Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Wow what a fight. Anyone else watch?
    Shawn Porter is my favorite boxer right now so kinda bitter at that decision. Even though I don't disagree with it because I know boxing judges give aggression and control zero value. A guy that runs the entire fight and throws the occasional jab has a greater chance of winning than the guy that is actually making it a fight. It was actually closer on the cards than I thought I was expecting 116-112.

I called this fight with my buddies at work. I told them that Porter would push the pace and it would be even maybe even have Porter winning after 8-9 rounds but that he would tire out and Keith Thurman would work him and get the later rounds. Its what happened against Broner except he got ahead so far on the cards early that it didn't matter in that fight.

Marcus Mariota

What an awesome fight. Porter is one tough mofo, that's all I can say. Thurman was hitting him with punches that would have dropped anyone else.

Can't wait for the rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Shawn Porter is my favorite boxer right now so kinda bitter at that decision. Even though I don't disagree with it because I know boxing judges give aggression and control zero value. A guy that runs the entire fight and throws the occasional jab has a greater chance of winning than the guy that is actually making it a fight. It was actually closer on the cards than I thought I was expecting 116-112.

I called this fight with my buddies at work. I told them that Porter would push the pace and it would be even maybe even have Porter winning after 8-9 rounds but that he would tire out and Keith Thurman would work him and get the later rounds. Its what happened against Broner except he got ahead so far on the cards early that it didn't matter in that fight.
    I wouldn't call Thurman running. He just isn't an inside fighter like Porter is so he needs to step back. Thurman threw nearly 550 punches, about 45 per round. He was very much in the action as opposed to throwing jabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    I wouldn't call Thurman running. He just isn't an inside fighter like Porter is so he needs to step back. Thurman threw nearly 550 punches, about 45 per round. He was very much in the action as opposed to throwing jabs.
    I wasn't talking about him specifically. I was talking about how boxing is judged in general. They don't give fighters who are pushing the pace and trying to finish enough credit.

Keith Thurman is a great fighter taking nothing away from him at all. He does get in there and fight when the time calls for it. He isn't Floyd Mayweather walking backwards for 12 rounds to bear hug his opponent every time they get up close.

But it did crack me up at the beginning when they were hyping him up by his record and the amount of knockouts in his career. I believe they said he had 22 and that he wanted to have more than Mike Tyson by the end of his career or something along those lines. The first 16 opponents that he knocked out have a combined 163-159 record. He has had 6 decisions in his last 8 fights and hasn't finished anybody since 2013. He isn't knocking anybody out now that he is fighting full-time fighters instead of guys that bag groceries Monday-Friday.

But props to Keith Thurman for actually taking a big fight. Hopefully we get to see more of these top guys fight each other instead of taking turns fighting the #10-20 ranked fighters of the world over and over.

Marcus Mariota

I actually think that guys who push the tempo get more credit than defensive fighters (unless they really have a good handle of controlling the pace).

Mikey Garcia is officially back. He's with PBC so we'll probably see him fight the elite JWW and WW in a few years.

Apparently Kell Brook's side is backing out of the fight with Vargas lololol.

Kell Brook vs Golovkin announced. Big names but a waste of a fight.

Where's the Golovkin/Brook thread?

Just made it along with the Canelo thread.

Wilder probably going to kill Arreolla. I wish Povetkin didn't test positive. That would've been a fantastic fight.

Should be a great fight.

Not as good of an opponent as Povetkin, but styles make fights, and I expect a war in which either fighter winning wouldn't surprise me.

Areola looked really fat and out of shape...he had back fat!!! He's a pro boxer and had back fat. These mismatches are a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    Areola looked really fat and out of shape...he had back fat!!! He's a pro boxer and had back fat. These mismatches are a joke.
    I thought the very same thing. I seen this guy with a beer gut and man boobs going up against 6'7 Deontay Wilder and his 36-0 (35 KOs) record.

That and Chris Arreola was 2-2-1-1 in his last 6 fights. Who thought he stood a snowball's chance in hell in this fight?

Marcus Mariota

Wilder getting surgeries for 2 major injuries (hand and bicep). He didn't look impressive last night but I've never been impressed with him anyway.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast