all available for trade to get said ? or to keep as role players off bench hopefully. We should at least be able to watch us play next year if healthy which is a credit to Rosas no matter how you look at that trade in the end imo. However there is work to be done on getting one more solid piece at least along with maybe a role player or two via fa to replace what we lose in trade.
    You can't properly grade the trade without understanding the context behind what Wiggins was doing to the fanbase.
    Wiggins was the same player last year. He will never be worth 1/4 of his salary, so no idea how anyone thinks getting a below average NBA player making max money is a steal, but I do understand the perception that GS won the trade due to the pick being factored in. Dlo is far from good, but at least more watchable, and we have to hope he stays healthy, for sure.

Wiggins had to go. Rosas knew it.

You can't properly grade the trade without understanding the context behind what Wiggins was doing to the fanbase.
    Wiggins was the same player last year. He will never be worth 1/4 of his salary, so no idea how anyone thinks getting a below average NBA player making max money is a steal, but I do understand the perception that GS won the trade due to the pick being factored in. Dlo is far from good, but at least more watchable, and we have to hope he stays healthy, for sure.

Wiggins had to go. Rosas knew it.
    I disagree on judging the trade depending on the fanbase though, my point wasn't that I agree just showing MN fan views are different than outside ones right now (to me the real answer is more in the middle of our fans and general perception of trade outside atm). The value of Wiggins to the general fan outside MN is much higher than what a lot of the lower type view from just MN fans previously for example due to his recent season. There are a lot of different articles or shows talking about the Warriors "fleecing" us and many fans seem to run with that is part of what I was noting. I don't think it makes it true just because that's what other fans think either btw I was just noting it's out there as a common view compared to what a lot of our fans think.

I get Wiggins was going to have to go and agree with the idea, I am not sure the same wasn't true of Russell in the Bay Area though either is the other side of that. Neither team wanted to keep the guy they had and both players fit the other team much better.

To me adding a 7th overall pick is a bit much but not a fleecing either really (especially if Russell is healthy and plays like people hope/expect). Pick 4 would have been the worse scenario giving up one of those top rated guys. In fact, to me the value of the trade is still up in the air depending on what Russell is able to show with Towns when healthy as I was getting at.
    Last edited by mngopher35; 06-25-2021 at 11:29 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast