Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Who was actually better in their primes? Kevin Garnett or Lebron James

The evidence is in large favor of Kevin Garnett.

LeBron

Just close this thread. This is so dumb.

Smush parker is better than both
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    It's different now than it was.

When he won the second one, Giants fans are here we're outside of their minds.
    That quote always cracks me up.

Wtf??? Is this a serious question?

Quote Originally Posted by RateSports View Post
    Just close this thread. This is so dumb.
    No, lets debate it. It's never been discussed. Everyone just skipped over it when Lebron's high school game was on ESPN and Garnett's weren't. BUT is was a different time and era. ESPN was looking for something new to do. So they started televising High School Games.

Garnett is a legit 6'11 240 in his prime. Had a legit in game 30 inch vertical and had hangtime.
    was once an DPOY. Led the lowly Wolves franchise to many 50 win seasons and many straight Playoff appearances in the Mighty Western Conference.

Then way after his prime really, went to Boston to join up with two players players that were pretty much winding down their careers aswell then beat lebron 2-3 times in the same conference to advance past him in the East. This was past his prime KG at age 32-35 mind you.

Even when KG was like 36 he took lebron, wade and bosh all of which were in their primes and Wade was still only like 31 years old, he took them to GAME 7. A prime KG beats them.

What was Garnett's prime?

97-11 is his healthy phase...he averaged 24.1 PER, .551 TS%, 169.9 WS at .201 WS/48 in just over 40,000 minutes
    20.2 points per game, 11.1 rebounds per game, 4.3 assists per game, 1.3 steals, 1.5 blocks

Garnett did have an elite two years (03-05) where he put up 28.8 PER...but this was only two years

You could say LeBron entered his prime in his second year in the league (04-05) but he did get better in 05-06.

But we'll say since the start of his second year.
    Lebron has thrown up 28.5 PER, .588 TS%, 175 WS at .255 WS/48 in just under 33,000 minutes
    25.6 points per game, 6.7 rebounds per game, 6.4 assists per game, 1.6 steals, 0.7 blocks

There is nothing to discuss, LeBron pounces on Garnett's prime. Garnett's two very best years don't even compare to what LeBron has been doing basically his whole career.

I love debating basketball because many have a misconception that who ever averages more ppg is automatically better, but this just isn't always the case.

For those who like numbers since I already gave their compeition level and head to head level of which Garnett comes out on top. Here are the numbers for his 8 year prime from age 23-30

PPG 22.5
    FG% 49.3%
    FT% 79.2%
    REBS 12.7
    ASTS 5.0
    STLS 1.4
    BLKS 1.6
    TO's 2.8

Averaged 50 wins a season in the West with his second best player being Rasho Nestrovic most seasons
    and was a leading candidate each season for DPOY.

He was a legit back to the basket guy that you could run your offense though and he was soo good at passing from the PF position that he could draw the defense to him and pass out of the double teams for easy layups and shots. Then would still get to the offensive boards if one of his team mates missed. Truly amazing.

The Rebounding numbers really pop out too. 12.7 for 8 years!! That's amazing to go with 23 points per game essentially.
    Last edited by AirPippen33; 11-09-2015 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    What was Garnett's prime?

97-11 is his healthy phase...he averaged 24.1 PER, .551 TS%, 169.9 WS at .201 WS/48 in just over 40,000 minutes
    20.2 points per game, 11.1 rebounds per game, 4.3 assists per game, 1.3 steals, 1.5 blocks

Garnett did have an elite two years (03-05) where he put up 28.8 PER...but this was only two years

You could say LeBron entered his prime in his second year in the league (04-05) but he did get better in 05-06.

But we'll say since the start of his second year.
    Lebron has thrown up 28.5 PER, .588 TS%, 175 WS at .255 WS/48 in just under 33,000 minutes
    25.6 points per game, 6.7 rebounds per game, 6.4 assists per game, 1.6 steals, 0.7 blocks

There is nothing to discuss, LeBron pounces on Garnett's prime. Garnett's two very best years don't even compare to what LeBron has been doing basically his whole career.
    I don't think we can just pretty much go by PER or other formula driven stats that have a lot to do with how many points your team mates are getting and other things like that. Also they really don't factor in total defense and other things aswell. Also they don't factor in competition level either.

Remember Flip Saunders was a very "team oriented" guy and was big on all 12 players playing and all 12 players getting about on average 5-6 shots. I've looked at the PER formula long enough to see that I don't really especially like it and to know that it inflates players who keep their team mates 'down'. Same thing with WS. It can be another tool in the shed, but it's down the list and by no means a "end all be all" like some have tried to make it in the past. Although not as much as they used to.
    Last edited by AirPippen33; 11-09-2015 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirPippen33 View Post
    I don't think we can just pretty much go by PER or other formula driven stats that have a lot to do with how many points your team mates are getting and other things like that. Also they really don't factor in total defense and other things aswell. Also they don't factor in competition level either.
    Okay, I posted way more than just PER, and their primes overlap more than enough, and both were in the East for a lot of that.

Bron was better, and is still going.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Okay, I posted way more than just PER, and their primes overlap more than enough, and both were in the East for a lot of that.

Bron was better, and is still going.
    Garnett's prime wasn't until 23 years old really when he started getting big and filling out. This was the West where you had to be 6'11 240 pretty much if I may be facisus.

What about the HEAD TO HEAD of which Garnett beat lebron in his absolute atheletic prime and probably shooting prime aswell. Garnett was pretty much past his prime even at that time. I know Garnett had the better team, but still. They held Lebron to like 12 points in one of those games.

I think it's open for discusion.

also just on pure numbers and stats. Garnett is more impressive because of the 13 boards and nearly 2 blocks per game and the more unique position he played. A 6'11 PF that could play Center and guard point gaurds. Also a top 5 Defender pretty much every season.

If you want to add up the pure stats and factor in the much greater overall defense Garnett could play we can.

Another thing to consider is that Bron was criticized earlier in his career for not wanting to take the final shot or be 'that guy'. Well Garnett had that same problem and oftentimes folded offensively when he was needed most.

The thing is, Garnett and Bron are both so good because they can do so many things. Garnett was the better rebounder, Bron the better passer. The difference to me is that while they were near equals in diversity of skills, Garnett had a slightly better defensive impact (while Garnett won DPOY, Bron finished 2nd for the award before), but Bron was far better at scoring.

Garnett's best PPG was 24.0. LeBron's was 31.4. Bron has averaged more PPG than Garnett's best every year besides his rookie season and did so on better efficiency.

So I'll take the guy who is nearly as impactful on D, who is just as good an all around player, but who averages 8 PPG more on better efficiency. And that is Bron...

Also, while Garnett's teams in Minny were bad, Bron's supporting cast in Cleveland was pretty bad as well and he led them to far greater success than KG did Minny (albeit in the East).

Once they both went to their "superteams" Bron again got 2 rings to KG's 1. And while Bron did lose to KG's Celtics while in Cleveland, when he went to Miami he beat the Celtics in the playoffs twice in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Another thing to consider is that Bron was criticized earlier in his career for not wanting to take the final shot or be 'that guy'. Well Garnett had that same problem and oftentimes folded offensively when he was needed most.

The thing is, Garnett and Bron are both so good because they can do so many things. Garnett was the better rebounder, Bron the better passer. The difference to me is that while they were near equals in diversity of skills, Garnett had a slightly better defensive impact (while Garnett won DPOY, Bron finished 2nd for the award before), but Bron was far better at scoring.

Garnett's best PPG was 24.0. LeBron's was 31.4. Bron has averaged more PPG than Garnett's best every year besides his rookie season and did so on better efficiency.

So I'll take the guy who is nearly as impactful on D, who is just as good an all around player, but who averages 8 PPG more on better efficiency. And that is Bron...
    How come when Garnett in his last prime season really at age 31 went to the East was immediately won an NBA title and dominated the East and then beat the Lakers? Granted he had Pierce and Allen who weren't exactly World Beaters but they were just really good players. While James up and joined the Heat with Wade and Bosh in their primes and they struggled that season to put it together at just 58 wins then got beat down by the Dallas Mavericks.... Makes you wonder.

Maybe lebron is just a little bit over hyped.

As for the ppg stats which I see you're making the End All be All. PPG stats can be faked. Just take more shots. Iverson did it for 9 years pretty much. Bryant has done it the last 8 years in an all out journey and hell bent on passing Jordan in overall scoring points accumlated. It took him 20 years I might add.

Also sometimes one guy taking all the shots like lebron likes to especially in the playoffs because he thinks he's Jordan and he knows all the cameras are on. He's an attention whore. Anyways sometimes that can play into the other teams hands, like it did the Golden State Warriors. By game 4 they knew exactly where each shot was coming from, by whom, when it would be taken and how it would be missed. They then started having guys like Iggy and others position out and get ready for a quick pass ahead fast break. They blew each game open and led the entire way. Then lebron would play extra hard for numbers in the final 2 minutes after the game is pretty much over to be like "look at me everyone, I'm not the reason we lost, my team just isn't good enough"

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Also, while Garnett's teams in Minny were bad, Bron's supporting cast in Cleveland was pretty bad as well and he led them to far greater success than KG did Minny (albeit in the East).

Once they both went to their "superteams" Bron again got 2 rings to KG's 1. And while Bron did lose to KG's Celtics while in Cleveland, when he went to Miami he beat the Celtics in the playoffs twice in a row.
    Although everyone including Ray Allen himself knows that the 13 Finals was luck. They needed a major Popovich mistake and a lucky three by Ray Allen.

Really James has 1 Ring legitimately he knows darn well he didn't deserve the 13 one and the Spurs proved it in convincing fashion in the 14 Finals. They set a record for the best beating ever. Miami didn't even want to play on the same team with each other after that beating. Pretty much ruining that franchise forever.

Also when Miami did beat the Celtics it wasn't even convincingly and Allen, Pierce, and Garnett were already past their primes. Also Rondo was injured.

Head to Head both in their primes Garnett owned Lebron.

Also I would say that Lebron had more overall in Cleveland than Garnett had in Minn.

Also it's the West vs the East and not only that but Garnett played in the Jordan era some. He played in that better era and James never even played in that era. James was going against an old Piston team that was way past their primes and an old Nets team with an injured Kidd and things like that.

The East was a joke from like 00-well really now....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast