Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 67
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,094

    The 2016 Lottery Playoffs

    Winner gets top pick in the 2016 NBA draft

    The Bulls and Wizards receive a first round bye for finishing with the best (non playoff team) record.

    1st Round Match ups

    76ers @ Jazz
    Lakers @ Magic
    Nets @ Kings
    Suns @ Nuggets
    Wolves @ Bucks
    Knicks @ Pelicans

    One and done. Lose and you go to the bottom of the draft lottery. Provides excitement akin to the NCAA Tourney. You can now shorten up the actual NBA playoffs to a best of 5 first round.

    My only two questions is how to prevent a fringe playoff team from deliberately missing the playoffs to get a #1 seed in the lottery playoffs and (B) will the players really put their heart in soul into these games ? Perhaps some bonus incentives ?

    Could something like this work ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    305
    no. there is no incentive for players to risk injury in something like this and will allow teams in contention for 7-8 seeds to tank for a shot at the first rather than get whooped in the first round. This is how bad teams stay bad.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    29,994
    This is all about stopping tanking and that's easy to do without all this stuff.

    Just do away with the draft. Each team gets the same small budget for first time eligible rookies (formerly draft eligible). Each team can only sign 2 first time eligible players, the rest can go back to school or to the d-league. Rosters can be filled with players who have been in the d-league or elsewhere for at least a year after their first time eligibility has passed.

    Done. No more tanking.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    22,818
    I can't be the only one who thinks this is unbelievably bad? A team like the wizards or jazz who were very close to making the playoffs, but had some injury issues should not have a great chance to get the first pick.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    29,994
    Solution #2 for tanking. Owners of teams that don't make the playoffs are only allowed to attend half as many games as their team won the previous season. i.e. Josh Harris would only be allowed to attend 5 games next year.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    22,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    This is all about stopping tanking and that's easy to do without all this stuff.

    Just do away with the draft. Each team gets the same small budget for first time eligible rookies (formerly draft eligible). Each team can only sign 2 first time eligible players, the rest can go back to school or to the d-league. Rosters can be filled with players who have been in the d-league or elsewhere for at least a year after their first time eligibility has passed.

    Done. No more tanking.
    just to make sure every team gets the same budget or can you go into more detail.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Solution #2 for tanking. Owners of teams that don't make the playoffs are only allowed to attend half as many games as their team won the previous season. i.e. Josh Harris would only be allowed to attend 5 games next year.
    That would be doing him a favor haha


    Sports fans check out my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX7...ONEiygcjbfyUHQ for nfl and sports videos

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,094
    Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    I can't be the only one who thinks this is unbelievably bad? A team like the wizards or jazz who were very close to making the playoffs, but had some injury issues should not have a great chance to get the first pick.
    Why not ?

    It would create more of a competitive balance IMO.

    And whos to say that they wouldn't get knocked out first round of the tournament ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    This is all about stopping tanking and that's easy to do without all this stuff.

    Just do away with the draft. Each team gets the same small budget for first time eligible rookies (formerly draft eligible). Each team can only sign 2 first time eligible players, the rest can go back to school or to the d-league. Rosters can be filled with players who have been in the d-league or elsewhere for at least a year after their first time eligibility has passed.

    Done. No more tanking.
    The top tier players would then just sign on with the best teams. Talk about players recruiting now, imagine the bologna we'd have to put up with if LeBron got in the ears of an 18 year old rookie ?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,873
    This would be a bad idea...we are in position for the 8th seed but the next Lebron James is coming out, and we are substantially better than the other non playoff teams, so lets intentionally lose these last few games, miss the playoffs, and dominate that serious and get the great player.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    This is all about stopping tanking and that's easy to do without all this stuff.

    Just do away with the draft. Each team gets the same small budget for first time eligible rookies (formerly draft eligible). Each team can only sign 2 first time eligible players, the rest can go back to school or to the d-league. Rosters can be filled with players who have been in the d-league or elsewhere for at least a year after their first time eligibility has passed.

    Done. No more tanking.
    And for the 5th year in a row the Warriors get the best college player, 35 years later, will the Warriors ever have a bad year.

    See my point, you can't do this.

    I have suggested that you don't allow the first pick to be a lottery pick, it is untradeable and goes alphabetically to ever team in the league (by city name, if you move to another city your former city needs to be passed before you are back in the mix.

    or

    Top 3 picks untradeable....if you end up winning the lottery you cannot be top 3 again for 3 years, get number 2 its 2 years, and 3rd means you can't be in again the following year....meaning you win the lottery you can't draft better than 4th overall for the next 3 years.

    This would encourage teams to have to tank differently...as long as the NBA is so star driven you can't get rid of tanking completely.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,903
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFaninLA View Post
    And for the 5th year in a row the Warriors get the best college player, 35 years later, will the Warriors ever have a bad year.

    See my point, you can't do this.

    I have suggested that you don't allow the first pick to be a lottery pick, it is untradeable and goes alphabetically to ever team in the league (by city name, if you move to another city your former city needs to be passed before you are back in the mix.

    or

    Top 3 picks untradeable....if you end up winning the lottery you cannot be top 3 again for 3 years, get number 2 its 2 years, and 3rd means you can't be in again the following year....meaning you win the lottery you can't draft better than 4th overall for the next 3 years.

    This would encourage teams to have to tank differently...as long as the NBA is so star driven you can't get rid of tanking completely.
    Your bottom idea is the only good idea I've heard in here.

    Everything else I've seen has very obvious and crucial megative impacts.
    Last edited by basch152; 04-19-2016 at 01:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    It's different now than it was.

    When he won the second one, Giants fans are here we're outside of their minds.
    That quote always cracks me up.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    29,994
    Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    just to make sure every team gets the same budget or can you go into more detail.
    Say every team gets $5M to sign up to 2 rookies (just to use a round number).

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    29,994
    Quote Originally Posted by mudvayne387 View Post
    The top tier players would then just sign on with the best teams. Talk about players recruiting now, imagine the bologna we'd have to put up with if LeBron got in the ears of an 18 year old rookie ?
    No. Do you think Dunn would sign with the Warriors? Heck no. He wants to play. Players would sign where they would have the best chance to get PT and work toward their next big contract.

    Winning teams would get some advantages, but unlike college the best players don't leave in 1 or 2 years ... they stay for 10-15 years.

    It would be possible to add waiver wire like claiming rules to players a year out of their first year eligibility. So, for instance, the top prospect in the d-league gets a call from 5 teams, the team with the worst record gets first dibs, 2nd worst record gets 2nd dibs, etc. That way developed players who were not quite top tier would be the advantage to help bad teams gradually improve.

    Maybe make the available rookie cap be a sliding scale based on record so the worst team has the most money. The amount they could pay a single player wouldn't go up but they could sign 2 top players rather than the better teams who only have rookie cap space to sign 1 max deal and 1 minimum deal.

    Team facilities and attitudes and training staffs and PR departments and arenas ... it would all matter.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    29,994
    I just googled it for the first time and apparently I have some supporters.

    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...itch-the-draft
    http://www.sportingnews.com/nba-news...uture-proposal
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...nate-nba-draft

    Stan Van Gundy, Kevin Arnovitz, and Danny Leroux make a case to do away with the draft.

    I didn't realize it was a thing outside my own brain.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •