Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: 2017 Pirates

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,542

    2017 Pirates

    As I said in another thread I have banned myself from following this year's Pirates teams for the next week. However I'm still going to take a look ahead at next year's potential squad.

    C: Francisco Cervelli
    1B: Josh Bell
    2B: Josh Harrison
    3B: Jung-Ho Kang
    SS: Jordy Mercer
    LF: Starling Marte
    CF: Andrew McCutchen
    RF: Gregory Polanco

    That's a good solid starting 8. Hopefully Cervelli proves himself healthy and the Pirates go ahead and just let Bell play first base this season. Also some signs of life from Cutch and Kang would be nice.

    Bench: Chris Stewart, Jason Rogers, John Jaso, Adam Frazier, Alen Hanson

    This group is in a state of flux as I could see the Pirates opting to go with Fryer over Stewart, removing Rogers from the roster and trading Jaso and/or Hanson. The current group looks semi-interesting though but its a bench so some shaking up of it is to be expected.

    Rotation: Gerrit Cole, Jameson Taillion, Drew Hutchison, Tyler Glasnow, Chad Kuhl, Steve Brault

    Before the Liriano trade I figured the Pirates would probably try to add a back of the rotation arm which would let them have Glasnow/Brault/Kuhl all compete for the final rotation spot. Now I am concerned they are going to try to put two of them in the rotation. hat this group really needs is a replacement for Liriano but even if I felt confident the Pirates would spend to fill it free agency offers few options

    Bullpen: Tony Watson, Felipe Rivero, Antonio Bastardo, Jeff Locke, Jared Hughes, Juan Nicasio, Arquimedes Caminero, AJ Schugel

    There is potential in there for a solid bullpen. What the group really lacks is a good right handed set up man and that is one thing I have a decent amount of confidence the Pirates will be able to bring in (or retain in the case of Feliz) this off season. Watson, Rivero, and insert RH set up man here have the making of a solid back 3 and I think Nicasio and Bastardo can be a nice middle part of the pen. Caminero is a wild card who can add a lot of high upside to the bullpen and whether its Locke, Schugel or someone else I think a long reliever shouldn't be too hard to find.

    If the Pirates can find some way to add a good quality 2/3 starting pitcher for next season the team certainly has the look of one that can be great. Despite everything the future still looks fairly bright and I'm going to take some solace in that.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    south central illinios
    Posts
    1,732
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    As I said in another thread I have banned myself from following this year's Pirates teams for the next week. However I'm still going to take a look ahead at next year's potential squad.

    C: Francisco Cervelli
    1B: Josh Bell
    2B: Josh Harrison
    3B: Jung-Ho Kang
    SS: Jordy Mercer
    LF: Starling Marte
    CF: Andrew McCutchen
    RF: Gregory Polanco

    That's a good solid starting 8. Hopefully Cervelli proves himself healthy and the Pirates go ahead and just let Bell play first base this season. Also some signs of life from Cutch and Kang would be nice.

    Bench: Chris Stewart, Jason Rogers, John Jaso, Adam Frazier, Alen Hanson

    This group is in a state of flux as I could see the Pirates opting to go with Fryer over Stewart, removing Rogers from the roster and trading Jaso and/or Hanson. The current group looks semi-interesting though but its a bench so some shaking up of it is to be expected.

    Rotation: Gerrit Cole, Jameson Taillion, Drew Hutchison, Tyler Glasnow, Chad Kuhl, Steve Brault

    Before the Liriano trade I figured the Pirates would probably try to add a back of the rotation arm which would let them have Glasnow/Brault/Kuhl all compete for the final rotation spot. Now I am concerned they are going to try to put two of them in the rotation. hat this group really needs is a replacement for Liriano but even if I felt confident the Pirates would spend to fill it free agency offers few options

    Bullpen: Tony Watson, Felipe Rivero, Antonio Bastardo, Jeff Locke, Jared Hughes, Juan Nicasio, Arquimedes Caminero, AJ Schugel

    There is potential in there for a solid bullpen. What the group really lacks is a good right handed set up man and that is one thing I have a decent amount of confidence the Pirates will be able to bring in (or retain in the case of Feliz) this off season. Watson, Rivero, and insert RH set up man here have the making of a solid back 3 and I think Nicasio and Bastardo can be a nice middle part of the pen. Caminero is a wild card who can add a lot of high upside to the bullpen and whether its Locke, Schugel or someone else I think a long reliever shouldn't be too hard to find.

    If the Pirates can find some way to add a good quality 2/3 starting pitcher for next season the team certainly has the look of one that can be great. Despite everything the future still looks fairly bright and I'm going to take some solace in that.
    dont forget nick kingham he is already working his way back.plus a couple other repaired pitchers that could push for a spot. everyday player wise they are stacked. for years to come.hated to see mcguires name in the trade yesterday havent been so disappointed since they traded brock holt.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    south central illinios
    Posts
    1,732
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleplayer543 View Post
    dont forget nick kingham he is already working his way back.plus a couple other repaired pitchers that could push for a spot. everyday player wise they are stacked. for years to come.hated to see mcguires name in the trade yesterday havent been so disappointed since they traded brock holt.

    i wouldent mind if rodriguez and freeze would return next year

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,542
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleplayer543 View Post
    i wouldent mind if rodriguez and freeze would return next year
    Well the Freese part of this has been granted with a 2/11 contract extension. I too wouldn't mind seeing the Pirates shop Jay-Hay and resign SRod.

    Thinking something like

    C: Cervelli
    1B: Bell
    2B: Frazier
    3B: Kang
    SS: Mercer
    LF: Marte
    CF: McCutchen
    RF: Polanco

    C: Stewart
    1B/3B: Freese
    1B/OF: Jaso
    IF: Hanson
    U: Rodriguez
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •