Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    but jackson is in CF and i think is coming back soon.

Mariners Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rain City View Post
    does miller have enough bat to be in OF tho? i agree you have to look at taylor as our 9 hitter.

i didnt really like miller moving off full-time SS so quickly and being forced to learn new positions on the fly while he still needs to develop offensively. but i guess we can thank jackson's injury and ackley and weeks absolutely sucking for that.
    He has a 110 wRC+ right now, 3rd best on the team I think.. He definitely has the bat for CF, and in a corner he could replace Ackley as a platoon guy. he is killing righties, but has a negative wRC+ against lefties. That will certainly regress to the mean some and he won't be nearly that bad against them going forward, but he may be best suited as a platoon. It will probably depend on how defense and how the rest of the roster looks next year. I just want a legitimate outfielder who can hit and field, I'm sick of Cruz and Smith looking like morons out there together. One bad OF at a time, please.

but jackson is in CF and i think is coming back soon.
    For this year yeah, but he is a FA after the year and I don't see much reason to extend him with guys like Heyward, Upton, etc. hitting the market.

Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    For this year yeah, but he is a FA after the year and I don't see much reason to extend him with guys like Heyward, Upton, etc. hitting the market.
    good point. hopefully jackson kills when he gets back and tempts us to want to keep him but i think i could deal with miller as our CF after this year. until than hopefully does well as a utility. who knows he might even be better than a jax now.

i can't stand heyward. i drafted him AGAIN in fantasy and he sucks. great skill set, disappointing player. keep falling for his upside. i thought he would ball out going to STL and they continue to drop him in the lineup. let someone else overpay. sorry not related but can't help but rant about him.

Ian. Guest
    Jackson is a free agent after the season. Miller being a solid backup plan at CF if we can't land a better free agent is kinda what I'm thinking.

Ian. Guest
    I don't care what Heyward does as a fantasy baseball player if he's a 3-5 win player with exceptional defense. Sign me up

He has a 110 wRC+ right now, 3rd best on the team I think.. He definitely has the bat for CF, and in a corner he could replace Ackley as a platoon guy. he is killing righties, but has a negative wRC+ against lefties. That will certainly regress to the mean some and he won't be nearly that bad against them going forward, but he may be best suited as a platoon. It will probably depend on how defense and how the rest of the roster looks next year. I just want a legitimate outfielder who can hit and field, I'm sick of Cruz and Smith looking like morons out there together. One bad OF at a time, please.
    i find myself having faith in miller but i don't want to ignore his awful year last yr bc of a small sample this year.

Yeah, the things that get fantasy points are often pretty dumb ways to evaluate a player. The dude is still awesome. Probably won't hit the way he was supposed to, but he can take a walk, has shown power in the past, and is probably the best defensive corner OF in the game.

i find myself having faith in miller but i don't want to ignore his awful year last yr bc of a small sample this year.
    The thing is, he was really only bad for 3 months last year. April and May, and then again in July for some reason in a smaller sample after Taylor came up. Before this year if you excluded April and May of 2014 (leaving in his terrible July) he had something like a career .265/.320/.420 slash.

The thing is, he was really only bad for 3 months last year. April and May, and then again in July for some reason in a smaller sample after Taylor came up. Before this year if you excluded April and May of 2014 (leaving in his terrible July) he had something like a career .265/.320/.420 slash.
    ONLY! sounds like a smoak and ackley defense. the hole picture was terrible, especially for OF projection. good thing this season is showing positive development but still very early.

Ian. Guest
    Except Smoak and Ackley aren't good.

ONLY! sounds like a smoak and ackley defense. the hole picture was terrible, especially for OF projection. good thing this season is showing positive development but still very early.
    Yeah, and 3 months isn't enough to overtake his rookie year, this year, and his potential. Why do three bad months matter, but like 8 good months don't? That's just pessimism.

Yeah, and 3 months isn't enough to overtake his rookie year, this year, and his potential. Why do three bad months matter, but like 8 good months don't? That's just pessimism.
    why don't you look at the entire season as a hole? his only one in the bigs.

for his career. .304OB, 20HR in 230 games, 97wRC+. i would like to see these number come up quite a bit if we give him an OF spot. don't get me wrong, i have some faith in him, i really do, he's young and developing needs to go in account, but i try not to make assumptions based on homer goggles leads to a let down.

and we haven't even talked about where to bat him. he's far from proven he can bat at the top of a good lineup which is where we are trying to force him right now. with exception of seager this team's young players are still a bunch of 7-9hitters at best.

Ian. Guest
    Heyward doesn't hit dingers so he sucks

why don't you look at the entire season as a hole? his only one in the bigs.

for his career. .304OB, 20HR in 230 games, 97wRC+. i would like to see these number come up quite a bit if we give him an OF spot. don't get me wrong, i have some faith in him, i really do, he's young and developing needs to go in account, but i try not to make assumptions based on homer goggles leads to a let down.

and we haven't even talked about where to bat him. he's far from proven he can bat at the top of a good lineup which is where we are trying to force him right now. with exception of seager this team's young players are still a bunch of 7-9hitters at best.
    But you are okay with Austin Jackson who has been a worse hitter with the Mariners and doesn't have the upside left that Brad does? 97 wRC+ is almost league average, and that's with 3 months that are completely uncharacteristic with a guy who has less than 2 full years. If he played average defense in CF even without an offensive increase (which I expect he will have) that's an above average player.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast