Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Toronto Raptors: What's Next?

Its pretty well known around the league that Toronto is not a free agent destination. Many thought with their recent success that if any year would allow them to lure a free agent it would be this year. Lamarcus Aldridge was rumored to be setting a meeting with them during free agency and it never happened. They did lure a free agent in Demarr Carroll but many believe he was extremely overpaid. Losing Amir Johnson wont hurt since he was injury prone. I guess where I am going with this is what is the next step for Toronto?

I know Masai is a good GM but he has a serious project underway. With a severely flawed roster and a lot of financial flexibility coming soon via the new TV deal for the NBA does he have a firesale and sell off the team to start from scratch. I think at this point its pretty evident that the Raptors overachieved for the last 2 years and were exposed in the playoffs. I think its time to rip off the bandaid and start from scratch.

It really depends on what the owner wants to do though. If he is satisfied with a great regular season and a first round exit year in and year out then maybe he would prefer to keep this team intact. It is much better than what Raptor fans have been used too since the beginning of the franchise.

If I were Masai I would probably try to develop the team via the Euro Leagues. Try and find the talent in those leagues and develop the players via the D League and the own roster spots moving forward. Adopt a system similar to San Antonio's which would allow a lot of these Euro players to flourish and moving forward I would strive for building within versus trying to land free agents because it simply can't be done in Toronto.

Toronto is a very nice city I enjoyed my stay there but to me it feels like a destination that many Euro players would vastly prefer versus American players who have grown up in the neighboring country and really don't want to cross borders.

With basketball in general becoming more competitive around the world I don't think its impossible to build a roster pulling players from all the other leagues to compete against the top NBA teams today.

I don't think Derozan or Lowry are the players you want leading this team moving forward. I think you should ship them out and just keep Val.

That's what I would do what do you think you would do if you could run the Raptors?
    Last edited by latinofire21; 07-04-2015 at 09:40 AM.
    Originally Posted by jam
    Lin is doubling Rubio's point production. He's much more aggressive to the basket and is a spectacular finisher. Lin also shows no hesitation shooting from the outside and knocking down 3's right in the faces of 7 footers.

Lin has spectacular alley oops, gets tons of steals, game winners and clutch play are unmatched by Rubio.

Comparing Lin to Rubio is like comparing Kate Upton to Rosie O' Donnell. They're both on TV, but that's where the comparison ends.

*they......we don't have 'a' owner, we have 2 telecoms who own the team.

And euro is trash. We've been doing that for years. It's only net us sub-standard players, and big men who don't play big [save jonas, but the jury is still out on what kind of player he'll be anyway].

You are right tho, the team is at a crossroads, we have some talent and some pieces, but no solid direction currently. I'm not in the camp of tearing the whole thing down though.

Lightbulb

Btw.. I don't feel like responding to all your nonsense, but , maybe, just maybe do a minimal amount of research before u post something , LMA DID meet with the raps .. It's the lowly Knicks team that he cancelled on !!

General manager Masai Ujiri and company impressed Aldridge in their meeting, according to a report from David Aldridge of NBA.com.

He said , the Raptors are on the rise, but he's looking for a team on the cusp
    Last edited by RAPS424; 07-04-2015 at 12:34 PM.

The meeting with Aldridge did happen, not sure where you are getting your information.

Many in the fan base believe the team should tear down and rebuild through the draft. Other believe coaching changes are necessary. Others feel if we can stay the course, build on continuity and culture we increase our attractiveness to free agents. A meeting with Aldridge shows some progress in that area (years prior the Raptors would never get a meeting with a high profile FA).

American players seem to really enjoy being in Toronto. If there are superior Euro options, then fine, but I think the nationality argument is mute. All players don't like playing for losing franchises.

Lol Aldridge did meet with the Raps and was impressed. He says they are an up and comer. He canceled with the Knicks. Nice try.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

They have to rebuild, they won't be contending for a championship

he met with toronto and said they did "well". did he meet with ny?

Quote Originally Posted by latinofire21 View Post
    Its pretty well known around the league that Toronto is not a free agent destination. Many thought with their recent success that if any year would allow them to lure a free agent it would be this year. Lamarcus Aldridge was rumored to be setting a meeting with them during free agency and it never happened. They did lure a free agent in Demarr Carroll but many believe he was extremely overpaid. Losing Amir Johnson wont hurt since he was injury prone. I guess where I am going with this is what is the next step for Toronto?

I know Masai is a good GM but he has a serious project underway. With a severely flawed roster and a lot of financial flexibility coming soon via the new TV deal for the NBA does he have a firesale and sell off the team to start from scratch. I think at this point its pretty evident that the Raptors overachieved for the last 2 years and were exposed in the playoffs. I think its time to rip off the bandaid and start from scratch.

It really depends on what the owner wants to do though. If he is satisfied with a great regular season and a first round exit year in and year out then maybe he would prefer to keep this team intact. It is much better than what Raptor fans have been used too since the beginning of the franchise.

If I were Masai I would probably try to develop the team via the Euro Leagues. Try and find the talent in those leagues and develop the players via the D League and the own roster spots moving forward. Adopt a system similar to San Antonio's which would allow a lot of these Euro players to flourish and moving forward I would strive for building within versus trying to land free agents because it simply can't be done in Toronto.

Toronto is a very nice city I enjoyed my stay there but to me it feels like a destination that many Euro players would vastly prefer versus American players who have grown up in the neighboring country and really don't want to cross borders.

With basketball in general becoming more competitive around the world I don't think its impossible to build a roster pulling players from all the other leagues to compete against the top NBA teams today.

I don't think Derozan or Lowry are the players you want leading this team moving forward. I think you should ship them out and just keep Val.

That's what I would do what do you think you would do if you could run the Raptors?
    For a troll post there is a lot of unfortunate truth. As long as L. Williams doesn't return there is more room to grow here just not title contender type growth.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

lol new york fans really trying to hate on the raps? i'm really gonna love that lottery pick via new york this year

Raps should get rid of DeRozan, simple as that, they will never win with him on the team. They should rebuild around Lowry & Valanciunas. Bring a good effective wing, thats gonna take the scoring part of Lowry and utilise Val more. Valanciunas has .572 FG%, yet Raps rely on Lowry and Derozan who both shoot like .410. They are playing stupid, innefective basketball. Just to think about it, Valanciunas had a higher PER than both all star starter Lowry and DeRozan last year.
    Last edited by Minimal; 07-04-2015 at 02:20 PM.

Why would we need to rebuild when the Knicks are doing it for us lmaooo
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    100 says we win at least 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles4Lyfe View Post
    Your on.

Homerism at its finest

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles4Lyfe View Post
    Why would we need to rebuild when the Knicks are doing it for us lmaooo
    lol this

The raptors really are bad the knicks pick is not going to be as low as people think trust me Espn are the clowns that keep feeding people foolishness.

Toronto will not compete for another 5-6 years the way it looks. Even if they get a lotto pick next year from the Knicks, (which is looking slimmer by the day), it will just keep them as a 1st round exit or a non playoff team for a looong time. Lowry and Derozan are gone as they already know this franchise needs divine intervention to even see a finals series.

Once that happens, its draft / D league era for the raps. and that takes 5/6 years to even start battling for 8th.

whats next for toronto? probably moving the franchise from toronto to atleast give them a chance.

Should definitely trade Demar while value is at its peak.
    Between him and Lowry it is a very ineffective bad shooting back court.
    Too unreliable when they're in slumps.
    Package him and Ross for some shooters and big men and give Jonas the keys to see what you have.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast