Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How would a Spurs championship effect Duncan's legacy if he keeps playing like this?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • He moves up the all-time list. His impact on the culture is immeasurable.

5 35.71%
  • Slight Improvement. Even role players deserve credit.

4 28.57%
  • No Improvement. Kawhi and LMA are the stars and deserve all the credit.

5 35.71%
  • Irrelevant they are going to lose to the Thunder.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How would a Spurs championship effect Duncan's legacy if he keeps playing like this?

He's basically a 6ppg/6rpg player at this point. That might even be generous. He's 6th on the team in minutes played in the Thunder series. I'm a huge believer that championships gravitate toward the truly greatest players. It's no accident to see MJ with 6, Magic with 5, Shaq with 4, etc. But Duncan is nowhere close to the player he was and is simply a role player at this point. Personally I rank him #4 all-time behind MJ/Kareem/Magic but I can safely say he's universally accepted as top 10. It was his 5th championship that justified to me the move into the top 5. However I'm not sure his defense and teamwork are even up to par with say D-Rob in 99. For me, a 6th ring as a role player would improve his career legacy to pass Magic. Would the Spurs winning the title change any of your rankings?

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Probably moves into the top 3 all time. When people look back and see that Duncan won 6 championships(or possibly more), they'll think of Finals MVP Duncan winning in '99 and the 00's and not a 40 year old Timmy in his waning stretch.
    Last edited by HandsOnTheWheel; 05-10-2016 at 11:39 AM.

Ive decided to have a legacy ranking and an actual ability/impact ranking.

Legacy ranking works like an rpg system in which every win adds to your XP (Legacy) and longevity matters more here.

My Impact ranking cares more about who was the actual best player for their peak runs. In such a system, this ring does nothing and rings in general become less important once you get past the initial one and even then, no amount of titles will make me rank Hondo/Pippen/Hayes ahead of the best at their position that failed to win.

I basically did this to come to grips with the fact that Duncan has had the better career than Shaq while never once reaching his dominance.

Quote Originally Posted by HandsOnTheWheel View Post
    Probably moves into the top 3 all time. When people look back and see that Duncan won 6 championships(or possibly more), they'll think of Finals MVP Duncan winning in '99 and the 00's and not a 40 year old Timmy in his waning stretch.
    MJ/Kareem/Duncan?

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Ive decided to have a legacy ranking and an actual ability/impact ranking.

Legacy ranking works like an rpg system in which every win adds to your XP (Legacy) and longevity matters more here.

My Impact ranking cares more about who was the actual best player for their peak runs. In such a system, this ring does nothing and rings in general become less important once you get past the initial one and even then, no amount of titles will make me rank Hondo/Pippen/Hayes ahead of the best at their position that failed to win.

I basically did this to come to grips with the fact that Duncan has had the better career than Shaq while never once reaching his dominance.
    Where do you have him on your "legacy" ranking now? Where would you have him if he got his 6th ring?

Kristaps Porzingis

Never had him over Shaq to begin with, another ring playing as a honorary member won't change much for me.

Still be in 6,7 range. His legacy has been set.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    MJ/Kareem/Duncan?
    My top Five would look something like:
    1. MJ
    2. Kareem
    3. Duncan/Magic
    4. Lebron
    5. Wilt/Bird/Shaq

I have Duncan #4 or maybe 5 right now (sometimes Shaq takes over this spot, really close between them). This ring would do basically nothing in terms of where I rank him though because I have long held it is a team accomplishment that is overvalued for individuals. His impact on the way to that accomplishment is what's important to me and it doesn't seem to be very high this year.

People say Wades 2 rings with LeBron don't count because he only averaged 20-5-5 in the 2013 finals and eve better than that in 2012. If people say this ring would increase his legacy I'll just have to laugh at the people contradicting themselves.

He will get credit for having 6 regardless, don't think people will really remember how little he impacted this one if they win it. I think it will enhance the Spurs prestige, the way they reinvented themselves AGAIN to become a title contender with "the big 3" all taking backseats to Kawhi and LMA.

6 championships with one team that he basically turned in to a dynasty has to mean something.

hes in my top 5 for sure. Greatest pf of all time hands down.
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 05-10-2016 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaDe03 View Post
    People say Wades 2 rings with LeBron don't count because he only averaged 20-5-5 in the 2013 finals and eve better than that in 2012. If people say this ring would increase his legacy I'll just have to laugh at the people contradicting themselves.
    you cant take any credit away from Dwade and his 3 rings. its something he earned and it doesn't matter what peoples opinions are on it.

Basketball is a team sport last I checked. Yeah you can award an MVP to a player, that doesn't discredit the rest of the players on that team. Look at the GSW their best player and MVP is out of the line up and they are still winning. How do you discredit the rest of the players on that team ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Starks View Post
    Never had him over Shaq to begin with, another ring playing as a honorary member won't change much for me.

Still be in 6,7 range. His legacy has been set.
    Top 5?

Kristaps Porzingis

1. MJ
    2. Kareem
    3. Duncan/Magic
    4. Lebron
    5. Wilt/Bird/Shaq
    Why no Kobe?

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I have Duncan #4 or maybe 5 right now (sometimes Shaq takes over this spot, really close between them). This ring would do basically nothing in terms of where I rank him though because I have long held it is a team accomplishment that is overvalued for individuals. His impact on the way to that accomplishment is what's important to me and it doesn't seem to be very high this year.
    Does Duncan get any credit for LMA?

Kristaps Porzingis

1. MJ
    2. Kareem
    3. Duncan/Magic
    4. Lebron
    5. Wilt/Bird/Shaq
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    He will get credit for having 6 regardless, don't think people will really remember how little he impacted this one if they win it. I think it will enhance the Spurs prestige, the way they reinvented themselves AGAIN to become a title contender with "the big 3" all taking backseats to Kawhi and LMA.
    It's interesting to compare season to Kobe's... how many superstars give up their spot to someone like LMA so easily? He is still on the bench cheering the team.

Kristaps Porzingis

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Why no Kobe?
    Kobe could be top 5. Either way, ive got him behind Shaq.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast