Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 278 of 290 FirstFirst ... 178228268276277278279280288 ... LastLast
Results 4,156 to 4,170 of 4350
    Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    Made some killer caprese this afternoon. Fun fact, zero point to it.
    No pic? I usually have that with homegrown tomatoes and homegrown basil a few times per week this time of year.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    No pic? I usually have that with homegrown tomatoes and homegrown basil a few times per week this time of year.
    Nope, never think of it in the moment. Used blue cream cherry, and atomic grape tomatoes with lime basil off of our farm. My wife had some fancy spanish cheese too, but I'm too big a hillbilly to have paid that close of attention.

Nope, never think of it in the moment. Used blue cream cherry, and atomic grape tomatoes with lime basil off of our farm. My wife had some fancy spanish cheese too, but I'm too big a hillbilly to have paid that close of attention.
    Sounds heady. Good homegrown tomatoes I could easily eat just sliced and with a tiny bit of fresh ground pepper/salt too.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Sounds heady. Good homegrown tomatoes I could easily eat just sliced and with a tiny bit of fresh ground pepper/salt too.
    Those blue cream are sweet like berries, I highly recommend if you grow your own tomatoes. One of the best varieties I've ever had and I grow 15-20 varieties a year. Also very prolific.

Those blue cream are sweet like berries, I highly recommend if you grow your own tomatoes. One of the best varieties I've ever had and I grow 15-20 varieties a year. Also very prolific.
    Hell yeah.

send seed!

I love trying new varieties, new veggies period (growing brussel sprouts for the first time this year)
    I only have 4 varieties of maters this year and 1 is just a basic cherry....only so many plants available locally so I order seed from elsewhere and start them in March. But I haven't normally ordered cherry tomator seed because I usually only grow a couple plants......but since I regularly save seed from fruit this year to start next year, I should order cherry, too.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Do any of you guys garden in planter beds? My new home is in a HOA and has a steep slope in the rear, but I want to put in some beds for herbs and vertical growth like tomatoes and know little about planting successfully in them.

Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    Do any of you guys garden in planter beds? My new home is in a HOA and has a steep slope in the rear, but I want to put in some beds for herbs and vertical growth like tomatoes and know little about planting successfully in them.
    Raised beds are great, especially if you are just growing for yourself. Get yourself some good soil, amend it with some sand and compost, line the top of the bed with some 5.2 ounce landscape fabric(looks like silt fence). No fuss, no muss, sit back and wait until your veggies come in.

When you're talking raised beds, are you talking about an actual wooden structure?
    Is so herbs, no problem....but you'd need more depth for tomatoes...I mean like 18"+ IMO

But...my garden is generally too big to do much with raised beds, but FAR easier on the back, etc, if you do since you bring it up to your standing level instead of having to get down on your knees.

But if you've got a steep slope, perhaps you'd have the opportunity to take a terraced, stairstep kind of approach down the slope...unless it's too steep to be comfortable.

...depends on how much you're looking to plant, tho....I've had big gardens, this year's is around 1500 sq ft (for 2 households) and has about everything you can think of it in it including 16 tomato and near 40 pepper plants, along with corn, potatoes, and melons
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    When you're talking raised beds, are you talking about an actual wooden structure?
    Is so herbs, no problem....but you'd need more depth for tomatoes...I mean like 18"+ IMO

But...my garden is generally too big to do much with raised beds, but FAR easier on the back, etc, if you do since you bring it up to your standing level instead of having to get down on your knees.

But if you've got a steep slope, perhaps you'd have the opportunity to take a terraced, stairstep kind of approach down the slope...unless it's too steep to be comfortable.

...depends on how much you're looking to plant, tho....I've had big gardens, this year's is around 1500 sq ft (for 2 households) and has about everything you can think of it in it including 16 tomato and near 40 pepper plants, along with corn, potatoes, and melons
    I've gone to doing all radishes, greens, carrots(everything that sucks to weed) in 55 gallon food safe plastic barrels. A country cousin owns a cheese factory up the road, so we get them for nothing. They dont look fancy, but we just line them up in hoop houses anyway. We have about 3500sq. ft. of hoop houses(800sq.ft. that we heat with wood feb-mar), and a few acres of garden. We focus on tomatoes, peppers, and popcorn, but grow a little of everything. We are a market farm.

And yes, those tomatoes need more depth. My sister in law does them in short raised beds, but doesnt have any barrier between her bed and the native soil so they can go as deep as they like.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
    This week is the 75th anniversary of the nuclear bombing of Japan. Couldn't Truman just blitzkrieg (drop a bunch of regular bombs) those cities like the Germans did to London and still get a surrender? Then nobody would have died later from radiation poisoning. Somebody probably has a good answer to my question, but I was just wondering.
    I think itís one of those things that we did because we could do it. It certainly sent a strong message to Germany about how far we were willing to go if they attempted to bring the war to our soil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    I think itís one of those things that we did because we could do it. It certainly sent a strong message to Germany about how far we were willing to go if they attempted to bring the war to our soil.

I don't think they had an understanding of how bad it would be after. And if you read about the fire bombing of dresden, it was not much better. People were literally melted into the street.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    I don't think they had an understanding of how bad it would be after. And if you read about the fire bombing of dresden, it was not much better. People were literally melted into the street.
    Dresden was an atrocity. Vonnegut often refers to it in his works and always gives me chills.

This is a rare dope mash-up (Led Zeppelin & James Brown):

https://youtu.be/fd0b42chX5A

This is a rare dope mash-up (Led Zeppelin & James Brown):

https://youtu.be/fd0b42chX5A
    Thatís pretty cool. Went a bit overboard on the Page sampling lol. Need to mix that up but love the way that mashes.