Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    10,177
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedTofuz View Post
    Hoping to see pre-injury Lowry at the start of the season.
    He looks like he's dedicated or on a hunger strike. It's really great to see either way.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5,625
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettosean View Post
    I agree more with Byronicle on this one carbs are not just carbs just like protein is not just protein the carbs you get from an apple is far superior to the carbs of a twinkie mainly our body recognizes the all the nutrients in an apple because it's a natural food we have eating for centuries (basically our DNA knows what to do with this) where as a twinkie with refined sugar is not as easily utilized by the body as it's been processed so much and even bleached (yes sugar is not white like that on it's own) that our body can not utilize it as easily (It's more foreign to our bodies than natural foods).
    Not really. In terms of weight loss, it's just energy balance. If you expend more than you consume, you'll lose weight. The type of food that you're eating is inconsequential. Just look at top level endurance athletes like Phelps that have an exorbitant TDEE. More often than not, they consume tons of junk food.

    Ignoring the naturalistic fallacy, humans have actually evolved to process and utilize refined sugar."Refined Sugar" or sucrose is readily catabolized and undergoes fuctolysis/glycolysis like any other poly-,disaccharide. You might be thinking of artificial sweetners but they're only designed that way for calorimetry purposes.

    Corn doesn't make you fat because it's mostly made up of fibre and water. It's very low in calories compared to a spoonful of HCFS, which goes back to the original statement about calories in and calories out. The only reason HCFS is used is because fructose is extremely sweet and you can flavor foods with a very small amount of it (it's also very economical). This is why you don't see companies flavoring foods with maltose or lactose.

    Macro and micronutrients may affect body composition and athletic performance, but they have very little to do with overall fat loss.

    But to get back on topic, while it's great to see Lowry being so dedicated, I'm cautious to have any sort of expectations for him. Many athletes undergo offseason transformations but their new compositions aren't necessarily optimal. Some will have to relearn motor patterns and find new leverages . Others may realize that their new composition is uncomfortable or detrimental to their style of play (ex. Bosh) and end up gaining/losing weight.
    Last edited by Freakazoid; 08-06-2015 at 04:22 PM.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettosean View Post
    yes fruit has fructose but it's not refined, processed and concentrated like it would be when put into junk food not to mention that an apple has fiber as well which helps cleanse your system. Think about it lets try fructose corn syrup that is refined and concentrated but does anyone say don't eat corn it will make you fat if you eat too much of it versus fructose corn syrup... There is a big difference between the 2. I won't go to deep into it but our DNA has everything to do with how our body recognizes what to do with what we put into it our bodies and how to distribute it, metabolize it and utilize it.
    it;s the same thing, fructose is fructose is fructose... it's a monosaccharide, the rest of that concentrated stuff is pseudo science bro. Fiber is a bulking agent and does slow transit time and digestion which reduces post prandial (meal) glucose and subsequent insulin. HFCS is not fructose, it's a glucose-fructose mixture, it's meant to be like this.

    I know how the body utilizes things, I am somewhat giving you a hard time as others likely will. By the book what you are saying is wrong. However, I get your point, nutrient density is an issue, an apple has phytonutrients, polyphenols, pectin etc. I agree, healthwise you will be much better, your inflammation may be lower with minor effects on appearance etc etc.. however, to lose weight you could eat twinkies. Your body is a rube goldberg machine that is easy to manipulate in some ways, one is bodyweight. It takes roughly 3500 calories (a new paper suggests 8000 which seems absurd) to burn a pound of fat, you simply have to take in less then you burn.

    Your body doesn't know fructose in an apple from fructose in corn syrup, it's identical. However, the HFCS is lacking micro-nutrients and anti-oxidants etc.

    The effects on appearance are pretty slim though, I have seen people diet on ice cream etc, they look just as ripped at 6% as someone eating rice and chicken at 6%.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
    Not really. In terms of weight loss, it's just energy balance. If you expend more than you consume, you'll lose weight. The type of food that you're eating is inconsequential. Just look at top level endurance athletes like Phelps that have an exorbitant TDEE. More often than not, they consume tons of junk food.

    Ignoring the naturalistic fallacy, humans have actually evolved to process and utilize refined sugar."Refined Sugar" or sucrose is readily catabolized and undergoes fuctolysis/glycolysis like any other poly-,disaccharide. You might be thinking of artificial sweetners but they're only designed that way for calorimetry purposes.

    Corn doesn't make you fat because it's mostly made up of fibre and water. It's very low in calories compared to a spoonful of HCFS, which goes back to the original statement about calories in and calories out. The only reason HCFS is used is because fructose is extremely sweet and you can flavor foods with a very small amount of it (it's also very economical). This is why you don't see companies flavoring foods with maltose or lactose.

    Macro and micronutrients may affect body composition and athletic performance, but they have very little to do with overall fat loss.

    But to get back on topic, while it's great to see Lowry being so dedicated, I'm cautious to have any sort of expectations for him. Many athletes undergo offseason transformations but their new compositions aren't necessarily optimal. Some will have to relearn motor patterns and find new leverages . Others may realize that their new composition is uncomfortable or detrimental to their style of play (ex. Bosh) and end up gaining/losing weight.
    I agree that in terms of weight loss it is just an energy balance for weight loss only but not for health reasons. If you look at certain athletes who have had long successful careers they have cut out refined sugars out of there diets... 2 that come to mind are Steve Nash and Tim Duncan both ending there careers around the 40 year mark (really Duncan is TBD and still playing at an amazing level).

    In regards to the bolded I of what I said and what you responded to I never said that our bodies cannot utilize refined sugars I said that our bodies cannot utilize them as easily. You mentioned in your post poly/disaccharides "complex sugars" but you forgot to mention "monosaccharide's" which is a "simple sugar". Before poly/disaccharides can be utilized our body has to break them down (via digestion) into "simple sugars" to be used for fuel in our bodies. When refined or complex sugars are consumed, this creates a glucose overload which in turn creates excess carbon molecules. The excess carbon is actually a waste product and is converted into either carbon dioxide and carbonic acid and is eliminated via the lungs, kidneys or skin. These substances are acid forming and basically need to be eliminated from the body because they are unusable/harmful to humans if not it can lead to acidosis. All of this puts high demand on the bodies organs the pancreas to produce insulin and the liver and kidneys to try and get rid of this waste product.

    Since we went into the demand that poly/disaccharides put on our pancreas let me explain the utilization portion of what I was talking about. Any activity requires energy we look at things like sports when we think of expending energy but even transporting nutrients into the cellular walls require energy (basically to give our cells energy). Adenosine triphosphate is a stored energy, it is used in this active transport I mentioned for nutrients. Glucose needs insulin to a certain degree as a "utilization hormone" for this transport versus fructose which on the other hand does not require adenosine triphosphate or insulin and is simply pulled through the cell wall by diffusion.

    The difference between getting fructose from corn and fructose from high fructose corn syrup (as an example I mentioned before and you brought up) is not that it doesn't contain fructose (not that you are wrong on the other things it contains) but it's mainly that it makes you feel full. Fruits and vegetables contain fiber that will eventually make you feel full (on top of cleansing your body and feeding gut flora/good bacteria). Versus refined, concentrated complex sugars that will not make you feel full and has no nutrients at all.

    Just to summarize that my point into a few lines on the the carbs from fruit to the carbs from junk food not being utilized as easily would be that our body needs to break down poly/disaccharides into simple sugars during digestion where as fructose is a monosaccharide a simple sugar and does not require this process. Basically having our body work less to utilize it.

    I think I've already made this post a little too long but going back to the top when I was talking about how giving up refined sugars have lengthened careers like Nash and Duncan is simple to summarize that as well after what I mentioned above. Basically if your body has too much refined sugars it's very easy to have a glucose overload which can lead to acidosis and we are alkaline beings so what will our body do to balance itself out to make it alkaline again it will steal calcium from your bones to compensate for this to make your blood alkaline once again. This is part why Duncan is still able to bang around with the big boys in the paint at his age.

    I think I'm done my long winded rebuttal... Again I agree with your weight loss explanation of your post same with Necrosis. I suppose I was just speaking more from a health perceptive not a weight loss perspective because even though you can lose weight eating a twinkie you also intake toxins along with it.

    I enjoyed reading both posts by you and Necrosis you guys know your ****!

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,868
    Alkaline I find isn't talked about enough.

    I binged on seafood and alcohol for a couple of days last month and my alkaline level was so low it felt like my chest was going to burst with the acidity I was perpetuating with my dietary choices over that period of time.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    17,593
    Kyle trimming the fat is good, will make him quicker...

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The 6
    Posts
    24,193
    A lot of ppl said that Lowry was only trying hard for his contract year. . its nice to see him putting in work in the offseason even after he got his pay day. this should put those opinions to rest.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    47,068
    good to see but i doubt he keeps the weight off.


  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
    I guess he's finally listening to Casey. Hopefully, it helps him stay injury free and consistent all year.

    I'm often skeptical about these weight loss transformations though because most athletes just cut glycogen and water to look drastically leaner (ex. Lebron) but end up more or less the same weight when they start getting back on their professionally designed meal plans.
    I agree with you, It will definitely help him to stay fit for the coming year. Itís good to hear that he is following Casey and finally took such a decision. Most of the athletes might be using some or the other kinds of methods like cutting glycogens and water to look leaner. But in most of the case, it happens opposite to what they actually dreamed off. I had to attend a weight loss program in Toronto organized by Harvey Brooker to get rid of my over weight and return to be like the one I really was.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1
    nice
    im new here

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,599
    Quote Originally Posted by muhammadusman View Post
    nice
    im new here
    Hey?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •