Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: 2015 MLB Draft

2015 MLB Draft

...is tonight. Baseball drafts are meh since we don't see the prospects drafted contribute for quite some time, but this is the highest the Rangers have picked since 1986 (when they took Kevin Brown at #4) so the potential to get a really solid prospect is good. This isn't a loaded draft by any means, but there are 4 really good prospects that stand out above the rest, so the Rangers are guaranteed one of them. Dansby Swanson (the best one), Alex Bergman and Brendan Rogers are all shortstops while Dillon Tate is a big hard throwing righty with some weird mechanics but really good stuff. I think the Rangers end up with Tate.

2015 MLB Draft

I really wanted Rogers his potential screams healthy tulo, but it would be absolutely amazing if we hit on Tate.. He has the tools, and everyone is saying he has tremendous work ethic. I'm going to be interested to see how he progresses. We have a bunch of young arms in the system now, but we all remember how the DVD experiment went.

John Danks and Edinson Volquez were both really good players, just not for the Rangers. I'm not a fan of John Hart's GM abilities and have no idea why he kept Thomas Diamond out of the three, who threw the hardest but also had the least development on his secondary stuff. But I do trust the scouting and development people that are in place now so I think Dillon Tate, at the very least, is a future lights out closer. If things go right, he has the body to be a miniature David Price.

2015 MLB Draft

Funny you said that. My initial thoughts were the right handed version of price ceiling for tate. The younger Felix Hernandez(Luis Ortiz) we drafted last year is another one that I think will be a big part of out future. We've taken a lot of pitchers so far in this draft were bound to hit on a couple. Mike Martuella was a guy predicted to go top 5 even possibly #1 over all before the tommy john, we may have gone with the cowboys approach an lucked out on top 2 pitchers thru 3 rounds. Only time will tell

Picking up Matuella is really risky. I can see why they gambled on a guy with his potential, and I would love for him to pan out because he has the best pure stuff in the draft. He just has a lot of health problems. Even before his TJ surgery, he had a degenerative osteoarthritis issue in his back, which is still a concern. He has tried to pitch through that and it affected his mechanics significantly, to the point that his fastball was barely at 90 mph and he lacked his usual command with his secondary pitches. I think there is a very good chance he doesn't pan out at all, but the ceiling is so high that its a worthwhile gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by harlequin018 View Post
    John Danks and Edinson Volquez were both really good players, just not for the Rangers. I'm not a fan of John Hart's GM abilities and have no idea why he kept Thomas Diamond out of the three, who threw the hardest but also had the least development on his secondary stuff. But I do trust the scouting and development people that are in place now so I think Dillon Tate, at the very least, is a future lights out closer. If things go right, he has the body to be a miniature David Price.
    Problem is, Tate isn't Price. He has one short season of starting. I also hope someone drafted benefits the ML club but JD hasn't had the best record until Chi Chi and Gallo. Tate is a risk as a starting pitcher and do you really spend a #4 on the draft for a reliever? None of the selections are sure things. Wasn't the reason we were all excited about such a great draft position was the higher quality drafts? Risk is everywhere. Always is. But the #4 slot should be more sure thing. Could turn out well. Could be a bust. I know the Rangers are all saying they like it but, what do neutral evaluators say about this draft?

2015 MLB Draft

Every one I've read has picked the rangers as winners coming out of the draft

Quote Originally Posted by texassooner View Post
    Problem is, Tate isn't Price. He has one short season of starting. I also hope someone drafted benefits the ML club but JD hasn't had the best record until Chi Chi and Gallo. Tate is a risk as a starting pitcher and do you really spend a #4 on the draft for a reliever? None of the selections are sure things. Wasn't the reason we were all excited about such a great draft position was the higher quality drafts? Risk is everywhere. Always is. But the #4 slot should be more sure thing. Could turn out well. Could be a bust. I know the Rangers are all saying they like it but, what do neutral evaluators say about this draft?
    You're dead on. This was a weak draft with few elite prospects. I do think that Tate has the highest ceiling of any pitcher in the draft however, its just that he will take time to develop his secondary stuff. If everything clicks, you might have an ace. If not, you have a stud closer. At #4, getting a solid major league contributor is a good get and I think the Rangers got that.

Quote Originally Posted by TS8821 View Post
    Every one I've read has picked the rangers as winners coming out of the draft
    Great. What are some of those websites? I haven't read them. Thanks.

Just saw this but I use bleacher report on my phone and what I had been reading at the time was all posted there