Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Evaluating Coach Billy Donovan

This past offseason, the Thunder fired Scott Brooks and hired college coach Billy Donovan. The knock on Brooks was obviously not being able to win a championship within that window despite having elite talent, as well as his lack of coaching specifically the lack of offensive sets the Thunder ran during the playoffs. Many questions were raised about Donovan's competency to coach in the professional level, specifically to inherit a team with elite talent, do what Brooks failed to do and succeed. About 28 games in and as of now, the Thunder are currently third in the West. I know it's still early, but...

is he a better coach than Scott Brooks? Is he utilizing his players correctly? Is Donovan the right coach for this team?

He looks like a vampire who woke up in the wrong century.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-54d6b0e2/t...-0208-20150207
    Last edited by HandsOnTheWheel; 12-23-2015 at 10:41 PM.

Team seems worse off, but the roster is significantly worse.
    Hey look everyone, it's "Vintage" Aaron Brooks.

It's early, but I expect the same postseason results.
    Time for some hootenanny.

I wasn't a Brooks fan, but Donovan is completely lost at the NBA level.

never liked his hair

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

He's 20-9 through 29 games. I'm going to give him some time before deciding. I think he's working with a significantly worse team than most would like to believe. OKC is KD and RW and a bunch of maybes. So it's not like he's coming in and getting a Spurs, Warriors, or Cavs squad.

That said, I think you have to give a coach at least 2 seasons at the NBA level before even beginning to make judgments. Being a coach in a professional sport is all about how you make adjustments, whether in-game, between games, or between seasons. Donovan might also have a vision for the roster that we don't see yet because that team hasn't been fully assembled 30 games into his tenure. For me, it's still way too early. But the Thunder are what they always have been so far: Two stars taking turns scoring the ball and hoping someone from the supporting cast steps up.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks All Day View Post
    He's 20-9 through 29 games. I'm going to give him some time before deciding. I think he's working with a significantly worse team than most would like to believe. OKC is KD and RW and a bunch of maybes. So it's not like he's coming in and getting a Spurs, Warriors, or Cavs squad.

That said, I think you have to give a coach at least 2 seasons at the NBA level before even beginning to make judgments. Being a coach in a professional sport is all about how you make adjustments, whether in-game, between games, or between seasons. Donovan might also have a vision for the roster that we don't see yet because that team hasn't been fully assembled 30 games into his tenure. For me, it's still way too early. But the Thunder are what they always have been so far: Two stars taking turns scoring the ball and hoping someone from the supporting cast steps up.
    He came in and got a squad with two top 6 players in the league (along with a defensive center, an offensive bench center, and a stretch 4 with elite defense in Ibaka). That team will not lose many games if they're on the court. Ironically, his biggest problem to me is that he does not leave them on the court. Nearly every game I've seen them lose is due to him sitting BOTH KD + Westbrook and watching the lead they had built fall by the wayside in that time frame. Not sure how long it is going to take him to understand that they're going to need to be staggered better.

Personally I've been underwhelmed. His offense isn't that different from what they were running before.

In fact... its the exact same.

He hasn't changed anything with them offensively it's still a bunch of high pick and rolls sprinkled with isos for 90% of the time.

I don't see what impact he's had. Could be a locker room thing.

There was a point in the season where KD/Russ had some horrible body language. They didn't look happy to be playing with each other at all. That seems to have changed somewhat and I'm wondering if it was Donovan who got it all back on track.
    Aside from the 80s. The NBA has never been this good.

Terrible.. Brooks was way better and that's saying something. Donovan is lost, doesn't understand that college ball is not the same as the NBA level, he doesn't draw up any plays to get others involved (doesn't seem like he does), and he seems way too intimidated by KD/Westbrook. I thought it would get a bit better with Donovan since Brooks was just satisfied enough to win 50+ games but Donovan hasn't made this team better.

They look exactly the same but a less dominant. They will end up with the same results. KD will be gone next year; then we will see what billy got.

"Killer Instinct"

bump

third seed, beat the Spurs (who most thought would lose), took the Warriors to seven games... lost it after being up 3-1.

now that their season is done, how do you evaluate Donovan?

I think he's pretty good. His team almost always scores out of a timeout. KD and Russ never really seem gassed, so minute management seems fine. He also staggers them sometimes, which I know people think is a no brainer but lots of coaches don't do that (Altho that might start changing because of the Warriors). Also, he came into game 7 with an excellent game plan. Somehow the team got away from, I don't know how much of that falls on coach vs players, but it seemed to me he held up his end of the bargain regarding that.

I think he's a good coach. Obviously he has arguably 2 top 5 players, but this thunder team had lots of people stepping up at diff spots, coach gotta get some credit for that too
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by HandsOnTheWheel View Post
    He looks like a vampire who woke up in the wrong century.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-54d6b0e2/t...-0208-20150207
    if that's true, then that avatar you have on looks like Count Dracula

Click photo to see what we do best as defending champions!

Quote Originally Posted by tredigs:30618188
    I wasn't a Brooks fan, but Donovan is completely lost at the NBA level.
    Has anyone seen this man????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast