Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Boom or bust?

Boom or bust?

My first thread here so be gentle!!

I was talking with a buddy of mine about the NBA and free agency so far. And this isn't about the strategy of it but rather, how we noticed that this year, more so than others, teams seem to be bringing in FA's that can make a team go "boom" or it can be a total bust.

Examples:
    If Sacramento can get a great season from Rondo and him and Boogie can get along, aw well as Gay, and Anderson provides spacing, they can catch lightning in a bottle. But more than likely we see a clashing of egos, with a coach that didn't want any of them, and a team that could end up bottom 3.

We said the same about the Knicks. They could catch lightning in a bottle by putting better defenders and rebounders around Melo, hoping to find a shooter, and let him be the center of the offense, and hoping to hide his defense. But likely none of those guys live up to their contract (which by the way how the hell does a 9-6 guy get $13 million??) and this team ends up in purgatory of the dredged 8-9-10 range.

So my question is:
    Why does it seem like there's a sudden increase in boom or bust teams? Is it the new CBA? Is it the way picks were traded like nothing for a while and now they want to get out of it b either keeping it or making it useless to the other team that owns the rights? What's your opinion?

I feel like this has always happened, just every situation is different.

The Kings ended up trading a lot to your 76ers to dump those two contracts to create cap space, which by the way I thought was a great move by Hinkie. They kinda put themselves in a position where they HAD to sign someone who could possibly make a big impact. They went for Wesley Matthews, which I think alone would have been dumb for that trade considering the injury he's coming off, and then had to settle for Rondo.

The Knicks... well, the Knicks lol. They've got an aging star in Melo and came into the offseason with a lot of assets to quickly build around him. The draft pick didn't go as high as expected, but I do like Porzingis a lot and it is what it is. In free agency, they went after bigger splashes... and just struck out on them all. Now, you have to do SOMETHING, you can't have that many empty roster spots and fill them up crap when you have a player like Melo. A big reason they struck out is because of how bare the roster was, so adding a good role player in Robin Lopez will help that cause for next years free agency. Afflalo and Derrick Williams, nothing to sugarcoat there, one is a stop gap and the other is a flier on a talented young player. They will both likely opt out after their one year to again which will maximize cap space for the Knicks. They need to field a competitive team with proof of concept that what they're trying to do can work, and only then will they attract big FA's.
    Last edited by FOXHOUND; 07-04-2015 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
    I feel like this has always happened, just every situation is different.

The Kings ended up trading a lot to your 76ers to dump those two contracts to create cap space, which by the way I thought was a great move by Hinkie. They kinda put themselves in a position where they HAD to sign someone who could possibly make a big impact. They went for Wesley Matthews, which I think alone would have been dumb for that trade considering the injury he's coming off, and then had to settle for Rondo.

The Knicks... well, the Knicks lol. They've got an aging star in Melo and came into the offseason with a lot of assets to quickly build around him. The draft pick didn't go as high as expected, but I do like Porzingis a lot and it is what it is. In free agency, they went after bigger splashes... and just struck out on them all. Now, you have to do SOMETHING, you can't have that many empty roster spots and fill them up crap when you have a player like Melo. A big reason they struck out is because of how bare the roster was, so adding a good role player in Robin Lopez will help that cause for next years free agency. Afflalo and Derrick Williams, nothing to sugarcoat there, one is a stop gap and the other is a flier on a talented young player. They will both likely opt out after their one year to again which will maximize cap space for the Knicks. They need to field a competitive team with proof of concept that what they're trying to do can work, and only then will they attract big FA's.
    I also look at those teams and I see dysfunction.

Put yourself in the big time FA's shoes:

You got Sacramento, who might trade their best player, a coach, GM, owner who all want different things, the owner might fire the coach who he just signed to a 4 year deal, a GM who doesn't have any FO experience, a volatile star player, a shot happy wing who can't shoot, and are coming off 3 coaches in 1 season, and might not have a good pick for at least 3 years (16/17 picks top 10 protected, but Philly has swap rights, and 18/19 are top 10 protected to Philly, 20 is unprotected to Philly)

And the Knicks. A GM who, has never had a front office position, and a coach, who is only a puppet for that GM. You got a star, who can be aloof, doesn't really play D, and isn't much of a passer. They have tried putting defense and offense around him and neither has worked. They have a win now superstar, but took win in 5 years players in the draft. They seem more interested in appeasing the fans than they do about what the outcome on the court is.

Honestly, if I were LMA, Monroe, DeAndre, or any of these FA's, I stay clear with a 10 foot pole. I will not get featured on offense, and have to pick up the slack on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I also look at those teams and I see dysfunction.

Put yourself in the big time FA's shoes:

You got Sacramento, who might trade their best player, a coach, GM, owner who all want different things, the owner might fire the coach who he just signed to a 4 year deal, a GM who doesn't have any FO experience, a volatile star player, a shot happy wing who can't shoot, and are coming off 3 coaches in 1 season, and might not have a good pick for at least 3 years (16/17 picks top 10 protected, but Philly has swap rights, and 18/19 are top 10 protected to Philly, 20 is unprotected to Philly)

And the Knicks. A GM who, has never had a front office position, and a coach, who is only a puppet for that GM. You got a star, who can be aloof, doesn't really play D, and isn't much of a passer. They have tried putting defense and offense around him and neither has worked. They have a win now superstar, but took win in 5 years players in the draft. They seem more interested in appeasing the fans than they do about what the outcome on the court is.

Honestly, if I were LMA, Monroe, DeAndre, or any of these FA's, I stay clear with a 10 foot pole. I will not get featured on offense, and have to pick up the slack on defense.
    Absolutely, Kings are incredibly dysfunctional right now and the Knicks under Dolan... yeah. That has always been the Knicks problem under Dolan, and it's the same reason they could only attract Amare in 2010 with all that cap space and young players, which was mainly a $ decision for him. Phil is trying to change that, he's completely revamping the culture around here. That takes time, but they're on their way.

I don't think players see dysfunction now. Phil Jackson can be selling hot dogs and beers at the Garden, he'll always have the respect of players when he speaks. Same for Fisher, players have a ton of respect for him as he was the President of the NBPA. Aldridge canceled his meeting when it became clear the Knicks wanted him to play center. Not that I saw him coming here anyways, but they've held meetings with guys and all have come away with good things to say.

Melo, he's not a problem. Players want to play with Melo, plenty have said it publicly and plenty of former teammates have rejoined him for a reason. The Knicks won 54-games and a division title just a few years ago, to say neither has worked is fictitious. Their issue was poor team building overall, and really that $20M handicap that was Amare causing a lot of those issues. The worst thing they did was resign JR Smith when he opted out. After that postseason it should have become clear that losing him would be addition by subtraction, a mistake Phil will never make. Then CAA took over, they forced Chris Smith on the roster to appease JR, lost all veteran leadership and the rest is history.

Phil definitely cares about the on court product over appeasing the fans, he just has patience. Drafting Porzingis was perfectly fine with their plan, as Phil said any 19-year old has a lot to learn before they make a big impact and that's true. In the short term Porzingis' role will be stretch 4, then secondary scorer and ultimately he'll have the potential to grow into an All-Star and franchise player, which is what you want with any high draft pick. Winning in the short term was always about what they could do in free agency. They're off to a slower start than they would like, but they added one good role player and kept flexibility for next offseason.

It's really hard to get quality free agents at a bargain when the team sucks. If the team is good you can get 2nd tier free agents for the MLE or even less sometimes.

It's a problem where bad teams need to overpay to get talent to make the team better to get better talent for less money.

The Warriors are paying David Lee $15.5M this year, but in part because Lee came and played well the team got good enough to get free agents like Iguodala and then Livingston to join the team at all.