Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trade Deadline Discussion

We have already seen rumors about teams asking the Pirates about Francisco Liriano, Mark Melancon, David Freese and a handful of other players but the team is currently just 3.5 games out of the second wild card spot so selling is not given at this point. This trade deadline which by the way is August 1st (not the usual July 31st) is going to be an interesting one as its just not quite clear right now which side of the buy/sell divide the Pirates will fall on. The next 2-3 weeks should provide us a bit more clarity on this subject though.

Anyway I'll post what rumors I see over the next basically month in here regardless if they relate to the Pirates buying or selling.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

Id be fine moving mark i dont wannlt to but we arent resigning him so lets get something now.

Freese i could see moving since he has been doing well and isnt a long term part of the plans.

Liriano has been up amd down but since they dont wanna bring up glasnow (control they claim) i dont see him going anywhere especially if we arent packing it in this year.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jrm2054 View Post
    Id be fine moving mark i dont wannlt to but we arent resigning him so lets get something now.

Freese i could see moving since he has been doing well and isnt a long term part of the plans.

Liriano has been up amd down but since they dont wanna bring up glasnow (control they claim) i dont see him going anywhere especially if we arent packing it in this year.

well glasnow will start tomorrow that give the buccos 5 pitchers who have made their ml debut in the last three weeks. that means liriano,niese,locke and a couple guys in the pen. had better up their game. we will see at the break but a good run over the next 5 games could reel the cubs in even more

Pirates are reportedly looking to trade Niese. The idea here is they are looking at moving forward with a younger rotation. Niese has been poor this season but I honestly don't think it would be all that hard to move him. The Pirates aren't going to get anything for him and may have to cover a part of his salary but I'm sure there is a team willing to take a look at him over the next 2-3 months and then decide if they want to exercise his modest team options.

whatever you do. Don't trade Josh Bell. As a cardinals fan I wanted him years ago in the 1st round even with rumored signing issues. Kid is gonna be a stud if not a superstar. I don't care if he rips my team 20 times a year. Now if this was the cubs id be telling you to trade him for a bad contract but it's not so....

Now if Fernandez is available in the offseason you have to move Bell. Just like my Cardinals would have to include Reyes in any package.

But for anyone else. He should be untouchable

Quick comment on the Melancon trade. I like the basic idea behind it and really like Rivero but the prospect seems a bit light to me.

Anyway we will see what today brings. I'm expecting some action including the Pirates getting a SP

I've only had access to this forum through my phone for quite a while now so since I'm finally back on I'll share a few thoughts on what I think the Pirates should do today.

I think they should deal pretty much everyone there is a young replacement for. That means dealing Jaso/Joyce and calling up Bell, dealing SRod and letting Moroff/Hanson serve as a reserve infielder, dealing some low leverage bullpen arms like Hughes and Niese.

I also think they should make a buying move for a 3/4 starter who is controlled beyond this season. I wouldn't move Glasnow, Bell or Meadows for them but I'd be open to listening on guys like Newman, Keller, McGuire, Ramirez depending on the pitcher.

This isn't a year to push your chips into the table but it isn't one to give up on. Give the young guys a shot and reinforce the team's biggest weakness all while having an eye towards next year.

Pirates are reportedly looking at Matt Moore of the Rays. He is someone I would love to see them get. Nice middle of the rotationa rm who is controlled for the next few seasons. Could really stabilize the rotation.

Only thing being talked about in regards to Pirates is TB pitching but the Pirates tend to make moves out of nowhere. Less than 1 hour remaining until the deadline but deals will come out afterwards.

Im really unimpressed with the melancon deal seems we should have got more.

Id love to add a quailty starter and as you said burgh get rid of guys like jaso and bring up bell

Yeah I'm not sure what happened today.

Getting Ivan Nova a rental SP is a bit weird.

Swapping Niese for Bastardo makes sense

Then the big Liriano for Hutchison deal is a big head scratcher.

Man that walker deal was terrible in hindsight having him this year and losing him for nothing would have been way better.

Nova is ehh the rental part is what sucks.

The Liriano trade felt like giving up on the season Hutchinson couldnt even crack the jays rotation and we gave up liriano plus for him. seems like cheap *** ownership moves again but i guess they think searage is some magical man who will make him great

To be honest there is a strong chance the Liriano trade doesn't turn out badly. Both prospects though good are quite flawed and Liriano sure looks done.

The flip side and why I don't like it is there is very little that can happen to make this trade good and there is a reasonable chance it ends up being horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    To be honest there is a strong chance the Liriano trade doesn't turn out badly. Both prospects though good are quite flawed and Liriano sure looks done.

The flip side and why I don't like it is there is very little that can happen to make this trade good and there is a reasonable chance it ends up being horrendous.
    I just feel dumping that money was pointless and just cheap it wasmt male or break money foe the team and in no way makes us better. Losing reese is the worst part imo.

The only possible explanation I can come with for the Liriano trade is that obviously they aren't viewed the same way inside the industry that they are viewed by outsiders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast