Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    21

    Prime Larry Johnson... Where would he rank today?

    Is he top 5?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    56,906
    No but he'd be very useful in today's game.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    21
    I'm pretty sure that on the right team or with a good coach like Luke Walton or someone he would average 28 and 14 against these bad players in the NBA today.

    Also he was a pretty good defensive player and passer.

    I'd say he would probably be in the top 3 for sure.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    5,353
    Quote Originally Posted by IamAlwaysRight View Post
    I'm pretty sure that on the right team or with a good coach like Luke Walton or someone he would average 28 and 14 against these bad players in the NBA today.

    Also he was a pretty good defensive player and passer.

    I'd say he would probably be in the top 3 for sure.
    His best season he was at 22 and 10.5...And a career 16 and 7.5 player..Not sure how you can argue he would put up a monstrous 28 and 14 today.

    Perhaps top 15, but top 3, no way, not even in your definition of todays NBA. He's nowhere near Curry, James, or Durant's level.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    21
    Kevin Love put up 27 and 14 season. And Larry Johnson was much better than him. That is all the proof. Name the Pf's that could stop him from scoring.

    He was 6'6 250 pure muscle with some of the best post game and footwork ever and a 6'11 wingspan with a 40 inch in game in traffic vertical all day long even in the last second of a 1 point game. Does that answer your question.

    guys like druant and curry are really just one dimensional players that can be stopped. (did you see last night).


    No one in todays NBA would stand a chance against Larry Johnson. He has scoring ability. He averaged 22 on 52% back when the NBA had real defeanse and real players. Also in college he averaged 28 ppg.

    Larry Johnson would be the only player in the NBA today that can score in the post at a great level, mid range at a great level.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Posts
    11,279
    I had a lot of respect for the way he changed his game after his back injury, but the problem with this 'prime' question is that Gramma Ma never had a 'prime'.

    His first couple of seasons he was like Barkley Jr. Small for his position, but great back-to-the-basket player. And most importantly and effective and willing passer. Today, that wouldn't go over as well. The rules are different now, and he's be luck to pull off Zach Randolph type numbers. He be oversized on D as well, which he was never known for excelling at anyways.

    Older LJ could shoot better, because after his back injury, he needed an easier way to score. He had a good jump shot, but he didn't have range. When they brought the 3pt line in, he had a couple of good seasons there, but afterwards only had one season where his 3pt shooting was more efficient than his post scoring.


    He wasn't a good enough 3pt shooter to thrive today, and the rules have changed too much for him to take advantage of his back-to-the-basket game.

    He's be a great rotation player, a great guy to have that can pass the ball, but if you know his skill set, you'll know that his strong rebounding skills didn't exists at he same time as his improved shooting skills, and that his shooting wasn't good enough by today's standards.

    Prime LJ would have been close to prime Barkley, but I don't think either would be as competitive in this league with the back-to-the-basket rules as they are, and the expectation to play solid D and shoot the long ball. The most they would be able to do is play like Zach Randolph with an improved passing game.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    17,865
    LeBron is bigger than him lol.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    21
    Did you see Boris Diaw Dominate the entire GS team last night.

    boris is a back to the basket player that is really only about 6'9. Which isn't huge.


    Larry Johnson would completely own GS today and score 30 a game on them.


    You're theory is saying that Michael Jordan wouldn't score 20 of his points in the post like he did in the 90's. That's a dumb theory.

    Actually it's far easier to post up now with zone defenses because when a zone is on you then NO ONE IS ACTUALLY GAURDING YOU AND KEEPING YOU OFF THE RIM. Think about that for a minute.


    So you're completely wrong and yes Larry Johnson did have a prime. It was age 18-24 of which in todays game he would be in the NBA at age 19 and would be averaging 28 ppg from day one.

    Larry Johnson was extremely quick and extremely athletic.

    Really it's ok to admit a player from the Golden Era would be better today or still great.

    the rules are exactly the same except today you can't pack the paint on defense. That is the only difference. This would give Johnson more open shots in the lane.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Posts
    11,279
    Quote Originally Posted by IamAlwaysRight View Post
    Did you see Boris Diaw Dominate the entire GS team last night.

    boris is a back to the basket player that is really only about 6'9. Which isn't huge.


    Larry Johnson would completely own GS today and score 30 a game on them.


    You're theory is saying that Michael Jordan wouldn't score 20 of his points in the post like he did in the 90's. That's a dumb theory.

    Actually it's far easier to post up now with zone defenses because when a zone is on you then NO ONE IS ACTUALLY GAURDING YOU AND KEEPING YOU OFF THE RIM. Think about that for a minute.


    So you're completely wrong and yes Larry Johnson did have a prime. It was age 18-24 of which in todays game he would be in the NBA at age 19 and would be averaging 28 ppg from day one.

    Larry Johnson was extremely quick and extremely athletic.

    Really it's ok to admit a player from the Golden Era would be better today or still great.

    the rules are exactly the same except today you can't pack the paint on defense. That is the only difference. This would give Johnson more open shots in the lane.
    6'9 isn't that big? It's 3 inches bigger than Rush, and an inch bigger than Harrison, the guys who were starting at forward last night (LJ wouldn't have a size advantage on either of them).

    LJ was 6'6, and 6'9 is bigger than a lot of guys.

    And my theory does't say anything about MJ? Not sure what you are talking about there. MJ was a very different scorer and was versatile.

    I loved watching LJ play. He was athletic and quick, and a versatile player, but his 'prime' as you call it (18-24) isn't what a prime is. Players hit their prime in their mid-late 20's. Usually 26-31. LJ was already down with a back injury by that age. Had he been drafted after his first season, he would have been developing his first couple of years, and given that his back gave out relatively early in his career (likely in part due to the fact that he was backing up on guys who have 3-4 (or more) inches on him, it's doubtful that he would have seen a different career arc.


    And if you are going to base your theory on one game (lol @ that btw) where the team who lost was playing WITHOUT their defensive post player (Bogut was out) and was last year's finals MVP (Iggy, ), and was missing their back-up center (Ezeli) because one guy (who is a much better career 3pt shooter than was LJ) scored 14 points in a game where Leonard and LMA were drawing double teams and opening things up for him, ok.... but you aren't using and form of solid reasoning.

    What happened last night is this: GSW was missing two centers and Pop took advantage of it. If you are going to assume that LJ is playing with his back to the basket against teams that are missing their centers each night, and is posting up on guys he has 3 inches on guys the same height (which would mean he's posting up on SGs and PGs), then yeah... I guess that would work. But that would be very unlikely to happen at all, and if it did not more than once a season.


    There is nothing to suggest LJ would be putting up better number today than he did in the 90's. And again, he didn't have a 'prime' because his back got thrown out before he got to it.


    But, sure, Boris Diaw had a big game against a couple of SF playing out of position on a team who was missing their two centers, therefore LJ would awesome today.

    Great argument.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,077
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    6'9 isn't that big? It's 3 inches bigger than Rush, and an inch bigger than Harrison, the guys who were starting at forward last night (LJ wouldn't have a size advantage on either of them).

    LJ was 6'6, and 6'9 is bigger than a lot of guys.

    And my theory does't say anything about MJ? Not sure what you are talking about there. MJ was a very different scorer and was versatile.

    I loved watching LJ play. He was athletic and quick, and a versatile player, but his 'prime' as you call it (18-24) isn't what a prime is. Players hit their prime in their mid-late 20's. Usually 26-31. LJ was already down with a back injury by that age. Had he been drafted after his first season, he would have been developing his first couple of years, and given that his back gave out relatively early in his career (likely in part due to the fact that he was backing up on guys who have 3-4 (or more) inches on him, it's doubtful that he would have seen a different career arc.


    And if you are going to base your theory on one game (lol @ that btw) where the team who lost was playing WITHOUT their defensive post player (Bogut was out) and was last year's finals MVP (Iggy, ), and was missing their back-up center (Ezeli) because one guy (who is a much better career 3pt shooter than was LJ) scored 14 points in a game where Leonard and LMA were drawing double teams and opening things up for him, ok.... but you aren't using and form of solid reasoning.

    What happened last night is this: GSW was missing two centers and Pop took advantage of it. If you are going to assume that LJ is playing with his back to the basket against teams that are missing their centers each night, and is posting up on guys he has 3 inches on guys the same height (which would mean he's posting up on SGs and PGs), then yeah... I guess that would work. But that would be very unlikely to happen at all, and if it did not more than once a season.


    There is nothing to suggest LJ would be putting up better number today than he did in the 90's. And again, he didn't have a 'prime' because his back got thrown out before he got to it.


    But, sure, Boris Diaw had a big game against a couple of SF playing out of position on a team who was missing their two centers, therefore LJ would awesome today.

    Great argument.
    That's why the young years were his prime by definition. It's the same as Grant Hill, and Penny Hardaway.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    21
    I'd be willing to bet a lot of money on it that Prime Larry Johnson age 19-24 would average in the 28 and 14 neighborhood. With 7 dimes.


    He could score at a all time great level from an infinite amount of ways.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Jose, Ca.
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by IamAlwaysRight View Post
    I'd be willing to bet a lot of money on it that Prime Larry Johnson age 19-24 would average in the 28 and 14 neighborhood. With 7 dimes.


    He could score at a all time great level from an infinite amount of ways.
    At the very best in some wild scenario, he may average 28 and 14. However, that would be on a 20-30 win team and he would never make the playoffs as a teams best player. Especially in the west. How in the world would you consider that a top 3 player in the league today. If he played on a contending team he would most likely be the 3rd best player on his own team, or 2nd best with a great supporting cast.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    39,216
    Larry was a really powerful and explosive player before his back injury. He had to adjust his game dramatically after the back injury. If Larry was healthy and playing without the back injury? He would be a 22-24 point/10-12 rebound guy most likely. He might be a top 10 player. Not a top 5 player but definitely a all star. Playing now with less big guys would help Larry for sure.
    I'm always happy to discuss anything from hoops, to hockey, to reality TV with anyone that is polite regardless of their opinion. With that said if you are disrespectful, dishonest, or an extremist type poster I may not waste my time replying to you.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    39,216
    Quote Originally Posted by LJRobinson View Post
    So do you think Kevin Love is better than What Larry Johnson was at age 19-24? Even Old man Larry Johnson was ten times what any PF is today. He took Camby and Sprewell as an 8 seed through an Amazing Eastern Conference to the Finals. Then played Duncan pretty well as a 6'6 player going against a legit Center All Time great at 7'0.

    Larry Johnson was still very good in New York, but they were a beat you 75 to 65 type team and they played him usually at the SF so he didn't get as many shot. They went into Ewing. Also had a lot of scorers on those teams.

    Larry was still one of the best players in the league at that time. Stats aren't everything. Wins are everything and how you play.

    There are no Power Forwards in Todays game. Larry Johnson would have a field Day today, Larry Johnson would average 30 and 15 today with 7 dimes. He was the best passer I've seen at the PF.
    I was a big LJ fan. I watched every minute of that finals run in 1999. My girlfriend and I lived and died with that team. It is a credit to LJ that he was able to change his game so dramatically after his back injury. It was basically like asking Blake Griffin to only play below the rim. I think LJ before the back injury was better than Kevin Lowe. LJ was taking on some of the best big men ever before the back injury and prospering despite being 4-6 inches shorter. He was a much different LJ after the injury. That is the reason we were able to trade for him. Larry in his prime before his back injury was playing above the rim. He was a quick leaping physical inside player but post back injury he just had to do his best with what he could do below the rim. One way he adapted was getting better at shooting the 3.
    I'm always happy to discuss anything from hoops, to hockey, to reality TV with anyone that is polite regardless of their opinion. With that said if you are disrespectful, dishonest, or an extremist type poster I may not waste my time replying to you.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    17,865
    Lmao.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •