Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm not a fan at all of drafting CB first round. CBs take forever to develop and even though I haven't looked it up it seems like they have the biggest bust potential of any position taken in the first round..I can't remember many good ones that came out of the first round except Peterson. CB should be built through free agency unless there is a can't miss prospect. Derrick Barnett would be my choice with the Rams pick...a mans man ready to play in a mans league. Really wish there was a better WR prospect though.

Quote Originally Posted by warehouseisbare View Post
    I'm not a fan at all of drafting CB first round. CBs take forever to develop and even though I haven't looked it up it seems like they have the biggest bust potential of any position taken in the first round..I can't remember many good ones that came out of the first round except Peterson. CB should be built through free agency unless there is a can't miss prospect. Derrick Barnett would be my choice with the Rams pick...a mans man ready to play in a mans league. Really wish there was a better WR prospect though.
    Well this just isn't true. 2015: Marcus Peters has been a star and Kevin Johnson has been solid. 2014: Jason Verrett has been a Pro Bowler and Bradley Roby has been a stud. 2013: Desmond Trufant and Xavier Rhodes, Pro Bowlers. 2012: Stephon Gilmore has been solid. The list goes on. Recently there have been some highly drafted CB's bust (Morris Claiborne *up until this season, Dee Milliner, D.J. Hayden, Justin Gilbert) but that doesn't mean all CB's are created equally. I think Robinson has proven he knows what he's doing. If he ends up taking one that high, you've gotta be excited about it.

There are two reasons I don't want them to draft a CB in the first. The first reason being the amount of depth there will be in this years draft at CB. It's bonkers. You are probably going to find someone like Tre'Davious White or Desmond King in the late 1st early 2nd. Second, there are some solid options in Free Agency. I really want them to land Bouye and a second tier guy like Amukamara or Kirkpatrick. I think Sims has showed that he deserves a shot to start next year. He's been in position most of the time, just has to learn to get his head around.

There is too much value at the top of the draft to waste it on a CB, unless Robinson sees one that validates the selection. I really want to get in a bidding war with a couple teams looking for a QB trying to get ahead of the Jets. If that doesn't happen I want them to go BPA on the defense. Foster is a personal favorite, but Adams would be sweet as well. We'd be set at safety for the next 10 years with he and Byard.

EDiT: Mike Williams is a legit top 5-10 option at WR too.
    Last edited by scarylarry23; 01-02-2017 at 01:09 AM.

Heroes In Blue

Or hope that 2 of the top 3 go crazy and take a QB. Which would let someone like Jonathan Allen fall into our lap.

Heroes In Blue

Well, what larry said, regarding 1st round solid CBs coming out of the Draft in recent years. Plus, looking at just last year's class, Ramsey, Burns and Apple have all looked like good players (all three first round picks). Plus you have guys like Bradberry who I think has looked impressive, and is very promising, or like Alexander, who just hasn't had the chance to prove himself yet, probably mostly because the Minnesota secondary is pretty deep. Adjusting to the league is a concern for every position, and the bust potential is there as well, regardless if he plays CB or not.

Quote Originally Posted by scarylarry23 View Post
    Well this just isn't true. 2015: Marcus Peters has been a star and Kevin Johnson has been solid. 2014: Jason Verrett has been a Pro Bowler and Bradley Roby has been a stud. 2013: Desmond Trufant and Xavier Rhodes, Pro Bowlers. 2012: Stephon Gilmore has been solid. The list goes on. Recently there have been some highly drafted CB's bust (Morris Claiborne *up until this season, Dee Milliner, D.J. Hayden, Justin Gilbert) but that doesn't mean all CB's are created equally. I think Robinson has proven he knows what he's doing. If he ends up taking one that high, you've gotta be excited about it.

There are two reasons I don't want them to draft a CB in the first. The first reason being the amount of depth there will be in this years draft at CB. It's bonkers. You are probably going to find someone like Tre'Davious White or Desmond King in the late 1st early 2nd. Second, there are some solid options in Free Agency. I really want them to land Bouye and a second tier guy like Amukamara or Kirkpatrick. I think Sims has showed that he deserves a shot to start next year. He's been in position most of the time, just has to learn to get his head around.

There is too much value at the top of the draft to waste it on a CB, unless Robinson sees one that validates the selection. I really want to get in a bidding war with a couple teams looking for a QB trying to get ahead of the Jets. If that doesn't happen I want them to go BPA on the defense. Foster is a personal favorite, but Adams would be sweet as well. We'd be set at safety for the next 10 years with he and Byard.

EDiT: Mike Williams is a legit top 5-10 option at WR too.
    I'd like to trade down as well, but I'd like it as a last resort option. I personally believe there's a chance one of Allen or Garrett might fall to us, and if that's the case, I'd hate to miss on that type of defensive prospect. If not, by all means, trade back and grab some extra picks.

But we have to address the CB high. Unless we do end up trading back and earn another small fortune again, we don't pick again until the 3rd round. The depth that everyone is talking about at CB, will have run out until that point.

And look, I think Sims deserves a chance too, but no way I feel great about him having a starting position by default. There has to be some serious competition at the position going into camp. I still want to add a FA and hopefully move the hell on from Valentino Blake. But think about it like this, unless LeBeau really loves McCain, we should have all three CB spots up for the taking. McCourty has dealt with injuries, and he's just far from a reliable #1 at this point. He has to be pushed at the very least to a #2 spot. So ideally, I'd like to have something like McCourty, Sims, +FA signed and at least 1 Draft pick to compete for those jobs.

Look at what happened to us when we played Rivers. Look at what Luck did to us, especially game 1 and early in game 2. I don't want that to happen ever again, next year. We're in a good position to fix it, we just have to address it as the biggest need and not mess around. I don't care all that much about taking a CB with the Rams pick, because arguably that'd be a bit of a reach, and at this moment in the process, you can argue there's no prospect who has established himself worthy of that price. But we need to do something to make sure we end up with one of the better prospects of this class.

The great teams don't address "need" they go for the best available player...if it happens to address a need thats fantastic. Free agency is where we should pick up a CB and in the later rounds. I mean no offense but throwing out guys names who are "solid" players isn't what I want out of a top 5 pick...when you draft top 5 you are expecting a star player. I wouldn't trade out of the 5 pick for most of the named guys. I realize everyone will disagree on that and that's just fine and dandy but I'll bet you those GMs would go crazy if we offered them the 5 for most of those players. I think they'd be standing in line for that. If we want to use the 18 on a CB...fine, I guess. I think it will be a wasted pick. I really could care less if a guy is a pro bowler. How many times have Titans been screwed out of the pro bowl for some lesser guy that just happens to be on a winning team? Or all of the guys that just don't care about the pro bowl or are "injured" so they don't go and then the lower tier players end up there.

The top of the draft has some stud LBs and DEs. That's the way I'd pick 5 and WR at the 18. If you can get pressure on the QB its just as good as a having guys that can cover great, if not even better. We have a good D-Line, lets make it elite.

No offense, you said 1st round CB's not top 5...nowhere did either of us say we believed there is one in this draft that warrants it.

EDIT: And I think the Pro Bowl is a joke, but you would be very happy if any of these lousy Pro Bowl CB's were on the Titans.
    Last edited by scarylarry23; 01-02-2017 at 04:23 PM.

Heroes In Blue

Also, may I interest you in post #33. If Allen or Garrett have a Leonard Williams fall you don't hesitate. My mistake. I just assumed that was clearly understood and could go unsaid.

Heroes In Blue

The great teams don't address "need" they go for the best available player...if it happens to address a need thats fantastic. Free agency is where we should pick up a CB and in the later rounds. I mean no offense but throwing out guys names who are "solid" players isn't what I want out of a top 5 pick...when you draft top 5 you are expecting a star player. I wouldn't trade out of the 5 pick for most of the named guys. I realize everyone will disagree on that and that's just fine and dandy but I'll bet you those GMs would go crazy if we offered them the 5 for most of those players. I think they'd be standing in line for that. If we want to use the 18 on a CB...fine, I guess. I think it will be a wasted pick. I really could care less if a guy is a pro bowler. How many times have Titans been screwed out of the pro bowl for some lesser guy that just happens to be on a winning team? Or all of the guys that just don't care about the pro bowl or are "injured" so they don't go and then the lower tier players end up there.

The top of the draft has some stud LBs and DEs. That's the way I'd pick 5 and WR at the 18. If you can get pressure on the QB its just as good as a having guys that can cover great, if not even better. We have a good D-Line, lets make it elite.
    I did see the same thing, first round CBs, and not top 5.

I've been a fan of BPA for a while now. I wanted Ramsey or Bosa if we stayed at #1 last year, even Williams over Mariota before that. Also, great teams rarely pick top 5, or top 10. And when you're in a position to pick top 20+ and the top prospects at each position are off the board, there's a chance of a bigger reach than picking at #5 would be, so ideally you're better off going with BPA there because there's usually one or two good/solid prospects who have fallen into the mid to late 20s. Like if there's a CB they have a top 10 grade on, I'm more than comfortable grabbing him at 5 than I would be picking one they have a mid-2nd grade on, at 18. For what it's worth, I think the elite prospects of this next year's class are Allen, Garrett, Fournette, Cook and perhaps Adams. There are good prospects coming after that, but not really anyone I'd hate to pass on for a need position prospect with a similar grade. I don't know, maybe that's just me.

Also, again, we're not really saying to draft a CB top 5. I'd trade down, if the price is right, sure. But yes, I personally feel like we just can't leave the first round without a CB taken. Because our best corner currently on roster may very well be let go, and he's pretty far from a #1 CB at this point either way. And we don't have any depth behind him. Also because we don't pick again until the 3rd.

Maybe not every team in the league, but good teams with good quarterbacks will eat you up in that situation. It's a major area of need, and I feel like good teams don't allow themselves that exposed. And I believe that FA simply won't be enough.
    Last edited by Andrei00; 01-02-2017 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
    I did see the same thing, first round CBs, and not top 5.

I've been a fan of BPA for a while now. I wanted Ramsey or Bosa if we stayed at #1 last year, even Williams over Mariota before that. Also, great teams rarely pick top 5, or top 10. And when you're in a position to pick top 20+ and the top prospects at each position are off the board, there's a chance of a bigger reach than picking at #5 would be, so ideally you're better off going with BPA there because there's usually one or two good/solid prospects who have fallen into the mid to late 20s. Like if there's a CB they have a top 10 grade on, I'm more than comfortable grabbing him at 5 than I would be picking one they have a mid-2nd grade on, at 18. For what it's worth, I think the elite prospects of this next year's class are Allen, Garrett, Fournette, Cook and perhaps Adams. There are good prospects coming after that, but not really anyone I'd hate to pass on for a need position prospect with a similar grade. I don't know, maybe that's just me.

Also, again, we're not really saying to draft a CB top 5. I'd trade down, if the price is right, sure. But yes, I personally feel like we just can't leave the first round without a CB taken. Because our best corner currently on roster may very well be let go, and he's pretty far from a #1 CB at this point either way. And we don't have any depth behind him. Also because we don't pick again until the 3rd.

Maybe not every team in the league, but good teams with good quarterbacks will eat you up in that situation. It's a major area of need, and I feel like good teams don't allow themselves that exposed. And I believe that FA simply won't be enough.
    Yeah I was with you last year. I wanted Ramsey if no trade down. We had our disagreements in regard to Mariota v. Williams. Like you said, a 9-7 team rarely picks in the top 5. So they're in the perfect position to go BPA. In my opinion there are only two guys I'd take over a trade down, Myles Garrett and Jonathan Allen. Mike Willams is very close, but I think the gap between he and Corey Davis isn't as big as some tend to think. So missing out on him isn't as dire. I really think there is a good shot that one of those two will be there at #5. It's not going to happen, but maybe we'll get incredibly lucky and the Jags will hire a HC that wants nothing to do Bortles. This leading to them popping a QB at #4. I'm almost certain they'll end up with one of those guys though, and that defense is gonna be even stronger. Those QB's are going to get pushed up.

