Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Joey Gallo: About To Be Dealt?

With Fielder and Choo being placed on the DL, it felt like a certainty that Gallo would take over at either 1B or RF. He doesn't have the lateral quickness to be a really good defensive 3B, but he does have a huge arm so you'd like to see it play in OF, or at the very least get his bat in the lineup by playing him at first.

Instead, DeShields and Alberto were called up, making it clear the Rangers prefer Profar (wordplay!) at first and DeShields in the outfield. Why is that? One belief, and the one I subscribe to, is that the Rangers secretly don't believe Gallo is a superstar. He has been great at AAA, but the problems that haunt him will be exposed to an exponential degree. He destroys fastballs, but has struggled with off speed stuff in the past, and if thats the case in the majors you will rarely see a fastball (ala Mark Reynolds). By labeling him as untradeable and letting him demolish AAA, the Rangers are building up his value for a huge deal, and don't want to risk his value reducing if he sees and struggles against major league pitching. Agree or disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by harlequin018 View Post
    With Fielder and Choo being placed on the DL, it felt like a certainty that Gallo would take over at either 1B or RF. He doesn't have the lateral quickness to be a really good defensive 3B, but he does have a huge arm so you'd like to see it play in OF, or at the very least get his bat in the lineup by playing him at first.

Instead, DeShields and Alberto were called up, making it clear the Rangers prefer Profar (wordplay!) at first and DeShields in the outfield. Why is that? One belief, and the one I subscribe to, is that the Rangers secretly don't believe Gallo is a superstar. He has been great at AAA, but the problems that haunt him will be exposed to an exponential degree. He destroys fastballs, but has struggled with off speed stuff in the past, and if thats the case in the majors you will rarely see a fastball (ala Mark Reynolds). By labeling him as untradeable and letting him demolish AAA, the Rangers are building up his value for a huge deal, and don't want to risk his value reducing if he sees and struggles against major league pitching. Agree or disagree?
    This is very possible. Perhaps they can trade him to the Yankees in a deal for McCann.

I am hearing the Rangers are making a strong push for Chris Sale, and Gallo will definitely be a name involved if the Rangers do indeed make a deal for Sale which I don't think is likely. If I am the White Sox, I don't trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    This is very possible. Perhaps they can trade him to the Yankees in a deal for McCann.
    I think any team that simply takes McCann off the Yankees hands would be doing them a favor. No significant prospect will go to New York in the doubtful event that someone decides to take on part of that contract.