Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).

How long before guys are averaging .500 from the arc?

On 8 occasions players have averaged over .500 from the arc. Four of these instances came when the league moved the 3pt line in so that the Bulls would have a chance against the Rockets when Jordan returned (jk).

That means only on four occasions have players shot over .500 from the current 3pt line:

1. Kyle Korver: he shot .536 on 2.1 shots per game in 2010
    2. Jon Sundvold (?): he shot 5.22 on 1.4 shots per game in 89
    3. Jason Kapono: shot .514 on 3.1 shots per game in 2007
    4. Steve Kerr: shot .507 in 1990 on 1.8 attempts per game

These guys were not primary scorers. They are generally the types of guys who pick up open shots when the defences break down, hence their higher percentages.

However, we've seen primary shooter with significant defense hounding them shoot over .450 (Curry did it taking over 11 shots a game) and even more shooting over .400 (Klay shoots over .400 taking over 8 shots a game).

So the questions are as follows. First: WTF is Jon Sundvold, how did he not get more shots, and why do I not know who he is? (jk) And second (the real question), how long before we start seeing primary options drop three's at .500? Or will we ever? Are Curry and Klay anomalies? Or the new standard?
    Last edited by JasonJohnHorn; 09-10-2017 at 08:46 PM.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

#2 and #4 are symptomatic of what came up in another thread: In the 80's and 90's the 3pt line was considered a gimmick by coaches because it was imported from the ABA. Very few coaches at the time recognized the advantage they were willingly giving up.

To answer one of the questions, Sundvold seems to be a career backup PG who couldn't do anything besides shoot 3s.

If they make the 3pt line shorter again like they did in the 90s there will be 50 guys shooting .500 next year.

Since it's happened before I'm sure it will happen in the future, but it's probably going to be a catch and shoot player doing it.

Mah boy gonna do it this yr!

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR!

I've called it into existence!

Never. There is a cap on this just like there is with ft shooting

Props to Rihanna for that quote...that she actually knew what she was talking about.

I don't think it will ever be the norm. You will continue to get a sniper who doesn't take anything but open looks to bump over it now and then, but nobody of usage will shoot over it.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

There's a law of diminishing returns on shooting. >50% from 3 will never happen as a norm barring rule changes that essentially negate perimeter defense or another re-shortening of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    Props to Rihanna for that quote...that she actually knew what she was talking about.
    I didn't know if it was real or not but seemed funny. What makes it hilarious is that kd lusted over Rihanna in the past, wanting to marry her and ****. You know it's sad when your dream girl trashes your lack of game

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Well... FT is a little different, but there are a host of guys who shoot over 80% every season. Lots of guys who shoot over 85% even.

I'm not saying it is going to happen, but in the 80's and 90's, if a guy who 33% he was decent. Guys who shot in the high 30's were amazing. Now those guys are average and 40% is the gold standard.

I feel like with this being the direction the league is going in, more and more kids/coaches/young players are going to be looking at this aspect of the game, just like when Jordan popularize that slash/dunk/mid-range game.

If we have a generation of kids trying to shoot 3's like Curry and Klay, we'll end up with some great 3-pt shooters.

I don't know where it's going to cap off, but I feel like having some guys in the next ten years who are running at .500 with a high volume of shots isn't unreasonable.

when natural selection starts favoring it

I think its highly unlikely that someone will consistently avg 50% from 3 because the sheer volume at which the most proficient 3 pt shooters shoot said shot

It could be done by guys who don't attempt many 3s sure but ie someone like steph (or any other high volume shooter) prolly wont just because they take so many it diminishes their chances

Exactly this.

You'll see some players do it here and there. Just like you'll see very high free throw guys. But it'll never be the league average without it changing distance.

Quote Originally Posted by LA4life24/8 View Post
    I think its highly unlikely that someone will consistently avg 50% from 3 because the sheer volume at which the most proficient 3 pt shooters shoot said shot

It could be done by guys who don't attempt many 3s sure but ie someone like steph (or any other high volume shooter) prolly wont just because they take so many it diminishes their chances

If somebody had said to you ten years ago: we're going to see teams first options putting up 10 or more 3's a game and averaging .450 while doing it, would you have believed that? Knowing that the only guys to post that kind of efficiency were spot-up shooters taking open shots when franchise players were being double teamed?

Jeffy25 You'll see some players do it here and there. Just like you'll see very high free throw guys. But it'll never be the league average without it changing distance.

I'm not suggesting that this will ever be the league average. But the league average has gone up dramatically. That means that top tier talent has gone up, so the questions is: are we going to have guys (as in a half dozen or so in the league) who post a percentage around .500?

That's different than "Is the league average going to be .500.

That Rihanna quote is funny af lmao

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast