Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: James Shields

Shields was incoherent during his post game interview.
    "We are a bunch or grinders...."

James Shields

He needs to go on the DL or to the minors
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Not a comment made about how sad anyone was to see Tatis part...

Quote Originally Posted by shorvath721 View Post
    Not a comment made about how sad anyone was to see Tatis part...
    Probably because he was a 17 year old kid that didn't make his professional baseball debut until after he was traded. Not to mention the Sox had Tim Anderson as their top positional prospect and seemed to have SS locked up for awhile. Sure "they should have waited to see what he can do" can always be applied here, but you usually aren't expecting low tier international signings to evolve into top prospects. If anything I give credit to Tatis for simply playing better than anyone in baseball expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash View Post
    Probably because he was a 17 year old kid that didn't make his professional baseball debut until after he was traded. Not to mention the Sox had Tim Anderson as their top positional prospect and seemed to have SS locked up for awhile. Sure "they should have waited to see what he can do" can always be applied here, but you usually aren't expecting low tier international signings to evolve into top prospects. If anything I give credit to Tatis for simply playing better than anyone in baseball expected.

Exactly...just pointing out that at the time of the trade most sox fans were happy...two years later all of a sudden itís the dumbest trade in history?!?!?

Every team besides the Padres missed on this guy, because if any team thought he was this good, they would have forked over more than 700k for him

Exactly...just pointing out that at the time of the trade most sox fans were happy...two years later all of a sudden itís the dumbest trade in history?!?!?
    That was arguably the worst trade in White Sox history. Many of us including myself did not like it when it was made. I did not want Shields for any amount let alone for all the money they paid to assume part of his Contract plus Tatis Jr.

Add the Shields/Tatis Jr. to some questionable First Round Draft picks over the past few years At least 3 out of the last four may end up being busts (Collins, Fulmer, Burgur) and Carlos Rodon may or may not return to his prior form. It is hard to be the best out of 30 teams and win a championship when the organization misfires that often.

I am just a fan so I do not claim I could have done any better. Having said that, I think that there has been some very poor talent evaluation by those who are paid to do it.

Big game James.... The end results of this trade will not be pretty. I would not be surprised if Shields gets DFAed before the All Star break. Meanwhile, Tatis Jr. is already one of the top ten prospects in baseball and climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by garypeters View Post
    That was arguably the worst trade in White Sox history. Many of us including myself did not like it when it was made. I did not want Shields for any amount let alone for all the money they paid to assume part of his Contract plus Tatis Jr.

Add the Shields/Tatis Jr. to some questionable First Round Draft picks over the past few years At least 3 out of the last four may end up being busts (Collins, Fulmer, Burgur) and Carlos Rodon may or may not return to his prior form. It is hard to be the best out of 30 teams and win a championship when the organization misfires that often.

I am just a fan so I do not claim I could have done any better. Having said that, I think that there has been some very poor talent evaluation by those who are paid to do it.

Big game James.... The end results of this trade will not be pretty. I would not be surprised if Shields gets DFAed before the All Star break. Meanwhile, Tatis Jr. is already one of the top ten prospects in baseball and climbing.
    Again, reviewing the trade now, yes it looks to be a BAD trade....but the point of bringing this post back up is that not one person seemed concerned that we gave up Johnson or Tatis then as people are saying now.

Move on...it happened, and was part of the reason the sox decided to start rebuilding and acquire young talent instead of continually being mediocre and trying to make a trade or two each year for the past 10+ years average players to get them over the hump like Shields, Samardzja, Frazier, Peavy, Youkilis, Edwin Jackson, Javier Vazquez, etc...

One of these moves were eventually going to bite them in the butt, and this one looks like itís the one, but please donít act like you were concerned at the time about Tatis, he skyrocketed the way no talent evaluators in baseball saw him.

The sky is falling GP. watch out ... So Burger is a bust already? Collins too?? How do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you continue to make ridiculous statements like this. The Sox should have known that a 17 year kid who never played was going to be what exactly is he ... a prospect. Burger has had half a season, Collins worked on his D at the expense of his hitting last year. Rodon, well ... he was SUPPOSED to be the best pitcher in baseball when he was drafted, having proven nothing yet (sound familiar).
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Again, reviewing the trade now, yes it looks to be a BAD trade....but the point of bringing this post back up is that not one person seemed concerned that we gave up Johnson or Tatis then as people are saying now.
    I did not resurrect the post but I was one who was not in favor of getting Shields on any terms. But this isn't about us fans, It is about Rick Hahn. At the time, the owner of the Padres was begging teams to take BG James. As I recall, it wasn't as though there were several teams making offers for him. Instead, the headlines were about the rift between BG and the Owner of the Padres. Hahn got duped, there is just no question about that. He wanted big name , big game James.

It just isn't our fault as fans that the White Sox gave up Tatis Jr. but at the same time, it is our prerogative to complain about that. The Sox acquired Tatis J after evaluating him because they knew he had a great upside and could form the nucleus of a wining team in the future.

So OK, crying over this does nothing but at the same time you have to hold people responsible. Plus we still have this guy in our rotation and that could be problematic. For all the reasons that Shields had issues with the Padres, he is not the right veteran to have in the clubhouse. He is no Mark Burleigh with the young pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    The sky is falling GP. watch out ... So Burger is a bust already? Collins too?? How do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you continue to make ridiculous statements like this.
    Are you suggesting that I am ridiculous and the only Sox fan that has not noticed that Burgur cannot play defense and that he showed up to his first Spring Training obese and out of condition?
    And what did Collins hit in the minors last season? Has his defense behind the plate opened any eyes? You forgot Carson Fulmer, the last of the three first round amigos. Am I the only one who watched his first two outings and noticed that he still has not made adjustments to his inconsistent delivery and that he seems to be throwing rather than pitching to a spot.

I am not trying to be a total downer because I love Luis Robert, Cease, Giolito, Stephens and Kopech this far in ST. I also think Yolmer, Saladino and Matt Davidson are starting out well this Spring.

Ironically Muttman, I am beginning to agree with you that 2018 should be a tank year.
    I would brink up Eloy and Luis Robert as soon as possible. I would forget about trading for Moose or Machado and work on trading Abreu and Garcia for prospects. Then push the timeline for the rebuild back a few years realizing that a lot of the heralded prospects will not become all that they were cracked up to be.

I'm going to say that while Shields is much less than we all had hoped for, having him in the rotation is in no way problematic. He is eating innings and filling a spot that honestly nobody else can right now.
    To break it down, he is buying time for ____ (fill in the blank) a young White Sox pitcher to continue to develop in the minor leagues. I like Mark Buehrle as much and maybe more than the next guy, but he's not available.
    I have read a few articles indicating that Shields was being a mentor and good influence on some of the kids.

We can agree to disagree about Hahn getting duped, he took a chance and it didn't work out as well as it could have. That's going to happen.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

[QUOTE=garypeters;32208478]That was arguably the worst trade in White Sox history. Many of us including myself did not like it when it was made. I did not want Shields for any amount let alone for all the money they paid to assume part of his Contract plus Tatis Jr.

Big game James.... The end results of this trade will not be pretty. I would not be surprised if Shields gets DFAed before the All Star break. Meanwhile, Tatis Jr. is already one of the top ten prospects in baseball and climbing.[
    Toataly agree!!!! I said the same thing at the time!

Quote Originally Posted by garypeters View Post
    Are you suggesting that I am ridiculous and the only Sox fan that has not noticed that Burgur cannot play defense and that he showed up to his first Spring Training obese and out of condition?

You have a pattern of making "panic" comments that I and perhaps some others regard as ridiculous.
    You made the assessment that Burger can't play D based upon his 2 spring training games? I would not argue that he is overweight, I would be willing to bet you though that he is not out of condition. He's a big kid, he needs to grow up and unfortunately he's learning that the hard way.

And what did Collins hit in the minors last season? Has his defense behind the plate opened any eyes?

Yes, I believe it did. He defense improved notably at the expense of his hitting. He has had one full year in the minors, and nobody that I'm aware of (besides you) are labeling him a bust.

You forgot Carson Fulmer, the last of the three first round amigos. Am I the only one who watched his first two outings and noticed that he still has not made adjustments to his inconsistent delivery and that he seems to be throwing rather than pitching to a spot.

Carson Fulmer is very much a work in progress. Of the three you mentioned he concerns me the most.
    Having said that, I read this morning that if he doesn't pan out as a starter, and this has been speculated upon since he was drafted, that he has a very solid future as a closer.

I am not trying to be a total downer because I love Luis Robert, Cease, Giolito, Stephens and Kopech this far in ST. I also think Yolmer, Saladino and Matt Davidson are starting out well this Spring.

Ironically Muttman, I am beginning to agree with you that 2018 should be a tank year.
    I would brink up Eloy and Luis Robert as soon as possible. I would forget about trading for Moose or Machado and work on trading Abreu and Garcia for prospects. Then push the timeline for the rebuild back a few years realizing that a lot of the heralded prospects will not become all that they were cracked up to be.
    2018 is very much a tank year. I don't think we will see 100 losses, but something around or just below .500 seems about right. The White Sox will not rush Eloy, Kopech and Hansen - but I'd expect to see them all by the time September rolls around.
    Last edited by Muttman73; 03-06-2018 at 04:09 PM.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

I apologize to everyone for whining so much about Shields for Tatis J. That is the last I will mention it.
    It is Spring and time to look ahead with a positive outlook.

I always enjoy debating with you GP. It's nothing personal. You can't talk politics with anyone - anymore so sports has become more of a passion for me.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast