Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harrison Barnes

Harrison Barnes

Barnes was a highly touted High School player who was expected to be the "next big thing", and an eventual number one pick. He's disappointed a bit but has still been a quality player. I'm expecting him to get a pretty substantial offer in free agency that I'm assuming the Warriors can't/won't match. I'm just wondering what everyone's opinion is on what his ceiling may be. I haven't seen much of his game so I'm also interested in his strengths and weaknesses at this current time. Could his game improve when he's not surrounded by stars? He's the fourth option in his starting lineup, but could he excel is a second option?

''Sig by Johnle''

That's a really compelling question my gut says 3rd option but he has all the tools you would want for him to evolve into a 2nd guy on a contender or a first on a playoff 8th seed i really feel like he is a guy that his ceiling is wherever he wants it to be but i think given his skillset now he is in an ideal situation.

I happen to think the team that offers him the crazy contract this off-season will regret. In other words, he will be overpaid vastly. He is the 5th best on their starting 5. Bogut doesnt put up huge stats but dont be fooled, he morphed his game according their needs. IIRC, they were starting Brandon Rush while Barnes was out and warriors were just being the warriors. Now, I do think he can be a 3rd option on offense on a contender given a larger role. But as a second option? Probably NOT.

I see him as an Ariza type. A really good role player, but should no way be one of your top options (example Ariza the first time in Houston). He's best at around 4th option, where he isn't the focus and can just hit open shots and play defense.

S E A N....M A Y N E

Quote Originally Posted by greg_ory_2005 View Post
    I see him as an Ariza type. A really good role player, but should no way be one of your top options (example Ariza the first time in Houston). He's best at around 4th option, where he isn't the focus and can just hit open shots and play defense.
    I was about to say this pretty much word for word man. I really thought I was reading my post before I typed it.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

He is more of a glue guy role player. A very poor version of Kawhi/Butler. The current situation is the ideal scenario you want him in. As a fourth option who knows his role. He will be paid like a number 2 option, but the team that gets him will probably regret it.

I think he would fit in well in either Portland or New Orleans but yea he will definitely be overpaid.

I can see BOS making a run depending on how their pursuit of bigger names go. I think he'd fit really well in Stevens system as that 3/4 hybrid. Would open up some interesting possibilities with him and Crowder at the forward spots. We're going to have like $40M of cap space even if we pick up Amir Johnson's bloated player option. Ainge is going to want to use his cap space in the next couple of years because they have a lot of guys expiring in 2-3 seasons that will take up the cap space once they re-sign to bigger deals. So while he'll still want to maintain flexibility to sign a true stud FA should one want to come to Boston, I think he'll start to get more and more willing to overpay for a guy like Barnes just to lock in another quality piece before the cap is gone with nothing to show for it.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by naps View Post
    I happen to think the team that offers him the crazy contract this off-season will regret. In other words, he will be overpaid vastly. He is the 5th best on their starting 5. Bogut doesnt put up huge stats but dont be fooled, he morphed his game according their needs. IIRC, they were starting Brandon Rush while Barnes was out and warriors were just being the warriors. Now, I do think he can be a 3rd option on offense on a contender given a larger role. But as a second option? Probably NOT.
    regret? nah...

if he signs elsewhere it will be for only 4 years and will also have the effect of bringing GS back to the pack... brandon rush is no barnes over and 82 game season

additionally, if he really sucks it is obvious by his third year that there will be another amnesty provision due to the expected new CBA.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Barnes is a big fish is a lake with some giant fish.

The guy's shot was a little off this year, but he was coming back from injury and had a slow start. I think he is also out of sorts because when Jackson was coaching, it looked like he was going to be the third option and big part of the team, but then Kerr moved Green up when Lee went down, and he got the shot that I think Barnes was expecting.

But when you look at what he does: he's a solid 3pt shooter (and could be great), a solid rebounder for his position, he's a strong passed, and though his assists are meagre (2.2 per36), he has a better than 2-1 ast-trn ratio. He seems to be a coachable guy, so I expect his defense would improve dramatically under a guy like Pop or Thibs. And he shoots around .500 inside the arc.

He's not as good a shooter as Klay, and not as strong a defender as Green, so obviously Kerr is going to be favouring those guys. But that said, I think he's ready for a break out year. I expect he could be a solid first option on a fringe playoff team, and that could be a great second or third option on a contender. And if he were on a roster like the 04 Pistons, he could very well be the first option on a team like that (though a team like that only really comes around once every 20 years).

It's hard to shine when you are playing next to a once-in-a-generation player like Curry, the leagues best all-around player in Green, and perhaps the second best shooter the league has ever seen in Klay. But the fact that he's not causing friction and the team is winning if proof this guy is mature enough to be the kind of player you want on your team if you are building a champion.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

Quote Originally Posted by sep11ie View Post
    I was about to say this pretty much word for word man. I really thought I was reading my post before I typed it.

S E A N....M A Y N E

In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    ive allways liked barnes, but somebody will pay him max money, and he will be a huge disapointment like he has been thus far, he is an athletic wing shooter, who can defend, you can ask him to do too much, its just not his style. he is nothing more than a 4th option like he is today, no team will be able to work with him as their 3rd best player. ive heard some bulls fans say he is jimmy butler potential before, but thats just not true, he has had oportunites, and squandered them, he is fine with mediocrity, even though his teammates greatness should push him to want to be better.

‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

-Rem Koolhaas

Quote Originally Posted by greg_ory_2005 View Post

So $32M over 4 years, like Ariza is currently paid. Let's round up for (cap) inflation: $44M/4 years. Guarantee he gets more than that.

Barnes will get a Max Deal and it won't be from the Warriors.

Hes offensively a bit limited, but plays good Defense, Can Guard the PF or Center at times and he's a good Rebounder.

He's still only 23 years old. Just one year older then Buddy Heild. lol

at best he could be a better version of Ariza.

or he could just end up being Jeff Green or Marvin Williams.
    Last edited by BKLYNpigeon; 04-05-2016 at 03:19 PM.

Reminds me of Jeff Green, I don't see star potential, he rarely even scores 15 and has many single digit outings. I get he's on a great team, but he doesn't show flashes of being a legit go to guy, if anything his %'s are inflated because he's almost an afterthought for defenses.

He'll get close to max though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast