Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by waveone View Post
    First- go ahead and name half of them then show me where there was interest in him- I'll wait

Second- you prove my point about how stupid strict sabermetrics are when used as the primary model for a team. His WAR, BABIP OBP ad infinitum is pointless if his B R A I N is dysfunctional his ATTITUDE is DOA and his HEART is AWOL.

There is some sabermetrics of mine I use to gauge teams. In either case this is a draw ticket for the Rangers FO because they have FAILED thus far.

Choo- last I checked he was touted as a better fielder than Cruz and a more consistent at- bat which was why they took him and at a heavy price. To use your analogy a dozen other teams probably more would not have taken that trade at probably half that price because of his perceived decline.

Fielder- he has become a great singles hitter which is not what you look for in a DH.

We can continue but that is pointless. The play is evident on the field for everyone to see and the score board never lies.
    By the way (via ESPN):

The Rangers weren't the only team interested in Hamilton

According to my sources, the San Diego Padres attempted to trade for Josh Hamilton before he was dealt to the Rangers. Padres GM A.J. Preller had a good relationship with Hamilton from their time together in Texas. On the surface, a trade for Hamilton wouldn't have made sense for the Padres, given that they already have a strong outfield of Matt Kemp, Wil Myers and Justin Upton. But Upton is a free agent at season's end and if Hamilton were able to make a comeback, with the Angels paying most of the freight, it would have been a worthwhile insurance gamble. Obviously it was a moot point, as Hamilton told the Angels that the Rangers were the only team for which he'd waive his no-trade clause.

Hamilton hit to homeruns tonight...he won this game with his bombs and his walk that kept the inning going that ended up locking it down.

DeShields, Choo, Fielder, Beltre, Hamilton, Moreland...not a bad first 6.

Odor is crushing AAA. If Martin doesn't turn it around, I'm okay with him going on the DL with a strained something or other and using DeShields in his place with Odor back at second (please stop giving Field regular at bats, he's atrocious). Gives the lineup a little balance too since with Gallo playing in place of Beltre, the team is extremely lefty heavy (Gallo, Martin, Hamilton, Choo, Moreland, Prince are all lefties).

Quote Originally Posted by harlequin018 View Post
    Odor is crushing AAA. If Martin doesn't turn it around, I'm okay with him going on the DL with a strained something or other and using DeShields in his place with Odor back at second (please stop giving Field regular at bats, he's atrocious). Gives the lineup a little balance too since with Gallo playing in place of Beltre, the team is extremely lefty heavy (Gallo, Martin, Hamilton, Choo, Moreland, Prince are all lefties).
    That Joey Gallo kid, he did pretty OK, I guess. It's only one game and I'm sure some pitchers will find some holes once more tape is available on him. I half halfheartedly buy into that theory though, it's not like they can't find tape of his AB's in the minors.
    Dallas Mavericks 2010-11 NBA CHAMPIONS
    Dirk Nowitzki 2010-2011 Finals MVP

Texas Rangers 2010, 2011 AL West & AL Champions

By the way (via ESPN):

The Rangers weren't the only team interested in Hamilton
    I guarantee you, there are probably a dozen teams that would be interested in Hamilton if the cost was less than $2mm a season.
    OK, but you're still wrong, and me too -sort of . Since when does one team's interest or purported "attempt" to trade qualify as a dozen teams? Other than fuzzy math 12>1.

Regardless as I also stated, this trade could be good for Hamilton and good for the Rangers. Yet that seemed to escape your notice.

At this point, that looks to be the case, but there is a lot of baseball to left to play. For his sake and theirs I hope he stays engaged and productive.

All in all though I think we can agree that Texas Rangers baseball is fun to watch right now
    Last edited by waveone; 06-04-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDFan85 View Post
    That Joey Gallo kid, he did pretty OK, I guess. It's only one game and I'm sure some pitchers will find some holes once more tape is available on him. I half halfheartedly buy into that theory though, it's not like they can't find tape of his AB's in the minors.
    I like the amount of lefties in the lineup. Gallo seems to be a baller, but time will tell. What I liked is he did not freeze on the big stage, though the Sox kind of sucked the other night -LOL.

1. Don't be childish. Private conversations between GMs are just that, private. His on the field value exceeds his costs so a team will do its due diligence and check in.

2. I don't disagree with you, Hamilton is a manchild. However, he's a very talented manchild that can still contribute with his immense physical tools despite his limitations in the head. There's no doubt that those things hold him back, but the on field performance that sabermetrics measures is a composite of all of the factors that make a baseball player. You can't measure "attitude" numerically by itself, but its a piece that helps determine WAR.

3. Choo is a slightly better fielder than Cruz. He takes better angles and plays a little smarter. Cruz has a bigger arm. They both cover roughly the same amount of ground. But they are both pretty bad when compared to the average right fielder.

4. Fielder's OPS this year is .910. His career average? .910. Yea, his slugging is down about 40 points, but you're talking about 70 at bats after a missed season. Is he hitting 50 home runs again? No. But can you see him hitting 35? I can. Fielder is the only guy on the team making consistent hard contact. By the way, Ian Kinsler's OPS is .756 hitting in front of one of the best hitters in the majors.

Well, I'm not being childish- as we both see we speculated and were basically wrong.

The other points you make are well stated. However for the most part the trades/acquisitions/releases you mention qualify as a push to me considering last year. That does not take into account the team chemistry. However, at this point it appears that all are beginning to buy into each other and even Bannister.

I will say that Fielder is looking great and Choo is surprising me with his productivity. Next year may be a different story, but it is fun right now.

Hamilton could continue to prove to be an asset and a steal. As I stated much earlier this is a good fit for him and likely the only place he could return to some measure of his previous form.

Let's hope that continues.
    Last edited by waveone; 06-04-2015 at 01:46 PM.

Lol, this guy...

9. 08-09-2015, 05:38 PM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12