I'm curious what you think of Williams since you didn't include him in your elite group.

I really think that there could be a starting caliber CB available with that first 3rd round pick. It seems like everyone is declaring, I love it. It just keeps pushing more talent down the board. Someone like Cam Sutton could be there. I think it's all going to come down to what they can do in Free Agency at the position. If they get someone like Trumaine Johnson, Stephon Gilmore, or A.J. Bouye I think they can wait and not feel like they need to get a CB in the first. On the other hand, if they end up with someone like Dre Kirkpatrick, they absolutely shouldn't leave the 1st round without one. Like you said, our "best" CB could be cut. I really think that this is going to happen, unless they can talk him into restructuring his deal. I don't see any way you can pay him 7 million, when he has a cap hit of 0 if he's cut before the deadline.

Between the high picks and the amount of salary cap space, it's going to be a fun offseason. It'd be even better if it didn't have the cloud of Mariota's injury hanging over it. I already wish it was September.

Heroes In Blue

Yeah I was with you last year. I wanted Ramsey if no trade down. We had our disagreements in regard to Mariota v. Williams. Like you said, a 9-7 team rarely picks in the top 5. So they're in the perfect position to go BPA. In my opinion there are only two guys I'd take over a trade down, Myles Garrett and Jonathan Allen. Mike Willams is very close, but I think the gap between he and Corey Davis isn't as big as some tend to think. So missing out on him isn't as dire. I really think there is a good shot that one of those two will be there at #5. It's not going to happen, but maybe we'll get incredibly lucky and the Jags will hire a HC that wants nothing to do Bortles. This leading to them popping a QB at #4. I'm almost certain they'll end up with one of those guys though, and that defense is gonna be even stronger. Those QB's are going to get pushed up.

I'm curious what you think of Williams since you didn't include him in your elite group.

I really think that there could be a starting caliber CB available with that first 3rd round pick. It seems like everyone is declaring, I love it. It just keeps pushing more talent down the board. Someone like Cam Sutton could be there. I think it's all going to come down to what they can do in Free Agency at the position. If they get someone like Trumaine Johnson, Stephon Gilmore, or A.J. Bouye I think they can wait and not feel like they need to get a CB in the first. On the other hand, if they end up with someone like Dre Kirkpatrick, they absolutely shouldn't leave the 1st round without one. Like you said, our "best" CB could be cut. I really think that this is going to happen, unless they can talk him into restructuring his deal. I don't see any way you can pay him 7 million, when he has a cap hit of 0 if he's cut before the deadline.

Between the high picks and the amount of salary cap space, it's going to be a fun offseason. It'd be even better if it didn't have the cloud of Mariota's injury hanging over it. I already wish it was September.
    Well, to be honest, I rarely think of WR prospects as can't-miss-on players. I think Williams is a fine prospect, I just don't think he's necessarily a game changer, or someone I'd hate to miss on. I wouldn't go mad if they pick him at #5, if that's the way they decide to go, even though I've said it repeatedly I don't think the need for a #1 WR is as big as most people think. I also like Davis quite a lot, too.

Malik Hooker announced today that he is entering the draft. That would be my early pick for that #5 spot. Guy is gonna be a stud.

Marcus Mariota

Also, may I interest you in post #33. If Allen or Garrett have a Leonard Williams fall you don't hesitate. My mistake. I just assumed that was clearly understood and could go unsaid.
    Even if Allen or Garrett don't fall there are plenty of other players you take besides a CB at 5...heck if Jalen Ramsey was in this draft right now I don't think I'd take him knowing what I know now. It isn't to say that he isn't going to be a great player. Other positions are more valuable to have highly skilled players at IMO. You can get quality veteran CBs in free agency that you know will produce. We can realistically make a run in the playoffs next year. I shutter to think that our best CB could possibly be a CB we take in round 1 when we could have a high impact player taken instead!!! I think our GM is better than that. Also, I'll go on record right now and say I don't think Allen or Garrett are as good as a few other defensive players...but hey we are all listening to Kiper and McShay so they must be the best right?

No offense, you said 1st round CB's not top 5...nowhere did either of us say we believed there is one in this draft that warrants it.

EDIT: And I think the Pro Bowl is a joke, but you would be very happy if any of these lousy Pro Bowl CB's were on the Titans.

I did say first round but we pick 5 and 18 and since some people were saying CB must be addressed first round I assumed pick 5 was up for grabs for a CB as much as at 18. So if its a no go at 5 for y'all then 18 it is....I'd still rather have other position players than a CB as the 18th best player in the entire NFL draft taken unless you are getting a two or three times in a decade type of guy, then sure go for it. Doesn't look like there are any of those this year.

I'd love to have any other team's secondary compared to ours...I couldn't care less about pro bowlers. I don't think we need a single pro bowl caliber CB to win it all with this team...we won 9 games this year with one of the leagues worst coverage teams. Many of our games could have gone either way. We could easily have been an 11 or 12 win team.

Here is my philosophy...if you agree or disagree that is fine:

1. Don't draft for need...draft best player available (unless you need a QB...you just have to reach for the QB if you don't have one...its that important in this league). Sounds like many of you generally agree on this one but I'm not sure though...Still, We do not NEED to address CB round 1 in any way, shape or form.
    2. CB is one of the weakest positions in the league to spend a high pick on so you spend the pick on another position. You can say but Xavier Rhodes, Trufant, X...Y...Z was picked in the first round and they are SO GOOD! I can look at that same draft and find so many other guys that would make a much much higher impact for their teams.
    3. I consider any first round pick a high pick.

Also, please don't take any of this personal! I generally enjoy the sports talk and dialogue we are having about our team. Its nice to hear everyone's view points even if they do differ.
    Last edited by warehouseisbare; 01-02-2017 at 10:51 PM.

Even if Allen or Garrett don't fall there are plenty of other players you take besides a CB at 5...heck if Jalen Ramsey was in this draft right now I don't think I'd take him knowing what I know now. It isn't to say that he isn't going to be a great player. Other positions are more valuable to have highly skilled players at IMO. You can get quality veteran CBs in free agency that you know will produce. We can realistically make a run in the playoffs next year. I shutter to think that our best CB could possibly be a CB we take in round 1 when we could have a high impact player taken instead!!! I think our GM is better than that. Also, I'll go on record right now and say I don't think Allen or Garrett are as good as a few other defensive players...but hey we are all listening to Kiper and McShay so they must be the best right?

I did say first round but we pick 5 and 18 and since some people were saying CB must be addressed first round I assumed pick 5 was up for grabs for a CB as much as at 18. So if its a no go at 5 for y'all then 18 it is....I'd still rather have other position players than a CB as the 18th best player in the entire NFL draft taken unless you are getting a two or three times in a decade type of guy, then sure go for it. Doesn't look like there are any of those this year.

I'd love to have any other team's secondary compared to ours...I couldn't care less about pro bowlers. I don't think we need a single pro bowl caliber CB to win it all with this team...we won 9 games this year with one of the leagues worst coverage teams. Many of our games could have gone either way. We could easily have been an 11 or 12 win team.

1. Don't draft for need...draft best player available (unless you need a QB...you just have to reach for the QB if you don't have one...its that important in this league). Sounds like many of you generally agree on this one but I'm not sure though...Still, We do not NEED to address CB round 1 in any way, shape or form.
    2. CB is one of the weakest positions in the league to spend a high pick on so you spend the pick on another position. You can say but Xavier Rhodes, Trufant, X...Y...Z was picked in the first round and they are SO GOOD! I can look at that same draft and find so many other guys that would make a much much higher impact for their teams.

Also, please don't take any of this personal! I generally enjoy the sports talk and dialogue we are having about our team. Its nice to hear everyone's view points even if they do differ.
    Well, regarding the quality veterans in FA. Who are they? Yes, there are some players who could do well as #2 options or playing in the slot, but there just aren't any shutdown quality corners hitting the market this year, and generally speaking that rarely happens unless they're after a shitload of money they're not being offered on their original team. Norman was an exception last year, and obviously he was expensive. Maybe JJ as well, but the Rams thought they were getting the guy they wanted in Johnson, which obviously turned out completely the opposite.

There just aren't many players who can make an impact on their team, the way you seem to believe other non-CBs are capable of, barring QBs, of course, and even that's mostly true only for the elite few. I've looked briefly at the top 5 picks since 2005, and unless I missed anyone, only three players have a SB win on their resume: Reggie Bush, AJ Hawk and Von Miller. There's no true recipe for success when it comes to the NFL. Sure, there are guidelines, and principles to follow, but there's no such thing as finding success in ignoring a certain position or overdrafting one other.

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Malik Hooker announced today that he is entering the draft. That would be my early pick for that #5 spot. Guy is gonna be a stud.
    This is interesting. He definitely has a lot of potential.

Oh don't worry, I don't take any of this personally. If I did, I would have bigger problems than someone disagreeing with me on an online forum. We're all fans of the same team. I've been right with things I wanted to happen, and I've been very wrong (a lot last offseason) at times. Reasonable discussion is fun for all.

That's crazy to me you wouldn't take Ramsey at #5 after seeing what he is. That would be the perfect pick for us this year. He was damn near a shut down corner as a rookie. I get that people have their own personal philosophies, but that's a bit of a stretch IMO. I don't know where all these great corners are you speak of? There's a reason that top ones rarely hit the open market. There are some solid options out there (Bouye, Gilmore, Johnson, Claiborne) but in all likelihood we're only getting 1, if any. You say you shudder at the thought of our best corner being a 1st round pick, our top corner was the corpse of Jason McCourty. I would take a 1st round corner of that. He has been bad. IMO the only way that McCourty, our top corner, sticks around is if he takes a big pay cut. That would leaves us with LeShaun Sims (hopefully Blake and McCain aren't resigned) as the only corner on the roster with starting experience. I like most of what I've seen from Sims, but that doesn't inspire a ton of confidence.

Also, I'm not sure what McShay or Kiper have to do with Allen and/or Garrett? Both have the tape and the pedigree to back up the hype. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here? If this statement was directed toward someone gushing about Peppers, I would totally agree. No way with the previous two. I'm curious who these superior defensive players are? I'm so hoping you say T.J. Watt.

See this is where your argument gets away from you. It's been established that nobody wants any of these corners in the top 5. So clearly the selection would be at #18. You can't say that you don't care about the examples that I have provided that have been good to great as 1st rounders, but say you can turn around and provide examples of poor 1st round corners. That'd be like me saying I don't care about these poor players. The original argument was that 1st round corners take too long to develop or never do. These are the contrary examples given to prove that this is false. That is the draft, it's like that with most positions. Remember with OT was the safest position? Recent history disproves this.

Next, you say we won 9 games with this poor secondary and the loses could've went either way. Well, I don't think I should have to remind you why these games went the other way. Some of the fault lays at Mariota's feet with the turnovers, but the majority of the rest at the secondaries. You improve the secondary and Mariota plays the near mistake free football he did after week 4, there's your 11-12 win team.

1. I agree with BPA, where have I said I don't. Like Andrei00 said, it's not very often a winning team picks in the top 5. There isn't a better time to draft BPA. If we add one of Bouye, Johnson, or Gilmore and can get McCourty to restructure his deal, I agree, we won't need to draft a corner at 18. If we keep ending up with the Brice McCain's and Valentino Blake's of the Free Agency world, we absolutely have to get one in the first.
    2. Like I said before, you can't say you won't count the 1st round corners who've been worth their selection or that the busts count more. That makes no sense. The draft isn't a hindsight proposition. Positional value goes into the selection as well. Cornerback is WAY up there in todays NFL. It's just one example, but why can't we beat the Colts, yet the Jags damn near swept them? Because Luck and those wideouts feast on our subpar secondary.
    3. Nobody is saying a 1st round pick isn't a high pick? I consider the top 3 rounds high picks. That's typically where you find your impact starters.

Heroes In Blue

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast