Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Report: Buzz around NBA is that D’Angelo Russell doesn’t want to play for Sixers

Early on in the pre-draft evaluation process, it was reported that the Sixers would be selecting D’Angelo Russell with the third overall pick.

The thinking, of course, was that Philadelphia needed a point guard who could shoot a solid percentage from three-point distance, after dealing a reigning Rookie of the Year in Michael Carter-Williams in part because he could not.

But most mock drafts now have Kristaps Porzingis slotted to go to the Sixers at three, and it’s worth wondering if Russell’s reported preference to play elsewhere may be partially responsible for the change in perception.

From Brad Turner of the Los Angeles Times:

After trading point guard Michael Carter-Williams, the 2014 rookie of the year, to Milwaukee this past season, it would appear that the 76ers need a point guard.

But the buzz around the NBA is that D’Angelo Russell, a 6-5 point guard from Ohio State whom many see as a lesser Stephen Curry-type, doesn’t want to play for the unpredictable 76ers. Russell did work out for the 76ers last week.

Let’s start with the obvious, which is that it doesn’t matter one bit if Russell would indeed prefer to play somewhere else. That will change immediately if Philadelphia decides to select him, and players entering the league at the top of the draft no longer have the power to force their way to a particular landing spot.

If you’re Russell, however, there are reasons to be concerned.

The way Philadelphia bailed on Carter-Williams midway through his second season was alarming from a player perspective, even if the Sixers had more than one legitimate reason for doing so. Add in the fact that the team has brought in injured players the last two years who were forced to sit out (at least) their first full NBA season, along with the way the team has continued its prolonged rebuild by fielding what has essentially amounted to a D-League roster, and it’s easy to understand why, at least at this point, the Sixers are a less-than-desirable destination.
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ay-for-sixers/

I would rather play for the Knicks or Lakers too...

this would be sad if true but at present the Sixers present a better opportunity to develop and become a franchise player compared to LA and NY by a long shot. Regardless he has no say so I hope he is ready to come here next week

Quote Originally Posted by 2-ONE-5 View Post
    this would be sad if true but at present the Sixers present a better opportunity to develop and become a franchise player compared to LA and NY by a long shot. Regardless he has no say so I hope he is ready to come here next week
    And Kobe Bryant had no say so he's had a long career with the Hornets ... oh ... wait ... no he didn't.

Players playing for teams they hate will not perform at the same level if they like it, and rookies don't have to sign their contract offer.

The Sixers have a reputation of being fine with losing, I don't know why anyone would want to play for them. I hope they turn it around soon.

Lol and how did that workout for MCW or any rookie they have drafted lately? But I don't believe the report since he didn't cancelled their workout

Ill be watching for that Embiid like reaction from Russell draft day

You're right on New York. Not sure about the Lakers though.

He'll be behind Kobe in LA, but that'll be for a single year. While he's backing up Bryant, he might be able to learn from Bryant about the everyday life of an NBA player. Kobe probably has more experience in his career over the entire Sixers roster . Veteran presence can have an astonishing impact on a players development.

He would also be assured that LA will be shopping around once they have cap space. Once Kobe retires, they'll have cap space and the spike in the Salary Cap. Philly seems to be set in the rebuilding ways and might be willing to wait a few more years, and LA will likely become an interesting destination for FAs after Kobe leaves , which means that they could spike up quickly.

But onto the point. You think that these guys wouldn't act like self entitled douches. It's been said before, but when you are going to get millions to play a freaking game, just freaking play where you're picked. If you don't like it there, then leave after your contract is up.
    Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

But Tittays are forever.

I FOUND THE LEGENDARY THREAD

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...es-to-Redskins

Quote Originally Posted by GREATNESS ONE View Post
    I would rather play for the Knicks or Lakers too...
    This... Its what OKA and towns were doing as well with the wolves... these Athletes will instantly be worth so much more if they go to the Lakers or Knicks... He knows the knicks are there at 4 and wants to go to the knicks... If the sixers draft him he will all of a sudden love being with us and it will be his dream come true.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    And Kobe Bryant had no say so he's had a long career with the Hornets ... oh ... wait ... no he didn't.

Players playing for teams they hate will not perform at the same level if they like it, and rookies don't have to sign their contract offer.

The Sixers have a reputation of being fine with losing, I don't know why anyone would want to play for them. I hope they turn it around soon.
    and players entering the league at the top of the draft no longer have the power to force their way to a particular landing spot.

Guess you just didnt read that part at all huh? Its different from how it was when Kobe did what he did.

I don't blame him if you poll the entire league I'm pretty sure 95% of them would rather play for the Knicks and Lakers instead of Minny and Philly but with that being said Philly should still draft Russell if he's there because like MTM said he might hated but he has no choice

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsSwaGG View Post
    Lol and how did that workout for MCW or any rookie they have drafted lately? But I don't believe the report since he didn't cancelled their workout
    worked out great for Noel, McDaniels and guys like Ish Smith, T-Rob, etc. The MCW deal got good value and there was a reason MCW was traded and shooting played a big role (still not thrilled with the deal but ok with it now) and that shouldn't be a concern for Russ. Go to LA and deal with Kobe being Kobe or NY andMelo doing Melo (losing) things when neither team has the time to develop you (more so NY then LAL)

Quote Originally Posted by Cal827 View Post
    You're right on New York. Not sure about the Lakers though.

He'll be behind Kobe in LA, but that'll be for a single year. While he's backing up Bryant, he might be able to learn from Bryant about the everyday life of an NBA player. Kobe probably has more experience in his career over the entire Sixers roster . Veteran presence can have an astonishing impact on a players development.

He would also be assured that LA will be shopping around once they have cap space. Once Kobe retires, they'll have cap space and the spike in the Salary Cap. Philly seems to be set in the rebuilding ways and might be willing to wait a few more years, and LA will likely become an interesting destination for FAs after Kobe leaves , which means that they could spike up quickly.

But onto the point. You think that these guys wouldn't act like self entitled douches. It's been said before, but when you are going to get millions to play a freaking game, just freaking play where you're picked. If you don't like it there, then leave after your contract is up.
    agreed and just mentioned that a little in my post above this. However even with Kobe gone in a year they will intend to sign top FA to take over the reigns so it goes back to the same point

I don't see why anyone would prefer to play for PHI with how they've been running things lately but you don't have a choice. If he gets drafted by them he's not going to retire. He'll play and make the most of it. Or he'll pout and waste at least the start of his career but if he has any intelligence himself or smart people around him he won't go that route.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    This... Its what OKA and towns were doing as well with the wolves... these Athletes will instantly be worth so much more if they go to the Lakers or Knicks... He knows the knicks are there at 4 and wants to go to the knicks... If the sixers draft him he will all of a sudden love being with us and it will be his dream come true.
    yea bcuz guys like Curry and KD are struggling to get mega deals off the court while playing in small markets. I see more of KD, Curry, Westbrook, and others doing way more than someone like Melo off the court.

worked out great for Noel, McDaniels and guys like Ish Smith, T-Rob, etc. The MCW deal got good value and there was a reason MCW was traded and shooting played a big role (still not thrilled with the deal but ok with it now) and that shouldn't be a concern for Russ. Go to LA and deal with Kobe being Kobe or NY andMelo doing Melo (losing) things when neither team has the time to develop you (more so NY then LAL)
    So you guys developed MCW when shooting was his biggest weakness, and that wasn't even close to being developed.

Developed McDaniels only to trade him

Developed Ish Smith (), we did the same with Langston Galloway, an undrafted FA who made second rookie team, does that count as developing. I'll give you Noel but that's pretty much it

So basically you develop players then trade him, and with team/organization that accepts losing and is proud of it if I'm Russell I wouldn't want to think going to Philly...

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast