Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 116 of 150 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 2250
    All I see with a Machado trade is Texiera (actually worse than tat since we at least had a season and a half of him)

And even in the same realm of possibly not making the playoffs then having less than Kotchman to show.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    All I see with a Machado trade is Texiera (actually worse than tat since we at least had a season and a half of him)
    No possible way in hell, Machado is traded for a package close to what the Braves gave up for Tex. Braves or any other team will give up 1 of their top 5 prospects, and a lesser spec at most for Machado. Anyway, with the way the starters are going, I am back on the Hamels and Beltre train lol.

Orioles asked the Dodgers for Keibert Ruiz (44) prospect and Dustin May, ranked 10th in their system, not in the top 100. Dodgers said no. Like I said, it would come close to the Tex trade

Per Jon Morosi:

In fact, one source highly doubts the Braves would offer right-hander Ian Anderson (No. 4) and left-hander Max Fried (No. 7) for Machado, because the team: (a) believes both pitchers have high ceilings; and (b) views the bullpen as a more pressing need.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/manny-macha...ce/c-284331142
    Last edited by vikingsfan0845; 07-09-2018 at 08:07 PM.
    2018 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Mike Hughes CB UCF
    Round 2: Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State
    Round 5: Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan
    Round 5: Daniel Carlson K Auburn
    Round 6: Colby Gossett G Appalachian State
    Round 6: Ade Aruna DE Tulane
    Round 7: Devante Downs LB California

What is maddening to me is why teams like ours feel like they have to wait until the deadline to make moves. I understand that some teams are waiting to see if they are really losers or not, and waiting for the best deal they can possibly get for their players. For the most part though, those are your higher end players. My problem is that we need bullpen help in the worst way and that should be able to be had right now. I highly doubt we become serious players in the Machado sweepstakes. Moustakas does nothing for us(despite what others may think). J.A. Haap and Cole Hamels aren't winning us a World Series, so why waste the time and possible prospect hauls on those guys? Get young and controllable arms for the bullpen and see if anything just happens to fall in your lap after that. Maybe someone like a Madison Bumgarner becomes available and can be a difference maker. For now though, get the small pieces we need and try to stay afloat in the standings. We can't keep giving away games because we can't hold on to leads or even keep ourselves in games late because you can't depend on our bullpen at all. Sorry for the rant, just felt like getting it off my chest.

Braves were scouting the Royals and Twins last night. Players I can see the Braves interested in from both teams
    Duffy
    Moustakes
    Berrios ( I wish)
    Escobar
    Rodney

Escobar is very intriguing. RH bat, having a career year and is a rental, so won't cost too much in specs. Move Camargo to SS

I am not sure if I am moving Swanson off of SS. There is a reason the Braves love this guy, it is because they aren't playing fantasy baseball and just trying to load up on the best bats.

Swanson right now is probably the gold glove SS in the NL..where his 12 DRS is 2nd to one player (and on pace with what Simmons used to do) and his UZR/150 is #1 (where Camargo possesses a 0 DRS at SS).

If you look at just two examples of WAR...Camargo has a slight lead on fangraphs at 1.4 to 1.2 and Swanson is better in WAR on baseball-reference with a 2.2 to 1.6.

Both hitters are streaky, Camargo could become the super sub...but I am not sure you need Beltre over Camargo at 3B. Beltre would provide a boost of leadership for a young team (and he would be good leadership for the young hispanic guys), but he is a wash with Camargo.

I would much rather go hunting for bullpen as priority #1 (asap). I think we need a #1 on the mound as a longshot #2. With how injuries go in pitching, some of our guys in the minors may never see the light of day. I think we look tonsee if Anderson, Gohara or Fried, Pache and Wisler can get us Syndergaard or Degrom. You know what you are getting with those guys, and I know this deal prob comes up short for those guys...but I wouldn't cry about losing thst for those guys (as we have the $$ to get a replacement in the OF for Pache next yr that is an immediate impact).

I do think our team is barely floating right now and a statement of buying would add a jolt possibly. That said... bullpen now.

Quote Originally Posted by vtgriff09 View Post
    I am not sure if I am moving Swanson off of SS. There is a reason the Braves love this guy, it is because they aren't playing fantasy baseball and just trying to load up on the best bats.

Swanson right now is probably the gold glove SS in the NL..where his 12 DRS is 2nd to one player (and on pace with what Simmons used to do) and his UZR/150 is #1 (where Camargo possesses a 0 DRS at SS).

If you look at just two examples of WAR...Camargo has a slight lead on fangraphs at 1.4 to 1.2 and Swanson is better in WAR on baseball-reference with a 2.2 to 1.6.

Both hitters are streaky, Camargo could become the super sub...but I am not sure you need Beltre over Camargo at 3B. Beltre would provide a boost of leadership for a young team (and he would be good leadership for the young hispanic guys), but he is a wash with Camargo.

I would much rather go hunting for bullpen as priority #1 (asap). I think we need a #1 on the mound as a longshot #2. With how injuries go in pitching, some of our guys in the minors may never see the light of day. I think we look tonsee if Anderson, Gohara or Fried, Pache and Wisler can get us Syndergaard or Degrom. You know what you are getting with those guys, and I know this deal prob comes up short for those guys...but I wouldn't cry about losing thst for those guys (as we have the $$ to get a replacement in the OF for Pache next yr that is an immediate impact).

I do think our team is barely floating right now and a statement of buying would add a jolt possibly. That said... bullpen now.
    This isn't playing fantasy baseball, lol. Swanson is a black hole in the lineup as it stands. After a good April, BA, OBP has been terrible
    May - .204, .304
    June - .238, .267
    July - .185, .267

With his power, that OBP is unacceptable. It's unfair to use Camargos DRS at SS, when he hasn't gotten consistent play there. Look at DRS since becoming the everday 3B, 10 DRS. Wasn't Camargo always regarded as the best defensive player in the system coming through the minors? Now he is putting an offense with it. Camargos BA is starting to tick up, but before it was, he still boasted a good OBP and SLG, which shows me that he was getting a bit unlucky. If you can get a black hole out of the lineup, and still get good defensive play, you do it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BraveWorld23 View Post
    This isn't playing fantasy baseball, lol. Swanson is a black hole in the lineup as it stands. After a good April, BA, OBP has been terrible
    May - .204, .304
    June - .238, .267
    July - .185, .267

With his power, that OBP is unacceptable. It's unfair to use Camargos DRS at SS, when he hasn't gotten consistent play there. Look at DRS since becoming the everday 3B, 10 DRS. Wasn't Camargo always regarded as the best defensive player in the system coming through the minors? Now he is putting an offense with it. Camargos BA is starting to tick up, but before it was, he still boasted a good OBP and SLG, which shows me that he was getting a bit unlucky. If you can get a black hole out of the lineup, and still get good defensive play, you do it IMO.
    No, Ozzie on the other hand was pretty good.

This is obviously out of the box but it could work, what if we trade Swanson por Archer? A controllable starter who is struggling a bit but has some upside, a better pitchers is obviously better, but couldn't find any, other than Degrom or Thor. Move Ozzie to SS and Camargo to 2B, that leaves third base open for Riley next year. We can trade for Escobar or Moose this year As a bridge.

Atlanta Braves -- Kolby Allard, LHP. The Braves need bullpen help, but should also be in the mix for Machado. The team's first-round pick in 2015, Allard is pitching well in Triple-A at age 20 with a 2.96 ERA. With a mediocre strikeout rate (79 in 97⅓ innings) and less-than-blazing fastball, his upside isn't viewed as high as some other Atlanta pitching prospects. I'd consider dealing him as the centerpiece of a Machado trade or for a controllable reliever such as Brad Hand or Kyle Barraclough.
    ESPN has an article up about the one player all 30 teams should trade before the deadline and this is what they have for the Braves.

here is the full article if you want to check it out

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/mlb/sto...trade-deadline

RIP Gene Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    ESPN has an article up about the one player all 30 teams should trade before the deadline and this is what they have for the Braves.

here is the full article if you want to check it out

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/mlb/sto...trade-deadline
    I mean if the Machado trade comes with an extension sure but def not for a reliever IMO. That seems like a really weird one for us to have listed

DOB made a series of tweets that sumarize the mediocrity of the team since June 1st.

#Braves starters are 5-8 w/ a 4.89 ERA in the Braves’ past 19 games, averaging fewer than 5 2/3 innings in that stretch and working five innings or fewer in 11 of those 19 games. They’ve totaled 102 strikeouts with 48 walks and 16 homers allowed in 99 1/3 innings.
    Braves are 16-17 since the beginning of June, and in that span bullpen has a 5.40 ERA, six blown saves in 15 chances, .754 oppOPS and 55 walks,16 HR allowed in 123 1/3 IP. Bullpen allowed 3 or more ER in 14 of those 33 games, had to work more than 3 innings in 17 of 33 games.
    #Braves are 14-15 in past 29 games, and in that span hit .251 with a .314 OBP, .718 OPS and 3 times as many strikeouts (241) as walks (81). In past 7 games, Braves are 1-6 with a .693 OPS and 66 strikeouts with 25 walks including nine or more strikeouts in six of seven games
    I think this show us that we have a hole in every facet of the gane (except defense). What you guys think we should do this deadline? asuming we can only get better in two of the three areas, which one should we address this season?

Offense: I think we have hole in one of the infield spots and one of the outfield spots. We have some options in the infield, Swanson sucks at offense but he's been a revelation on defense, Camargo has been fine at third base but he's far from a great offensive player. We can get a SS to replace Swanson or move Ozzie back to SS and Camargo to 2B an acquire a 3B. Machado is the obvious candidate but Eduardo Escobar, Moustakas, Beltre et al will be an upgrade.

Inciarte has been terrible this season, we can move Acuña to CF and acquire a LF, like Nicholas Castellanos.

Starters: Our rotation now consist of Folty-Newcomb-Sanchez-Teheran, acquiring a top of the rotation pitchers is bassically impossible so we need to aim a bit lower and try to trade for a mid rotation arm with upside like Archer, Fulmer. This is obviously a strenght in our farm but filling our rotation with more unproven guys won't be smart if we want to win the east.

Bullpen: this is probably the biggest need, trade for a controllable reliever or a rental is the question, we also need multiple players for the pen.

If I was in charge of making decisions a starter and bullpen pieces are the easiest to acquire this deadline. I will try to get Archer, if he's out of the AL East I think he'll thrive. I will also acquire rental pieces for the pen, guys like Tyler Yates will do the trick. I would expect until the offseason to fix the offense, of the three needs that's the one I have more faith.

Joey Wentz, Juan Carlos Encarnacion and Huascar Ynoa for Archer.
    Some lesser prospects for two months of two relievers.

That's it.

Find a controllable RP or two and do nothing else, let the team play.

We where not even supposed to be this good this year, don't sell off good assets for rentals to chase this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Find a controllable RP or two and do nothing else, let the team play.

We where not even supposed to be this good this year, don't sell off good assets for rentals to chase this year.
    I disagree a bit, relievers are volatile, I don't want to pay the price it'll take to acquire a controllable reliever to see him suck next year. Rental RP don't cost much, the Nats just acquire an elite one for spare parts.

I understand that we weren't supposed to compete this year, but guess what, we are. If you have a chance to make the playoffs you have to try it, who knos what happen next year. I'm not proposing we trade our elite prospects, just trade from our depth to get some pieces.