Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Island of Kawhi Leonard (Article from SI)

Great read on Kawhi here.

I'll post a few quotes, but if you've got a few minutes, it's definitely worth the read:

A lot has changed for Leonard since that conversation with Pop—he was named Finals MVP in 2014, captured Defensive Player of the Year in '15 and this season seized the unofficial title of best two-way player in the NBA—but a lot hasn't. Leonard spends his summers in a two-bedroom apartment in San Diego, where he hangs a mini hoop over one door so he can play 21 against Castleberry. He carries a basketball in his backpack even when he isn't going to the gym. He often drives a rehabbed '97 Chevy Tahoe, nicknamed Gas Guzzler, which he drove across Southern California's Inland Empire as a teenager. "It runs," Leonard explains, "and it's paid off."

He is the only star still rocking cornrows, an outdated tribute to Carmelo Anthony, and he shrugs when friends claim he'd expand his endorsement portfolio if he shaved the braids. He is happy to sponsor Wingstop, which sends him coupons for free wings, so he can feed his Mango Habanero addiction. This winter, after his $94 million contract kicked in, he panicked when he lost his coupons. Wingstop generously replenished his supply

Two hours before tip-off at AmericanAirlines Arena, and the Heat have overhauled their game plan. Normally small forward Luol Deng is a vital member of the Miami offense, and coaches deploy a package of plays to free him for shots. But with the Spurs in town and Leonard expected to open on Deng, the Heat decide to shelve most of those plays. To avoid Leonard, they plan on featuring Dwyane Wade in the first quarter, knowing full well that Popovich will eventually switch Leonard onto Wade and force another adjustment. No defender in the league, Miami coaches acknowledge, prompts anywhere near as many machinations as Leonard. "You go at him," one coach says, "you're asking for trouble."
    The Spurs notice how his marks react to him. They wince when he checks in. They hot-potato the ball. They never post him up and rarely iso. "More than his length, his strength, his quickness, that mother------ is so ... locked ... in," says Clippers guard J.J. Redick. "I have no idea what scouting report they give him, but he knows every play, and he takes no breaks. I'm still going to run my stuff. I'm going to be aggressive. I'm going to work for my shot. But I have to recognize he's probably not going to make any mistakes, and I may only get a shot or two in a quarter. I have to be O.K. with that. I have to be O.K. knowing there will be more space for somebody else."

It really just shows the kind of guy Kawhi is. Just really a rare breed in terms of superstars today. (Love the JJ quote lol)

Plenty more here-

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/03/15/kaw...-manu-ginobili

regarding the JJ quote, I remember last week the Spurs were at the Wolves, and Leonard fell down chasing LaVine, and I remember thinking, "so that is the way you beat that mother ****er" haha.

He was so pissed when a corner 3 was hit.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

just read the entire article. I grew up HATING the Spurs. Pops and Leonard are making it tougher for me to do so...

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Neat article.

Bit off topic but I had to go back and look and see how Leonard ended up on the Spurs and holy ****, 2011 was one hell of a draft class.

Irving
    Leonard
    Thomas
    Butler

Walker
    Thompson
    Valanciunas
    Knight
    Morris Bros
    Vucevic
    Harris
    Jackson
    Faried
    Mirotic
    Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by mudvayne387 View Post
    Neat article.

Bit off topic but I had to go back and look and see how Leonard ended up on the Spurs and holy ****, 2011 was one hell of a draft class.

Irving
    Leonard
    Thomas
    Butler

Walker
    Thompson
    Valanciunas
    Knight
    Morris Bros
    Vucevic
    Harris
    Jackson
    Faried
    Mirotic
    Parsons
    **** me. The only thing I know if that the Wolves had 4 picks in the first round, and Kahn had to basically sell them all off to pay for his hiring/firing of Rambis.

God that dude almost ran out team into oblivion.

Kawhi is a good dude. Had a pretty rough life, I used to go to the same shop as some of his fam.

A truly great story, my only wish is that he would enjoy it more.

It's one thing to be stoic but sometimes he comes across as damn near depressed.

Great read. Will share with my team next season.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Pop and TD have created Cult in SA. Kawhi is like their new Tom Cruise. The cult will live on.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Pop and TD have created Cult in SA. Kawhi is like their new Tom Cruise. The cult will live on.
    More like Shwartzenegger circa his Terminator days.

My favorite player! He is top 5

Last night during the game the Clipper announcer said he wouldn't give up Kawhi for Lebron straight up.

At first I'm like ehhh...but after thinking about it, I wouldn't either.

Kawhi's all around game is pretty great right now.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Starks View Post
    Last night during the game the Clipper announcer said he wouldn't give up Kawhi for Lebron straight up.

At first I'm like ehhh...but after thinking about it, I wouldn't either.

Kawhi's all around game is pretty great right now.....
    I would have to think about that, and it depends on the situation. For a single playoff run this year, I would take LeBron probably. But for a season, and especially if we are asking who do you want over the next 5 years, duh, it's a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I would have to think about that, and it depends on the situation. For a single playoff run this year, I would take LeBron probably. But for a season, and especially if we are asking who do you want over the next 5 years, duh, it's a no brainer.

I'm not even so sure about for a series either. Lebron has started to slack on D and his range has got more suspect in the post season. He can still dominate a series but you're giving up a lot.

As opposed to Kawhi who is now shooting almost 50% clip from three and doesn't take a single possession off on D.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Starks View Post
    I'm not even so sure about for a series either. Lebron has started to slack on D and his range has got more suspect in the post season. He can still dominate a series but you're giving up a lot.

As opposed to Kawhi who is now shooting almost 50% clip from three and doesn't take a single possession off on D.
    all situational. Until we see Kawhi able to handle a ridiculous amount of usage and be able to distribute like LeBron, it's tough. Again, situational.

I won't argue too much though, I would for sure put him in the top tier of players now with Curry, LeBron, Durant, etc.

On the Spurs no way you make that trade even for this year. They are pretty close as players so it likely comes down to fit in most situations at this point. Kawhi is amazing as a player and someone who just seems like a good guy as well (this article seems to say similar). Like Hawk not exactly a Spurs fan but just can't hate those guys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast