Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 487 of 574 FirstFirst ... 387437477485486487488489497537 ... LastLast
Results 7,291 to 7,305 of 8599
    Had Bonds retired in 2000, rather than changing his training regimen, he would have been elected to the Hall in 2005. He may have gotten 95% of the vote.
    He was one of the best players I ever saw play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Had Bonds retired in 2000, rather than changing his training regimen, he would have been elected to the Hall in 2005. He may have gotten 95% of the vote.
    If you're going to let David Ortiz in, you don't get to be selective with other guys just for the sake of doing so. We know why Ortiz was put in while guys like Bonds, Clemens, etc are left out.

If David Ortiz didn't change his training regime, he would have....oh wait.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    If you're going to let David Ortiz in, you don't get to be selective with other guys just for the sake of doing so. We know why Ortiz was put in while guys like Bonds, Clemens, etc are left out.
    I agree whole-heartedly.

Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    If Pete Rose wanted to be in the HoF, he shouldn't have agreed to be banned from it.
    You're such a liberal.

I have no problem with Bonds or Clemens being left out. Even if you put the steroids aside, they're both just awful ****ing people.

"I was disagreeing with a friend about politics last night. I got so annoyed that I bear-sprayed him and beat him with a flagpole. I was surprised when he objected since we were obviously engaging in legitimate political discourse." - @SarahLongwell25

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    You're such a liberal.
    I'm not really sure what me being a liberal has to do with Pete Rose agreeing to be banned from baseball, and thus ineligible for the HoF, but okay chief.

"I was disagreeing with a friend about politics last night. I got so annoyed that I bear-sprayed him and beat him with a flagpole. I was surprised when he objected since we were obviously engaging in legitimate political discourse." - @SarahLongwell25

I'm not really sure what me being a liberal has to do with Pete Rose agreeing to be banned from baseball, and thus ineligible for the HoF, but okay chief.
    Pretty certain you can figure it out if you try.

I have no problem with Bonds or Clemens being left out. Even if you put the steroids aside, they're both just awful ****ing people.
    So was Ty Cobb and he's in. There's a number of not so great dudes in the MLB HOF. The problem is the baseball writer's inconsistency in that respect. You can be an ******* who breaks the rules but as long you have the resume and the writers like you, you're in. If they don't like you, your chances are non existent.

I know Rose has had a number of chances and screwed them up but his play on the field merits him being in just like Bonds and Clemens.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    Pretty certain you can figure it out if you try.
    I'd have to care enough about whatever is happening in that wet hairball where your brain should be to try.

Alas, I do not.

I'd have to care enough about whatever is happening in that wet hairball where your brain should be to try.

Alas, I do not.
    Okay

So was Ty Cobb and he's in. There's a number of not so great dudes in the MLB HOF. The problem is the baseball writer's inconsistency in that respect. You can be an ******* who breaks the rules but as long you have the resume and the writers like you, you're in. If they don't like you, your chances are non existent.

I know Rose has had a number of chances and screwed them up but his play on the field merits him being in just like Bonds and Clemens.
    Almost all of the stuff about Ty Cobb came from Al Stump, who not only invented most of it to sell books, but SABR found he also forged a bunch of Cobb memorabilia on top of it. Ty Cobb has kind of become the poster boy for "awful people should still be in the HoF," and it's really unfortunate.

But even all of that aside, Clemens groomed a 15 year old, and Bonds not only beat his pregnant wife, but threatened to behead a girlfriend too. If either of them played today, they'd be sitting at home like Trevor Bauer instead of adding to their stats.

And Rose agreed to be banned. Don't agree to a ban from something if you don't want to be banned from it.

Almost all of the stuff about Ty Cobb came from Al Stump, who not only invented most of it to sell books, but SABR found he also forged a bunch of Cobb memorabilia on top of it. Ty Cobb has kind of become the poster boy for "awful people should still be in the HoF," and it's really unfortunate.

But even all of that aside, Clemens groomed a 15 year old, and Bonds not only beat his pregnant wife, but threatened to behead a girlfriend too. If either of them played today, they'd be sitting at home like Trevor Bauer instead of adding to their stats.

And Rose agreed to be banned. Don't agree to a ban from something if you don't want to be banned from it.
    I'm just saying there are some bad dudes in the MLB HOF. Whether those stories about Ty Cobb are true or not, he's not the only one. What about Juan Marichal? The same Juan Marichal who tried to kill Johnny Roseboro with a bat. Then there are stories about Rogers Hornsby being a Klan member.

Cap Anson was an unapologetic racist who was one of the stalwarts in the early segregation of the league. Orlando Cepeda did 10 months in prison so on and so forth.

So lift the ban. The dude is 79 years old. He's not going to manage or become part of a front office. Give him a plaque and let him die in peace.

I'm just saying there are some bad dudes in the MLB HOF. Whether those stories about Ty Cobb are true or not, he's not the only one. What about Juan Marichal? The same Juan Marichal who tried to kill Johnny Roseboro with a bat. Then there are stories about Rogers Hornsby being a Klan member.

Cap Anson was an unapologetic racist who was one of the stalwarts in the early segregation of the league. Orlando Cepeda did 10 months in prison so on and so forth.

So lift the ban. The dude is 79 years old. He's not going to manage or become part of a front office. Give him a plaque and let him die in peace.
    None of these mean we have to overlook everything for the rest of time, though. There's a reason the MVP is no longer called the Kenesaw Mountain Landis Award. There's a reason the ROY is called the Jackie Robinson Award. Baseball doesn't have to be bound by past mistakes.

Rose agreed to the ban to stop the investigation. Had the investigation continued and proof was found that he bet on games he played in, which is all but certain, then the result would've been a lifetime ban from baseball. Either way, he killed his chances at the HoF on his own. There's a reason the rule is posted in every Major League clubhouse.

....and now we get bombarded with Draft Kings commercials when we watch MLB on the boob tube.