Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: If you had to choose one player to keep who would you choose and why?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Teoscar Hernandez

5 100.00%
  • Randal Grichuk

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Teoscar or Grichuk?

Both are free agents come 2024 and as of right now they're both still a work in progress. If this team is going to compete next year then there isn't enough room for both of them in the OF. One of them? I'm okay with that. If I had to choose one it would be Teoscar.

The market for OF is weak this coming off-season but this is a question we may still have to face sooner or later. Grich has a massive advantage defensively but Teoscar has shown some signs of improvement there. Offensively they're both very streaky but Teoscar gets the edge there just because of his annual rampage. Grich gets hot too but when Teoscar gets hot he becomes a power house. He had a hot start back in 2018 as well so hopefully this is a sign of him just being a fast starter.

Salary wise Teoscar wins considering he hasn't even hit arb yet.

I feel like Grich is a right handed Colby Rasmus just with a better attitude. Teoscar's bat is exciting and deserves a shot to develop some consistency. He's only played in 334 games so far with 1225 PAs and has had multiple outbursts where he's been a lethal bat.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

I go with Teoscar too. I feel like there is still a little bit of potential to unlock where as Grich is what he is. I think they’re pretty even with one giving you a little better d (Grich). Since neither of them are going to be long term solutions at CF you take the guy with the higher offensive upside.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    I go with Teoscar too. I feel like there is still a little bit of potential to unlock where as Grich is what he is. I think they’re pretty even with one giving you a little better d (Grich). Since neither of them are going to be long term solutions at CF you take the guy with the higher offensive upside.

Agreed. Dealing Grichuk might be difficult though. Besides being a really nice guy he's still owed 10 mil a year. If we pair Grichuk and a mid level prospect then we might be able to get a decent veteran bullpen piece. Something this team could really use.

Teoscar has shown some signs. EE showed signs, once we removed him from 3b, his bat exploded. I think T's bat would be better as full time DH. He is a liability in the field.

Grichuk probably make a great 4th outfielder.

I voted for Teoscar.

If Teoscar or Grichuk were to break out like EE it most likely will be Teoscar because he has shown some decent BB/K in the lower levels, but there isn't much indication it's going to happen. You saw the breakout potential in EE, I just didn't expect his BB rate to surge as high at it did - the contact was there with EE not so much with Teoscar. I wouldn't even want Grichuk as a 4th OF unless he would be willing to play DH/1B/OF and be used more as a utility player.

The reality is if/when this team is a championship caliber club it should be neither based on what they've shown. Look at the OBP of this club and compare it to the Nats. Compare the RISP avg as well. This team needs a bats like Trumbo (not at his age LOL), Cruz, Martinez plus a maybe a solid contact hitter like Markakis or Castellanos to help the likes of the young guys. Teoscar and Grichuk in the lineup probably won't help the likes of Vlad, Biggio, Bichette, and co. Neither help improve the OBP and both have problems making contact with the ball - those numbers need to improve with the Jays and they'll improve by removing both of these guys. Jays don't need streaky players they need solid consistent hitters.

Can I pick neither?

Teoscar would be good at DH and has a good contract, but that might become Vladdy's spot in a couple of years, that and we also have Rowdy (can't have all three on the team if we are to be contenders unless Vladdy changes his body type). Randall is going to be hard to trade unless he uses this year and next to justify being worth 10 mil per year or unless we swap him for another such contract. The big problem is FA, you have to tend to overpay to get someone and they tend to be with a couple years left at their peak or about to drop off substantially.

Guys, Grichuk has made some changes. I mean yeah, he's hitting tons of singles but he's actually laying off bad pitches more so than he used to. 320/393/460 on the year so far. Could this be the new short swinging less powerful Randal Grichuk?

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Guys, Grichuk has made some changes. I mean yeah, he's hitting tons of singles but he's actually laying off bad pitches more so than he used to. 320/393/460 on the year so far. Could this be the new short swinging less powerful Randal Grichuk?
    He's striking out less, he's swinging at balls out of the zone less, his swinging strike rate is down. All good signs right. But his launch angle is ****ed now. If he can regain that plus keep the good changes, he could be dangerous. But we've seen him have great stretches before.

His swinging out of the strike zone numbers look better but lets wait and see. I have my doubts but only because improving plate discipline is a very difficult thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    His swinging out of the strike zone numbers look better but lets wait and see. I have my doubts but only because improving plate discipline is a very difficult thing to do.
    Maybe he's finally adjusted? He's always had hard exit velocity but just had a knack for whiffing on pitches. He was about 10 feet foul from another HR in the make up game yesterday too.

Certainly looks like great signing.

Wow, the difference a month or so makes. This is actually a hard question now.

Wow, the difference a month or so makes. This is actually a hard question now.
    taking the bat and contract into account, Teoscar Wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    taking the bat and contract into account, Teoscar Wins.
    Contract yes but for this past month Grich has been our best and by far most consistent hitter.

How could you lose either right now?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast