Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Point Guards who can't shoot: Do they have a place in today's league?

Point guards who can't shoot and are terribly inefficient such as Rondo and Carter-Williams get exploited on offense in today's league. It seems like pass first point guards need to be somewhat average in shooting threes, need to be efficient under the basket, and of course need to be good free throw shooters- at the core, point guards today must at least have developed a decent jumper. Even if these point guards carry good intangibles on the court and play good defense, do they have a place in this league despite having a broken jumper from mid range and three? Can you build a contending team with them?

They certainly can't be your first option but a guy who is a dime dropper and plays a little D absolutely has a place in the NBA

I'd take Gary Payton or John Stockton over any great shooting pg.

Give me a PG that can run and offense, pass the ball well, and play good defense and I don't need much more.

I compare it to a QB when someone says thats a great QB he can run really well (when his job requires him to throw).....

Rondo was one of the best PGs in the league before he became injury prone

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFaninLA View Post

Give me a PG that can run and offense, pass the ball well, and play good defense and I don't need much more.

I compare it to a QB when someone says thats a great QB he can run really well (when his job requires him to throw).....
    That's a little different though. Payton and Stockton weren't non-shooters. They both could spread the floor some, Stockton much better than Payton but still. I think OP is talking about PGs that generally WON'T shoot when open because they're so poor, like Rondo or Elfrid Payton, MCW, etc. Not to mention the league was different than when Stockton and Payton played. Position-less players and floor-spacing seems much more important today than it did 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RLundi View Post
    That's a little different though. Payton and Stockton weren't non-shooters. They both could spread the floor some, Stockton much better than Payton but still. I think OP is talking about PGs that generally WON'T shoot when open because they're so poor, like Rondo or Elfrid Payton, MCW, etc. Not to mention the league was different than when Stockton and Payton played. Position-less players and floor-spacing seems much more important today than it did 20 years ago.
    Good points....the primary job is defense and running an offense....anything on top of that is icing. A PG's job is to run an offense not be a threat scoring. Granted it adds value but I don't want a SG playing point for me.

Russel Westbrook and John Wall are both career 30% 3pt shooters. The question is not necessarily "can non shooting PGs thrive" but rather "can non shooting PGs still find ways to be effective"? Obviously some can.

John Stockton was a great shooter and always an offensive threat. he shoot 38% from downtown for his career, over 50% from the floor, and over 80% from the line while scoring around 17 a night in his prime.
    Last edited by ewing; 08-24-2015 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Good points....the primary job is defense and running an offense....anything on top of that is icing. A PG's job is to run an offense not be a threat scoring. Granted it adds value but I don't want a SG playing point for me.

it is always your job to be a scoring threat. That doesn't mean you have to be looking to shoot but if part of your job is having the ball on the perimeter and the defense doesn't pick you up outside the paint you are a liability.
    Last edited by ewing; 08-24-2015 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    Russel Westbrook and John Wall are both career 30% 3pt shooters. The question is not necessarily "can non shooting PGs thrive" but rather "can non shooting PGs still find ways to be effective"? Obviously some can.

You still cant leave Russ alone. Wall on the other hand is just another overrated Memphis goon

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    You still cant leave Russ alone. Wall on the other hand is just another overrated Memphis goon
    That's my point. Russ found ways to be an offensive threat without being a paricularly good shooter. In his case it's hyper athleticism and aggression. Players are not defined by their limitations, instead by what they do to justify floor time in spite of their limitations.

Not sure what you mean about Wall.

MCW hopefully improves on his shooting. Since this will be his first offseason with the Bucks and healthy to work on his jumper. Figure previous season he was injured in the offseason so he didn't get a chance to improve his jumper. I know Giannis been working on his shooting all offseason.

That's my point. Russ found ways to be an offensive threat without being a paricularly good shooter. In his case it's hyper athleticism and aggression. Players are not defined by their limitations, instead by what they do to justify floor time in spite of their limitations.

i agree. You cant leave Russ so his not being a greater shooter doesn't hurt you. like you said he makes up for it. As for Wall you can leave him and he hurts your offensive b/c of it. Like i said he is just another overrated Calipari PG.

the fact that MCW can play off the ball and out of the post helps him as well. I hope he does improve some but worse case he reminds me of what Livingston is now and is still an asset

IMO it's about on-ball/off-ball. If you can't shoot, you're a liability off the ball unless you develop a terrific post game (few PGs can) or are a terrific cutter. Rondo, for example, never developed enough of an off-ball game to not be a liability when someone else had the rock. The problem with that was that he just wasn't a good enough scorer to be the guy who handles the ball all the time, even with his terrific playmaking.

So in conclusion, I think a PG can make it w/out shooting but he needs to have the right skills in the rest of his game. He has to be able to play off the ball in ways other than floor spacing OR be enough of a scorer w/out shooting that an offense can run through him at a high usage rate.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast