Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 241 of 272 FirstFirst ... 141191231239240241242243251 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,615 of 4069
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Want to broaden the kid who listens to musicals... pull out ben folds... He's like the broadway version of a punk band.

For the punk one... Try the replacements. It's punk that might lead into a broader set of music. They have a bunch of outside influences, later stuff (Can't hardly Wait... love that song) pulls some interesting instrumentation into it.
    Ben Folds is a good pull. Haven't tried him in a while. I'm also going to try Tommy as an in for The Who and that whole group.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    The kids love Conway Twitty
    Pretty sure that's going to be a tough sell at the moment. My daughter's best friend just got a Banjo so there is some influence going that way.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    I guess it depends on which musicals sheís into. I grew up outside NYC and went often so it started growing on me. I love Rent, Phantom and Les Mis, but there are some truly terrible ones (Cats or say the Broadway version of Footloose that my HS girlfriend dragged me to. Ugh).

In that case you can find a middle ground.

The Whoís Tommy had a broadway show you can probably look up and check out. Then make the jump to the original movie or album and then to other Who stuff, then Zeppelin, etc.

There was a Billy Joel one too (donít tell Ewing). Or Rock of Ages. Never saw that one but seems like a good balance.

Maybe try the movie Pink Floyd The Wall. Sometimes the visual story helps for people into musicals.
    I struggle with Pink Floyd mostly because I know what *******s those guys were/are.

I'm going to take a look at Rock of Ages after we consume Phantom and Les Mis together, and just keep working on her.

I found out that the Broadway daughter often puts headphones in in the car so she misses out a lot of the other music I've been playing. She's always been fairly quiet so I don't necessarily notice she's not listening, and the other kid is so loud there isn't much room for her to talk anyhow

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense concert film is a must see and could convert someone in to a fan better than just listening to one of their songs.
    I'll try that too. She likes the show Gilmore Girls and I saw a scene the other day with her where some of the characters were watching it so that's an in with her.

And if she likes Talking Heads then everything opens up.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Want to broaden the kid who listens to musicals... pull out ben folds... He's like the broadway version of a punk band.

For the punk one... Try the replacements. It's punk that might lead into a broader set of music. They have a bunch of outside influences, later stuff (Can't hardly Wait... love that song) pulls some interesting instrumentation into it.
    Or the spongebob soundtrack if they are little.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I'll try that too. She likes the show Gilmore Girls and I saw a scene the other day with her where some of the characters were watching it so that's an in with her.

And if she likes Talking Heads then everything opens up.
    You have a noble yet futile task ahead of you. Lol

We tried for a long time to steer our kids to good music, but ultimately they will like what they like. What they did get is a solid base of influences to draw from, and a lot if lessons in history and culture that come up(which is great). While my oldest plays occasionally in a bluegrass outfit, my son is really the only one that's really into music and making music.

I struggle with Pink Floyd mostly because I know what *******s those guys were/are.

I'm going to take a look at Rock of Ages after we consume Phantom and Les Mis together, and just keep working on her.

I found out that the Broadway daughter often puts headphones in in the car so she misses out a lot of the other music I've been playing. She's always been fairly quiet so I don't necessarily notice she's not listening, and the other kid is so loud there isn't much room for her to talk anyhow
    While the full les mis play is great (the movie is awful, do not watch. Just donít), musically the best version is the 10th anniversary performance. They basically stand in place to sing and not much acting, but itís a collection of all the best people that played the characters. I saw it on broadway in the 90s with that same Jean Valjean and heís incredible.

Believe me I get hating musicals. 60% of them I canít stand, but the good ones are really good. If you just take it on a merit of pure talent and listen to this: https://youtu.be/k0SWaGfkPxA

Then you/they are missing out (though I don't think showing The Wall movie to your kids was the best idea in the first place). Either way about it, seems as though it was really only Waters that was much of an a-hole. Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and Animals are one of the best three album runs in rock history.

Then you/they are missing out (though I don't think showing The Wall movie to your kids was the best idea in the first place). Either way about it, seems as though it was really only Waters that was much of an a-hole. Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and Animals are one of the best three album runs in rock history.
    Yup. Even Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Division Bell weíre pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meddle would be the first I'd mention after that three album run. Very underrated Floyd album. I def have all of their stuff and can appreciate parts of any of their releases. On The Turning Away is probably my favorite post-The Wall Floyd track (most of that era is pretty forgettable though).

Agreed. I canít imagine liking Rock and not listening to Pink Floyd.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Agreed. I canít imagine liking Rock and not listening to Pink Floyd.
    Yeah, they are one of my absolute favorites up there with Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, and Smashing Pumpkins.

Love all those. Sabbath is so damn good. I got to see the reunion tour and itís amazing how good they still sounded. Canít imagine what it was like when Bill ward was around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    You have a noble yet futile task ahead of you. Lol

We tried for a long time to steer our kids to good music, but ultimately they will like what they like. What they did get is a solid base of influences to draw from, and a lot if lessons in history and culture that come up(which is great). While my oldest plays occasionally in a bluegrass outfit, my son is really the only one that's really into music and making music.
    My older daughter actually wants to be a music teacher. She's the easier sell on music. Still I occasionally break out Pere Ubu Sentimental Journey if I want to mess with her. There is only so far she can go.

Other good choices to drive teen's away with music:
    Captain Beefheart
    The Shaggs
    Most Opera
    Most Free Jazz

They were all pretty arrogant, it's just that they look better in comparison with Waters

And while the music is good it's just not good enough for me to get past what I learned about them. Like the Eagles ... apparently only Joe Walsh was a good guy.