Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 43 of 75 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Dion Sanders is a football Hall of Famer, but also pretty great for a decade in MLB. Bo Jackson had a longer career in baseball than football.
    I wouldn't call Deion Sander's MLB career great.

Bo was a once in a lifetime athlete. Not to say Deion wasn't a great athlete but Bo could have great careers in both sports if it wasn't for the hip injury. Deion was great in football, average in MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Like you said Sanders was a HOF football player, but an average player in the majors at best.

Bo Jackson had an injury that stop his career as football player. He also mostly did baseball and would play only about 10 football games. I believe if he would of been a full time running back he would of been a better player than he was. He was a decent baseball player.

And then you have guys like Tebow who was a better football player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well for arguments sake Tebow really wasn't a very good NFL player, decent at his best. He couldn't even latch on as a back up after a few years in the league. Then he comes over to baseball, having not played in like 10+ years and he hasn't embarrassed himself. hitting like .220 with 8 homers and 52 RBIs in his first season in a decade isn't bad. So I still don't really think saying one sport is "harder" then the other is valid. It just depends on your skill set, but that's just my opinion. There are MLB players that could probably be pretty good in the NFL and there are NFL players that could probably be good in the MLB. The thing is we would never be able to accurately find a case study that would work because these athletes spend all their time practicing and honing their skills for one sport, so for them to just jump into another sport having not dedicated their time to honing that craft it's going to be pretty damn hard to excel.
    Just a Met's fan surrounded by Phillies fan's standing strong behind enemy lines

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post

Bo was a once in a lifetime athlete. Not to say Deion wasn't a great athlete but Bo could have great careers in both sports if it wasn't for the hip injury. Deion was great in football, average in MLB.
    I have a Bo Jackson life size cut out in my basement.....What a freak of nature. Might be the saddest story of any athlete in the history of sports. If he never got injured he would have really ended up with some special, special moments.
    Just a Met's fan surrounded by Phillies fan's standing strong behind enemy lines

Deion was pretty great. Average bat but great speed on the bases and in the field. Anyway, the point is that to say dual-sport guys always fair better at football is just wrong. There have only been a handful to do it, and it goes either way. Bo was a better baseball player. Deion was a better football player. But neither of them sucked at one or the other.

Anyway, the skillsets are completely different, which is why there are so few who can do both. And baseball, most of all, requires a tremendous time dedication that football doesn't. You have practice and film in football, but not so much reliance on repetitions like in baseball. It really is use it or lose it. Judging them against each other is kinda crazy.

And let's be real about Tebow: he was an all-timer in college, and doing damn well in the minors considering how he hasn't played in ten years. Give him some time, let's see where he ends up. Remember, he flunked out of the NFL. He might wind up being a more successful professional baseball player.

Deion was pretty great. Average bat but great speed on the bases and in the field. Anyway, the point is that to say dual-sport guys always fair better at football is just wrong. There have only been a handful to do it, and it goes either way. Bo was a better baseball player. Deion was a better football player. But neither of them sucked at one or the other.

Anyway, the skillsets are completely different, which is why there are so few who can do both. And baseball, most of all, requires a tremendous time dedication that football doesn't. You have practice and film in football, but not so much reliance on repetitions like in baseball. It really is use it or lose it. Judging them against each other is kinda crazy.

And let's be real about Tebow: he was an all-timer in college, and doing damn well in the minors considering how he hasn't played in ten years. Give him some time, let's see where he ends up. Remember, he flunked out of the NFL. He might wind up being a more successful professional baseball player.
    I still wouldn't call Deion's career as a MLB player "great". The fact that he could play both sports professionally and be respectable at one and great at the other is pretty unique but he wasn't a great baseball player. Bo averaged 5.4 yards a carry during his career too. Had he been the number 1 back, which is hard to do when your teammate is Marcus Allen, who knows how great he would have been? You also have to factor in that he didn't start playing in the NFL till he was 25 years old.

I'm not even comparing the skill sets to be honest. They are distinctly different but baseball is about individual match ups and talent, not a team sport. A baseball player's production isn't based on the scheme he is in or the quality of the teammates around him.

And I'm not sure how great Tebow is. There are a lot of great athletes who play multiple sports into high school and college. Some guys who are drafted as football and baseball players (Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Jameis Winston, Eric Decker, etc come to mind). I'm sure there are a decent amount of professional athletes who have experience in both sports who can do what Tebow has done in terms of being a mediocre hitter at the minor league level.

Tebow is not unique in that respect. That said, there are a lot of former and current NFL players that arent the celebrity Tebow is. His mass exposure is what separates him.
    Last edited by metswon69; 03-13-2018 at 02:02 AM.

He’s “doing damned well” because you set the bar so “damned” low for him. I admit he played considerably better last year than I predicted. Still, a .223 batting average with 8 Home runs and a 650 OPS for a weak fielding, weak-armed outfielder playing against kids 10 years younger is really bad.

He appeared in 35 NFL games over three seasons and even QB’d his team to a playoff win once. The thought that he might even come close to that level of success in the Major Leagues is absolutely preposterous. His play so far in a major league ST camp bears that out.

At best he gets a September call up and is subsequently released although even that is far fetched. No way does he stay on a ML roster for more than a month let alone star in a playoff game.

As bad as his professional football career was, he looked like a Hall of Famer compared to his Baseball career, Gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by ImTheKing30 View Post
    Well for arguments sake Tebow really wasn't a very good NFL player, decent at his best. He couldn't even latch on as a back up after a few years in the league. Then he comes over to baseball, having not played in like 10+ years and he hasn't embarrassed himself. hitting like .220 with 8 homers and 52 RBIs in his first season in a decade isn't bad. So I still don't really think saying one sport is "harder" then the other is valid. It just depends on your skill set, but that's just my opinion. There are MLB players that could probably be pretty good in the NFL and there are NFL players that could probably be good in the MLB. The thing is we would never be able to accurately find a case study that would work because these athletes spend all their time practicing and honing their skills for one sport, so for them to just jump into another sport having not dedicated their time to honing that craft it's going to be pretty damn hard to excel.
    Tebow at l set was a useful nfl qb and a great college qb, in baseball he would of just been cut if it was not for his name.

I just think if you put a great athlete and had him play both games his athletic ability would allow him to succeed more in football than in baseball. In baseball the hand and eye coordination needed to be able to hit well is just so damn hard.

I still wouldn't call Deion's career as a MLB player "great". The fact that he could play both sports professionally and be respectable at one and great at the other is pretty unique but he wasn't a great baseball player. Bo averaged 5.4 yards a carry during his career too. Had he been the number 1 back, which is hard to do when your teammate is Marcus Allen, who knows how great he would have been? You also have to factor in that he didn't start playing in the NFL till he was 25 years old.

I'm not even comparing the skill sets to be honest. They are distinctly different but baseball is about individual match ups and talent, not a team sport. A baseball player's production isn't based on the scheme he is in or the quality of the teammates around him.

And I'm not sure how great Tebow is. There are a lot of great athletes who play multiple sports into high school and college. Some guys who are drafted as football and baseball players (Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Jameis Winston, Eric Decker, etc come to mind). I'm sure there are a decent amount of professional athletes who have experience in both sports who can do what Tebow has done in terms of being a mediocre hitter at the minor league level.

Tebow is not unique in that respect. That said, there are a lot of former and current NFL players that arent the celebrity Tebow is. His mass exposure is what separates him.
    Such nonsense. Guys playing multiple college sports is not the same thing as playing two professional sports. Tebow won a playoff game in the NFL, which is more than can be said for some high-profile free agent QBs on the market right now.

And yes, Tebow is a mediocre hitter. But he's doing that after having not picked up a baseball bat for ten years. Despite your attempts to pretend it isn't, that's incredibly impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    He’s “doing damned well” because you set the bar so “damned” low for him. I admit he played considerably better last year than I predicted. Still, a .223 batting average with 8 Home runs and a 650 OPS for a weak fielding, weak-armed outfielder playing against kids 10 years younger is really bad.

He appeared in 35 NFL games over three seasons and even QB’d his team to a playoff win once. The thought that he might even come close to that level of success in the Major Leagues is absolutely preposterous. His play so far in a major league ST camp bears that out.

At best he gets a September call up and is subsequently released although even that is far fetched. No way does he stay on a ML roster for more than a month let alone star in a playoff game.

As bad as his professional football career was, he looked like a Hall of Famer compared to his Baseball career, Gamer.
    You aren't even remotely objective on this, for whatever reason, so I don't know why I bother, but the reason the bar is so low for the guy is because he hasn't played baseball in ten years. And in spite of that, he outperformed expectations. That's impressive.

The thing I'll always thank Tebow for, at least, is that he showed us what your predictions are worth.

You aren't even remotely objective on this, for whatever reason, so I don't know why I bother, but the reason the bar is so low for the guy is because he hasn't played baseball in ten years. And in spite of that, he outperformed expectations. That's impressive.

The thing I'll always thank Tebow for, at least, is that he showed us what your predictions are worth.
    Says the man who thinks Tebow could be a better at professional baseball than football.

Says the man who thinks Tebow could be a better at professional baseball than football.
    He could be. It's within the scope of all possible outcomes even if it is doubtful.

No is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    He could be. It's within the scope of all possible outcomes even if it is doubtful.
    Ha! I love how you use language.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Ha! I love how you use language.
    Which is why I understand Alderson perfectly while others grumble he is vague.

Such nonsense. Guys playing multiple college sports is not the same thing as playing two professional sports. Tebow won a playoff game in the NFL, which is more than can be said for some high-profile free agent QBs on the market right now.

And yes, Tebow is a mediocre hitter. But he's doing that after having not picked up a baseball bat for ten years. Despite your attempts to pretend it isn't, that's incredibly impressive.
    He's only playing two professional sports because of his celebrity, not on merit or actual ability. I don't see any reason why many of these multi sport athletes in high school and college who are professional athletes today couldn't play pro baseball at the minor league level. Again you have guys like Russell Wilson hitting home runs in batting practice for the Yankees.

It's not nonsense just because you disagree with it.

Who cares about Tebow winning a playoff game btw? He played in a spread offense that was built around his skillset. No way he could have run a pro style offense and succeeded long term.

I'm not saying it isn't impressive. I'm saying he's been given an opportunity because of who he is and that there are other guys who could do what he has done.

Page 43 of 75 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast