Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin n Wangin View Post
    It would be a shame if he never made it to the bigs. There were a lot of good foreign players out there we could have paid instead. Vlad Guerrero Jr. being one of them.
    Not only that, but now we are unable to go over 200k on any international player for the next two years

Quote Originally Posted by angelsfan1984 View Post
    I'm going in on Alex Gordon. Fits exactly what they need. Left handed hitting outfielder with good defense and can get on base.
    The only thing that's bad about Gordon is that he will be 32 this upcoming year. So that means his contract will run through his age 32-36 season. That is how old Hunter was though.
    __________________________________._________

Well there's always Hayward...but that contract could be massive. He's only 26.

Just got Simmons from the Braves...word is Aybar is heading out. OMFG they got rid of Newcomb....What in the royal Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

They gave up Chris Ellis too....their number 1 and 2 pitching prospects for a guy who is batting career .252? This better mean were freeing up money to get Price.

I don't like this trade.

Positives:
    1. We have 6 years control of Simmons at a good price
    2. He's entering his prime
    3. He's second to no one defensively
    4. Simmons led the Braves in WAR last year

Negatives:
    1. We gave up our top two pitching prospects
    2. We didn't fill any of our current holes for this upcoming year (LF,2nd,3rd)
    3. Newcomb is going to be a beast

I'm excited to see Simmons play defense for us, but I just don't think this trade is worth it. Newcomb could have been pitching for us as early as next year.
    Last edited by Hangin n Wangin; 11-12-2015 at 08:53 PM.

Newcomb is a big left handed power arm...should have taken the torch from Weave...

I'm glad they have a rock at shortstop now, maybe this means Boldoquin is on the move?

Newcomb is a big left handed power arm...should have taken the torch from Weave...

I'm glad they have a rock at shortstop now, maybe this means Boldoquin is on the move?
    Who knows. Baldoquin was beyond pitiful last year. He was supposed to be the shortstop of the future and was projected to be as early as when Aybar became a free agent. Now, he definitely won't be playing short stop in the bigs for us. My main hope is he doesn't become a bust, because there were some damn good international players out there we could have picked up instead of him.

Who knows. Baldoquin was beyond pitiful last year. He was supposed to be the shortstop of the future and was projected to be as early as when Aybar became a free agent. Now, he definitely won't be playing short stop in the bigs for us. My main hope is he doesn't become a bust, because there were some damn good international players out there we could have picked up instead of him.
    I'm hoping maybe they flip him to Minnesota for Plouffe. Then go after the big free agent pitcher/power hitting left fielder that we need.

I'm hoping maybe they flip him to Minnesota for Plouffe. Then go after the big free agent pitcher/power hitting left fielder that we need.
    TBH, I think I'm fine with going with Cowart at third. He's a really good defender and he has shown promise with the bat recently. Plouffe doesn't get on base. I think we need to upgrade defensively at second to give Simmons a good double play partner. Upgrade in left field and get Darren O'Day for the bullpen. Imagine an infield of Cowart, Simmons, Zobrist, Pujols and Perez with an outfield of Calhoun, Trout, and Gordon. That's defensively rock solid.

After this trade, I believe were going to make a splash in free agency. We gave up too much not too.

TBH, I think I'm fine with going with Cowart at third. He's a really good defender and he has shown promise with the bat recently. Plouffe doesn't get on base. I think we need to upgrade defensively at second to give Simmons a good double play partner. Upgrade in left field and get Darren O'Day for the bullpen. Imagine an infield of Cowart, Simmons, Zobrist, Pujols and Perez with an outfield of Calhoun, Trout, and Gordon. That's defensively rock solid.

After this trade, I believe were going to make a splash in free agency. We gave up too much not too.
    I tend to agree, I would love to see Gordon get picked up. He actually used to play 3rd base but has been awesome in left. If there is no big name FA coming then that trade set us back for a while.

I tend to agree, I would love to see Gordon get picked up. He actually used to play 3rd base but has been awesome in left. If there is no big name FA coming then that trade set us back for a while.
    I just don't want to give out ten year deals. That's way too long. I feel like Gordon will get a 5 year deal and his contract won't be as high as Cespedes or Heyward. As bad as the Hamilton signing ended up being, at least we only have him for 2 more years. We have Pujols for 6 more. That's downright terrifying. He hit .240 and can't even get on base anymore.

I just don't want to give out ten year deals. That's way too long. I feel like Gordon will get a 5 year deal and his contract won't be as high as Cespedes or Heyward. As bad as the Hamilton signing ended up being, at least we only have him for 2 more years. We have Pujols for 6 more. That's downright terrifying. He hit .240 and can't even get on base anymore.
    That's true...40 homeruns is still nice though. I feel like Gordon would be the best fit on this team. His defense and ability to drive in runs would be fantastic. Heyward's defense and power would be nice as well.

I hate this move, but at the same time I love it. Losing Newcomb really really sucks. Getting Simmons is very very nice. I think, or maybe more so hope, this move signals the direction we are going to take going forward. We have a very good young core of position players to go around Trout (24). Simmons (26), Calhoun (28), Cron (26), and Perez (25). Still undeveloped Kyle Kubitza (25) and Kaleb Cowart (24). These guys all have something in common other than being young and under control for the next 4+ years. They play defense exceptional well (aside from Cron who is a DH and Kubitza who is currently league average). There is a free agent out there that fits into this mold of being young and good defensively. Jason Hayward.

Last year the Angels were only 3 runs above average in DRS. Simmons and Heyward alone were at 49 DRS. So adding both players would put us at 50 DRS. Which would put us 3rd in the Major Leagues behind the Diamondbacks (71) and Royals (56).

This would give us a roster that looks like

(age in 2016) (years left on current deal)

C Carlos Perez (25) (6)/Jett Bandy (26) (6)
    1B/DH Albert Pujols (36) (6)/C.J. Cron (26) (5)
    2B Johnny Giavotella (28) (4)
    3B Kyle Kubitza (25) (6)/Kaleb Cowart (24) (6)
    SS Andrelton Simmons (26) (5)
    LF Kole Calhoun (28) (4)
    CF Mike Trout (24) (5)
    RF Jason Heyward (26)

This gives us a group of guys that can stay together for at the very least 4 years. This gives us a chance to build our farm system. If we go out and sign Heyward our starting roster will be set with only one aging player. We could also use an upgrade at 2B. Giavotella is decent, but I prefer getting a better double play partner for Simmons.

Another thing to think of going forward is our rotation. For next year we have

Garrett Richards, Andrew Heaney, Hector Santiago, Jered Weaver, C.J. Wilson, Matt Shoemaker, Nick Tropeano, and Tyler Skaggs.

Weaver and Wilson are free agents at the end of the year. I think the Angels should try trading one or two of Santiago, Wilson, or Shoemaker for a second basemen/prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by vladdy#27 View Post
    I hate this move, but at the same time I love it. Losing Newcomb really really sucks. Getting Simmons is very very nice. I think, or maybe more so hope, this move signals the direction we are going to take going forward. We have a very good young core of position players to go around Trout (24). Simmons (26), Calhoun (28), Cron (26), and Perez (25). Still undeveloped Kyle Kubitza (25) and Kaleb Cowart (24). These guys all have something in common other than being young and under control for the next 4+ years. They play defense exceptional well (aside from Cron who is a DH and Kubitza who is currently league average). There is a free agent out there that fits into this mold of being young and good defensively. Jason Hayward.

Last year the Angels were only 3 runs above average in DRS. Simmons and Heyward alone were at 49 DRS. So adding both players would put us at 50 DRS. Which would put us 3rd in the Major Leagues behind the Diamondbacks (71) and Royals (56).

This would give us a roster that looks like

(age in 2016) (years left on current deal)

C Carlos Perez (25) (6)/Jett Bandy (26) (6)
    1B/DH Albert Pujols (36) (6)/C.J. Cron (26) (5)
    2B Johnny Giavotella (28) (4)
    3B Kyle Kubitza (25) (6)/Kaleb Cowart (24) (6)
    SS Andrelton Simmons (26) (5)
    LF Kole Calhoun (28) (4)
    CF Mike Trout (24) (5)
    RF Jason Heyward (26)

This gives us a group of guys that can stay together for at the very least 4 years. This gives us a chance to build our farm system. If we go out and sign Heyward our starting roster will be set with only one aging player. We could also use an upgrade at 2B. Giavotella is decent, but I prefer getting a better double play partner for Simmons.

Another thing to think of going forward is our rotation. For next year we have

Garrett Richards, Andrew Heaney, Hector Santiago, Jered Weaver, C.J. Wilson, Matt Shoemaker, Nick Tropeano, and Tyler Skaggs.

Weaver and Wilson are free agents at the end of the year. I think the Angels should try trading one or two of Santiago, Wilson, or Shoemaker for a second basemen/prospects.
    Heyward is nice but I really don't want another 10 year/200 million dollar contract. I agree with pretty much everything else though. We do have a nice young core. Starting pitching depth is there.

Also, Gia was decent offensively. Defensively, he was beyond terrible. The 2nd worst 2nd baseman in all of baseball I believe. We need someone who could field at that position if we are going with a defensive roster that suits our ball park. The acquisition of Simmons tells me we are.

Heyward is nice but I really don't want another 10 year/200 million dollar contract. I agree with pretty much everything else though. We do have a nice young core. Starting pitching depth is there.

Also, Gia was decent offensively. Defensively, he was beyond terrible. The 2nd worst 2nd baseman in all of baseball I believe. We need someone who could field at that position if we are going with a defensive roster that suits our ball park. The acquisition of Simmons tells me we are.
    The thing with signing Heyward is that he will demand an opt out so he can get another large contract. So his deal will be something like 10/200 with an opt out after 4 or 5 years

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast