Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

For Commissioner Silver - changes to the game we want to see

I'd like:

A 4th ref so 2 stay high and 2 stay low, and each ref would have to cover less ground.

An emphasis on not bailing out offensive players who create contact with defenders.

Call players on flopping more often and suspend the player for 1 game after every 3 flops.

Eliminate the hack-a by the simple change of giving 3 FT attempts to make 2 after the 5th off-the-ball foul in a game.

Try to find ways to make the travel more equal. There is no way Cleveland will travel less than Golden State, but having road trips where a team goes southwest to northwest to southwest to southeast to northeast is just crazy. I know this is an incredibly complex thing to do but teams out west should get priorities in getting their travel minimized first.

Contact with the head is an automatic foul. Contact with the nuts should be an automatic flagrant 1 ... it's never necessary.

I don't know if it's possible, but the arm lock should be outlawed and if it's seen in review it should be assessed as a technical foul so players who do it habitually will start missing games.

Change the screen rules so they are easier to call, educate fans that moving during a screen is not illegal, hope the 4th ref makes calling illegal screens more consistent.

Emphasize getting holding calls right.

Emphasize getting traveling calls right.

I'm sure I missed a bunch ... any other suggestions or adjustments?

Eliminate the 3 pointer.

I don't like the eliminating the arm lock rule. It's basketball and it's a physical game. If it's a foul, call the foul. It's impossible to really not get tangled at times.

I'm all in favor of coming down hard on offensive players who create contact though. It's ugly basketball. You can't jump into or lean into the defender and expect to get rewarded for it.

Unfortunately, traveling will never be a call consistently called in the NBA because there would be a stop in play every 10 seconds. The fundamentals of the game have deteriorated to the point where just calling traveling 3-4 times a game would be a huge step.

To expand on your hack-a rule, if you employ the strategy at anytime prior to the 2 minute mark in the 2nd and 4th qtr respectively, the player fouled gets 2 shots and the ball back. If you foul the same player off the ball in the following possession, it's a technical foul PLUS two free throws.

I like the OP list for the most part. I'd say flopping just needs to go as non calls. That's good enough to prevent it don't reward it. To me the 4th ref has become a must.

"Eighteen Twenty-five _______"

Also the season needs to be reduced at least 20 games. That would help the game be far more entertaining.

"Eighteen Twenty-five _______"

Quote Originally Posted by KG2TB View Post
    I don't like the eliminating the arm lock rule. It's basketball and it's a physical game. If it's a foul, call the foul. It's impossible to really not get tangled at times.

I'm all in favor of coming down hard on offensive players who create contact though. It's ugly basketball. You can't jump into or lean into the defender and expect to get rewarded for it.

Unfortunately, traveling will never be a call consistently called in the NBA because there would be a stop in play every 10 seconds. The fundamentals of the game have deteriorated to the point where just calling traveling 3-4 times a game would be a huge step.

To expand on your hack-a rule, if you employ the strategy at anytime prior to the 2 minute mark in the 2nd and 4th qtr respectively, the player fouled gets 2 shots and the ball back. If you foul the same player off the ball in the following possession, it's a technical foul PLUS two free throws.
    I don't have a problem with physical, but when people are locking their arm down over another players arm to control them it's actually a foul and it should be called.

Two shots and the ball is too big a change to the game, two shots, a technical, and possession is even worse. 3 to make 2 means that the advantage of hacking really bad FT shooters is taken away because they get 3 chances to make 2 FTs (so a 50% shooter would effectively shoot 75%), but doesn't change the fundamental nature of the game, it just completely eliminates the advantage of the scheme after the 5th time it happens in the game. That 5 times includes when teams foul good FT shooters accidentally but off the ball because you can't judge intent in the flow of a game. 3 to make 2 was actually an NBA rule for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I like the OP list for the most part. I'd say flopping just needs to go as non calls. That's good enough to prevent it don't reward it. To me the 4th ref has become a must.
    I agree that flops should be non-calls, but sometimes refs make mistakes so there should be a punishment for the player too, particularly if the ref falls for it.

There is little I like more than a player flopping and the ref telling him to play on.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Also the season needs to be reduced at least 20 games. That would help the game be far more entertaining.
    That one is unfortunately not going to happen. It would be nice if the NBA could take a page from MLB and play teams more than once back to back. The downside being that people would complain about the Warriors and Spurs playing 2 or 4 times in the first month of the season. Just play all conference opponents with multiple games each time they meet. This solution would at least make the grind much more workable and not eliminate the games they want. The Warriors could play 6 road games in 7 days in Texas with a day to travel between each opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by HandsOnTheWheel View Post
    Eliminate the 3 pointer.
    How old are you? Reason I ask is because I'm 37 years old and have never seen an NBA game without the 3 point line. Ever. Unless you're past your mid 40's you haven't either. Something tells me you're not a Warriors fan.

I had a really good day yesterday.
    Last edited by hamburger; 06-11-2016 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I don't have a problem with physical, but when people are locking their arm down over another players arm to control them it's actually a foul and it should be called.

Two shots and the ball is too big a change to the game, two shots, a technical, and possession is even worse. 3 to make 2 means that the advantage of hacking really bad FT shooters is taken away because they get 3 chances to make 2 FTs (so a 50% shooter would effectively shoot 75%), but doesn't change the fundamental nature of the game, it just completely eliminates the advantage of the scheme after the 5th time it happens in the game. That 5 times includes when teams foul good FT shooters accidentally but off the ball because you can't judge intent in the flow of a game. 3 to make 2 was actually an NBA rule for a while.
    You misunderstood. The first time you hack-a whoever, they get two shots and the ball. The reason for this, is it basically would eliminate the hack-a strategy until the last 2 mins of the half or the game. Here's where you misunderstood....say you hack-a whoever, they get two shots and possession again (say they miss both shots). If you employ the strategy again the very next possession, it's a technical foul plus two shots. No possession after though.

i dont want a player suspended after 3 flops... i want them suspended after he flops the first time **** that.... Its a ******** trend that became much more eye opening from the vlad divac days till now.

Adding a ref is a fantastic idea

doing something about the warriors screens need to happen as well

doing something about the 3 pointers is ********... its part of the game we have to deal with it. Learn to defend it better.

There needs to be a draymond green ruling... if a player runs away from the ref flapping his arms and jumping up and down and screaming and yelling its a tech period.

Mo titties plz

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
    How old are you? Reason I ask is because I'm 37 years old and have never seen an NBA game without the 3 point line. Ever. Unless you're past your mid 40's you haven't either. Something tells me you're not a Warriors fan.

I had a really good day yesterday.
    It was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by KG2TB View Post
    You misunderstood. The first time you hack-a whoever, they get two shots and the ball. The reason for this, is it basically would eliminate the hack-a strategy until the last 2 mins of the half or the game. Here's where you misunderstood....say you hack-a whoever, they get two shots and possession again (say they miss both shots). If you employ the strategy again the very next possession, it's a technical foul plus two shots. No possession after though.
    Okay, so I did misunderstand. I still think 2 FTs and possession goes way too far. That means if Iguodala draws an off the ball foul (he's one of the hack-a victims on the Warriors) he gets 2 FTs and then Curry can shoot a 3. That goes way too far. All it takes to get coaches to stop the tactic is to change the odds a little bit. A 55% FT shooter makes hack-a a losing proposition ... the Warriors average 1.15 points per possession so off-the-ball fouls, even accidental ones of the non hack-a variety (since hack-a is mostly 3 players) would result in many possessions more than 3 points. 3 to make 2 just makes even the worst FT shooter a break even proposal after 5 off the ball fouls in the game ... it just nudges the rules a little bit to keep coaches from going out of their minds for it.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    i dont want a player suspended after 3 flops... i want them suspended after he flops the first time **** that.... Its a ******** trend that became much more eye opening from the vlad divac days till now.

Adding a ref is a fantastic idea

doing something about the warriors screens need to happen as well

doing something about the 3 pointers is ********... its part of the game we have to deal with it. Learn to defend it better.

There needs to be a draymond green ruling... if a player runs away from the ref flapping his arms and jumping up and down and screaming and yelling its a tech period.
    You've got to give players time to adjust. 3 flops is fairly agressive.

Do something about all illegal screens, implying the Warriors are the only ones doing it is disingenuous, or do you really only want to keep the Warriors from doing while allowing the rest of the teams to do it?

I wouldn't mind the 3 point line being the same distance the whole way, but that's really unlikely.

I think the refs should be respected, but I think the players should be allowed to be expressive too. It's not just Green. When the refs were asked about Green they were generally positive about their interactions because they understand he's emotional but he was generally respectful of them in their dealings. I think video is not the best way to judge someone's character.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast