Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

15/16 Potential Breakout Player's

Which player(s) do you think are most likely to take the next step to star players this year?

My choice is Demar Derozan
    after a 13/14 allstar year averaging 23/4/4 and a winning record he looked poised to keep improving, but last year suffered a significant leg injury, missed 17 games and had to come back slowly.
    Towards the end of the year he became the player we saw 2 years ago, finishing the season with a really good march, then the april player of the month award averaging 24/5/4 on 49% shooting and a much improved 3 ball

Next year there are many reasons to expect improvement:
    -huggggggeee contract year
    - chance to be a starter and face of the all star game in toronto
    -addition of a legit sf beside him in carroll, and a starting stretch 4 in patterson which makes for more efficient scoring chances than with the paint clogging amir johnson/ valanciunas combo
    -no more lou will/vasquez needing shots

I think he could reach 25/5/5 with solid efficiency on a 50 win team

Potential other guys
    The east is currently no where close to the west in terms of top end talent, but has a lot of young guys who could potentially/need to make the jump this year, some of them include: Bradley Beal, Giannis Antetokounmpo(a few bucks), Hassan Whiteside, Kemba Walker, Reggie Jackson, Andre Drummond, Victor Oladipo, Jonas Valanciunas etc.

What do you guys think? Who is your pick?

I'll go the homer route with Jackson & Drummond.

They will both benefit from replacing Monroe with Illy and Morris who can both stretch the floor. I would imagine both will post some pretty nasty rebounding numbers, most importantly our offense will have the spacing it needs to become an effective SVG led unit (As evidenced by our +/- later on in the season when Monroe wasn't playing and the seeing eye test).

Jackson in particular I'm expecting pretty big things out of, he had some pretty gaudy games last year (31, 9 & 6 on 70% shooting, 26/10/11 23 / 20, etc...). I've made my stance on him pretty well known around here, so none of this should come as a surprise.
    Last edited by MonroeFAN; 08-10-2015 at 06:11 PM.
    Hey look everyone, it's "Vintage" Aaron Brooks.

No, to derozan because he'll never have the consistent outside shooting ability to put up more than 22pg. Caroll will help some because now he has to defend less, He has the tools, sure, but I don't see it.

I think again, we should watch out for John Wall who wants to prove he's worth more than Reggie Jackson.

I think Wiggins could take a huge step forward unexpectedly.

Damion Lillard should average 27 a game playing without Batum and Aldridge.

1. Harrison Barnes
    -15/6 40% 3pt, gets maxed out in the summer

2. Victor Oladipo
    -20/5/5 with solid defense

3. Jusuf Nurkic
    12/12 fantasy sleeper

I wouldn't be surprised to see Middleton, Giannas, or Monroe make the all star team this year. If Parker was healthy and going to be ready for opening night he'd be on that list as well.
    I'm also interested to see if/how much MCW has improved. A offseason being coached up by Kidd as well as working with a shooting coach the bucks hired for him and Giannas should pay off. I don't think he jumps to an all star caliber player this year unless he averaged close to a triple double, but if he makes big improvement this off season and next he could maybe reach that level in 2 years.

Outside of the Bucks players I'm going to keep an eye on to see if they can reach all star levels or improve are Drummond, Jackson, Mirotic, Mcbuckets, Smart, Sullinger, Noel, Detoxing, Lowry, Carrol, JV, Tetelovic, Oladipo, Harris, Vuc, Whiteside, Kemba, Batum, Schroeder, Teague, and there's more I'm forgetting that's just off the top of my head for the east

i think DeRozan is a terrible choice for a breakout player. He's not a 2 way player, and I cannot count on a 38 shot sample size from deep as something that will magically continue as he has never come close to being a guy you want to close out on when at the arc. He's a career 27.0% shooter from deep, and only 38.2% shooter from mid-range. His best 3 point percentage was 30.5% on 2.7 attempts a game. And his best mid-range percentage was 41.4% taking over 36 percent of his shots from that area that year.

That 3 point rate is really bad, and his mid-range shot while good is not elite and should not be something that points to him ever expanding his range.

Now, this is a tough thread because I won't pick 2nd or 3rd year players. Especially guys that went in the lottery, as they are expected to have significant jumps in production early on. So, leaving those players out I have to go with Derrick Favors and Jonas Valanciunas.

Favors I can see putting up 19/9/2 over starting minutes while posting above average efficiency rates.
    Valanciunas I can see putting up 17/10 on near elite efficiency.

Meant Derozan but my phone switched it to detoxing. I'll make a list for the western conference tonight after I think about it more.

Gobert is the obvious favorite for MIP next year I would think. Call me crazy but I think this is the year Blake Griffin finally attains that Charles Barkley/Karl Malone status. Hes still in his athletic prime but hes worked on his weaknesses every year with incremental progress. I dont know if he'll ever be as good defensively as those 2 but this could be the year everything comes together.

I am giving one last ditch effort to stick up for Rubio. If he stays healthy, I think he can take a big step forward with the athletes he has around him, and Saunders was always good with PG's

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    i think DeRozan is a terrible choice for a breakout player. He's not a 2 way player, and I cannot count on a 38 shot sample size from deep as something that will magically continue as he has never come close to being a guy you want to close out on when at the arc. He's a career 27.0% shooter from deep, and only 38.2% shooter from mid-range. His best 3 point percentage was 30.5% on 2.7 attempts a game. And his best mid-range percentage was 41.4% taking over 36 percent of his shots from that area that year.

That 3 point rate is really bad, and his mid-range shot while good is not elite and should not be something that points to him ever expanding his range.

Now, this is a tough thread because I won't pick 2nd or 3rd year players. Especially guys that went in the lottery, as they are expected to have significant jumps in production early on. So, leaving those players out I have to go with Derrick Favors and Jonas Valanciunas.

Favors I can see putting up 19/9/2 over starting minutes while posting above average efficiency rates.
    Valanciunas I can see putting up 17/10 on near elite efficiency.
    I like the Val favors picks, but as far as derozan goes, he's been more efficient when playing with a stretch big (bargnani, bosh) and Patterson when on the floor together. The extra spacing combined with the change of system next year I expect him to get more shots at the rim, and less forced attempts from midrange. His corner 3 has been solid for 2 years now
    On defence he is average because he usually saves his energy for offense, but torontos defence as a whole went from 9th to 26th when he was injured
    Last edited by dalton749; 08-10-2015 at 08:41 PM.

Im definitely interested in seeing how Jordan Clarkson improves next year since he'll be getting big minutes from the get-go and playing with an improved roster around him. The scoring average and efficiency should increase especially playing with a guy like Russell and his court-vision.

Quote Originally Posted by ROY 2 MVP Braun View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Middleton, Giannas, or Monroe make the all star team this year. If Parker was healthy and going to be ready for opening night he'd be on that list as well.
    I'm also interested to see if/how much MCW has improved. A offseason being coached up by Kidd as well as working with a shooting coach the bucks hired for him and Giannas should pay off. I don't think he jumps to an all star caliber player this year unless he averaged close to a triple double, but if he makes big improvement this off season and next he could maybe reach that level in 2 years.

Outside of the Bucks players I'm going to keep an eye on to see if they can reach all star levels or improve are Drummond, Jackson, Mirotic, Mcbuckets, Smart, Sullinger, Noel, Detoxing, Lowry, Carrol, JV, Tetelovic, Oladipo, Harris, Vuc, Whiteside, Kemba, Batum, Schroeder, Teague, and there's more I'm forgetting that's just off the top of my head for the east
    Good list. I'd take out Kemba, Batum, Teague, Sullinger, Carroll, Lowry and Vucevic though. I don't see any f them making significant improvements. Compared to the west, I think the east has better young talent. In the west I like Burks, Kawhi and Terrence Jones. Maybe even Gallinari can finally stay healthy and put up 20ppg.

For the Magic I'd also add Payton and Fournier. Payton is an older sophomore and he was ablr to improve significantly throughout the season last year. I see him being a very solid PG next year. Fournier would be an easy choice for me if we didn't just draft Mario. If he gets close to 30mpg he'll average 15-3-3 and be one of the best bench players in the league.

I'm high on CJ McCollum. He's poised for a big role now with Matthews and Batum (and evrybody else really) gone.

As a biased pick, I expect a lot of great things from Motiejunas in Houston, but as a 4th or 5th option on offense, on a loaded team, people might not really notice it. But he's made huge strides. His post game is amazing.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

Corey Jo

I like that. Cory jo.

With Scola being the only other guy who can score inside, and Biyombo on to help take some of the defensive load off.. Val is going to put up 17+ points and we'll need at least 10rbs/game from him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast