Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Again, I think Flores is going to be that other OFer, just because he has no options and we traded something of at least some value for him (Sardinas).

And I hate to sound like a broken record, but I don't see EYJ making this team. First off, he's not on the 40 man roster, so we would have to designate someone for assignment to have him in the bigs. We do have a few options for guys that could get designate that wouldn't hurt badly (or could possibly be snuck through), so we have options. But that being said, its not like EYJ has such high upside that it makes a ton of sense to risk losing someone for him. He's an almost 31 year old OFer who has over 1500 career at bats and has been worth 1 WAR in his career. He's a negative defender and barely a plus on offense. He's had a solid spring, but that doesn't erase his pedigree in my mind. He is what he is, and its not worth much to a team, especially one that essentially has to give something up (designate someone) to keep him.

Kirk N is already on the 40 man and has been worth about 1.5 more wins in his career in less than half the at bats, plus he's about 2 years younger and is a plus defender. EYJ has been a little better at the plate this spring, but Kirk probably provides a better package, and we dont' give up anything to keep him (EYJ was on a minor league deal, so he can be stashed in AAA, at least for a little while if needed.)

My 25 man after Liriano's injury (and assuming he starts the year on the DL).

C-Lucroy, Maldy
    1st-Carter (Flores has played some first, and Lucroy/Maldy can play here too).
    2nd-Scooter, Walsh
    SS-Villar, Rivera
    3rd-Hill (Rivera and Walsh can play here some too)
    OF-Braun, Santana, Broxton, Flores, Kirk N (Kirk is the question mark if they decide to go with an extra pitcher or position guy).

SP-Peralta, Nelson, Garza, Jungmann, Anderson
    RP-Smith, Jeffress, Blazek, Knebel, Thornburg, Nolin, Jones

The bullpen is really hard to predict. Thornburg and Nolin are out of options. Both guys are young, and Nolin is left handed. I think Nolin has a pretty strong shot at making it because of those things. A 26 year old lefty with some good K numbers can be valuable, especially if Smith is going to be the closer (or primary set up guy). Thornburg is an interesting case. He's not had a super strong spring, so its possible we try to sneak him through, but he's a young guy with a good arm (although with some injury history). Jones hasn't gotten healthy, but he's in the same boat. He's a young guy with a great arm, but he's a rule 5 guy, so he has to stay up. He hasn't really pitched yet, so maybe we can sneak him on the DL for a week or two while things maybe sort themselves out. There's a pretty good amount of guys who are still in the running for spots though too. I think our bullpen is going to be a tough thing to predict until its right down to the wire.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Again, I think Flores is going to be that other OFer, just because he has no options and we traded something of at least some value for him (Sardinas).

And I hate to sound like a broken record, but I don't see EYJ making this team. First off, he's not on the 40 man roster, so we would have to designate someone for assignment to have him in the bigs. We do have a few options for guys that could get designate that wouldn't hurt badly (or could possibly be snuck through), so we have options. But that being said, its not like EYJ has such high upside that it makes a ton of sense to risk losing someone for him. He's an almost 31 year old OFer who has over 1500 career at bats and has been worth 1 WAR in his career. He's a negative defender and barely a plus on offense. He's had a solid spring, but that doesn't erase his pedigree in my mind. He is what he is, and its not worth much to a team, especially one that essentially has to give something up (designate someone) to keep him.

Kirk N is already on the 40 man and has been worth about 1.5 more wins in his career in less than half the at bats, plus he's about 2 years younger and is a plus defender. EYJ has been a little better at the plate this spring, but Kirk probably provides a better package, and we dont' give up anything to keep him (EYJ was on a minor league deal, so he can be stashed in AAA, at least for a little while if needed.)

My 25 man after Liriano's injury (and assuming he starts the year on the DL).

C-Lucroy, Maldy
    1st-Carter (Flores has played some first, and Lucroy/Maldy can play here too).
    2nd-Scooter, Walsh
    SS-Villar, Rivera
    3rd-Hill (Rivera and Walsh can play here some too)
    OF-Braun, Santana, Broxton, Flores, Kirk N (Kirk is the question mark if they decide to go with an extra pitcher or position guy).

SP-Peralta, Nelson, Garza, Jungmann, Anderson
    RP-Smith, Jeffress, Blazek, Knebel, Thornburg, Nolin, Jones

The bullpen is really hard to predict. Thornburg and Nolin are out of options. Both guys are young, and Nolin is left handed. I think Nolin has a pretty strong shot at making it because of those things. A 26 year old lefty with some good K numbers can be valuable, especially if Smith is going to be the closer (or primary set up guy). Thornburg is an interesting case. He's not had a super strong spring, so its possible we try to sneak him through, but he's a young guy with a good arm (although with some injury history). Jones hasn't gotten healthy, but he's in the same boat. He's a young guy with a great arm, but he's a rule 5 guy, so he has to stay up. He hasn't really pitched yet, so maybe we can sneak him on the DL for a week or two while things maybe sort themselves out. There's a pretty good amount of guys who are still in the running for spots though too. I think our bullpen is going to be a tough thing to predict until its right down to the wire.
    Does Presley have options left. He has been outstanding this spring. Showing pop too. I think he has better shot than EY Jr to make club. Hernan only other guy I can see making team but I think they keep Rivera who has shown not only with the bat but the glove.

Not sure if presley has options or not, but he was a minor league free agent so he can start the year in AAA.

And as soon as I posted this yesterday, I was poking around Twitter and it sounds as if Nolin will start the year on the dl, so that leaves a spot open in the bullpen, at least for a week or two. It's possible jones starts on the shelf too, so who knows what the bullpen will look like. Lots of moving parts with the bullpen still.

You might be right on hernan. We seem to like him as we keep bringing him back. But I have to think Rivera beat him, as you said as well.

Not sure if presley has options or not, but he was a minor league free agent so he can start the year in AAA.

And as soon as I posted this yesterday, I was poking around Twitter and it sounds as if Nolin will start the year on the dl, so that leaves a spot open in the bullpen, at least for a week or two. It's possible jones starts on the shelf too, so who knows what the bullpen will look like. Lots of moving parts with the bullpen still.

You might be right on hernan. We seem to like him as we keep bringing him back. But I have to think Rivera beat him, as you said as well.
    I would say Maldy, Rivera, Walsh, Perez and Flores or Niewenhuis. I think Presley outplayed both but will start in minors since he can with minor league deal, but Presley has been pretty impressive this spring. Might keep Flores and Niewenhuis though with Braun always having some injury issue though and CC may decide he needs 2 OF. Then I would say Hernan wouldn't make squad, unless Walsh is put on waivers, which I don't think Brewers will do because he has had a solid spring. I think Capuano and Morales may both get spots on team now that Will Smith tore LCL. But we'll see. Not long until spots are set now.
    Last edited by gopackgo87; 03-27-2016 at 11:34 AM.

According to haudricourt, Blaine Boyer was told he made the team. He had a clause that he needed to be told whether or not he was making the team today or be given the option to be released. Tom said he was told he made it. A move will had to be made for him to get on the 40 man, but it sounds like liriano and possibly smith will get shifted to the 60 day dl. Liriano will open up a roster spot for Boyer and smith leaves us with one more spot. That could go to Cappy or a positional guy then too.

Ramon Flores was also told he'll make the team. A collection of guys were sent down/informed that they weren't making the team today. Of the guys so,emwere predicting to make the team, Eric Young Jr, goforth, middlebrooks and Shane Peterson were informed they are starting the year in aaa.

Capuano and Franklin morales have the same clause as Boyer did, but their date is tomorrow. So, we should have a better idea of who will be on the pen.

The positional spots are becoming more clear as well. There's the obvious guys we are all assuming are making it. Flores is now in. So that leaves at least one more spot in the of, possibly two spots with Broxton, Presley and Kirk N as the options. And assuming scooter, hill, carter and villar all make it, that leaves at least two, possibly three if spots available with Walsh, Rivera and Perez as options. I'd guess we keep two more if and two more of, with Walsh, Rivera, Broxton and Kirk as my guesses.

Total different team 2016

Interesting choice to keep capuano over morales but whatever. The lefty in the pen isn't going to make a difference.

Really interested to see some of these guys play since there are some new faces

I miss the days where I was able to follow the Brewers every day of the year, but I still love the regular season.

I have a feeling they want to give Nolin the chance to be lefty in the pen. He should be ready pretty early in the year, so it wouldn't be shocking if Cappy isn't around super long.

Sounds like the roster is starting to come together. Positionally, it sounds as if lucroy, maldy, carter, scooter, villar, hill, Santana, Flores and Braun are basically locks. Two of Walsh, Rivera and Perez should make it. Walsh I imagine is basically a lock, and I'd guess Rivera is the other guy. And two of broxton, Kirk and Presley should make it as well. I'd think broxton basically locked up his spot and Kirk would be my 2nd guess.

In the pen, jeffress, blazek, knebel, Cappy, Boyer and thornburg sound like locks, with the final spot bertween cravy and Pena. This is what most of the beat writers seem to be projecting.

I have a feeling they want to give Nolin the chance to be lefty in the pen. He should be ready pretty early in the year, so it wouldn't be shocking if Cappy isn't around super long.

Sounds like the roster is starting to come together. Positionally, it sounds as if lucroy, maldy, carter, scooter, villar, hill, Santana, Flores and Braun are basically locks. Two of Walsh, Rivera and Perez should make it. Walsh I imagine is basically a lock, and I'd guess Rivera is the other guy. And two of broxton, Kirk and Presley should make it as well. I'd think broxton basically locked up his spot and Kirk would be my 2nd guess.

In the pen, jeffress, blazek, knebel, Cappy, Boyer and thornburg sound like locks, with the final spot bertween cravy and Pena. This is what most of the beat writers seem to be projecting.
    I am glad Walsh and Rivera made the squad. Look forward to see what they do at big league level

I didn't know where to put this, but is Braun the only singed Brewer in 2018?

Technically yes. But I'm pretty sure most guys will still be arb eligible. I know lucroy and garza will expire. Some of the bullpen guys like cappy and Boyer will be free agents. But I think virtually everyone else will still be arbitration eligible.

Even Chris carter has 2 arbitration seasons left. So even though we only signed him to a one year free agent deal, because he doesn't have enough service time, we do have arbitration options for him for I think two years.

I forget exactly when peraltas clock started, but he probably only has about 2 years left (and I'm not even positive he's really part of the future anyhow.) But I think pretty much everyone, while technically not under contract, is still under team control for 2018.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123